General Fight Club

Laz

Developer
I was in the mindset of neither, simply because they are way too dependent on mana, though from playing Thoctar in Scuttle-cube, I realise that they are playable in environments with really good fixing. That said, even in an environment that fixing-heavy (it runs fetch-able Vivids for crying out loud!) Thoctar is still difficult to cast on curve. Of the two, Doran is probably more interesting, given the effect he has on the game, but he is in a colour combination which doesn't really get played too often in my experience. Naya gets played a lot more because all of those colours often are built to do similar things(they are generally trying to hit the opponent in the face with creatures), while black being paired with white or green generally wants to play a longer more attrition-oriented game (at least in my cube), and probably doesn't want a big cheap beater as much.

My verdict is Thoctar. It is boring, but Boros or Gruul splashing the third colour gets played often enough in my cube and would love a 5-power 3-drop. That said, neither is also pretty viable, as I don't know if this is incentive enough to be forced into drafting fixing that aggressively.

Sidenote, in Ulvenwald Tracker's fight club, Thoctar destroys something beautiful.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Doran obv

It's more interesting, a better card, in a colour combination that doesn't get as much help, and actually interacts in fun ways with other cards, and isn't pretty much worse than less restrictive options (cf. Loxodon Smiter)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Wolly Thoctar is totally cooler. I mean, the idea of crushing face with a sheep is cool I guess, randomly getting a 5 power 2 drop because you played a 5 power three drop seems oddly inappropriate. The beast just does what it does with benchmark creating stats and I respect a man who beats face without any bullshit drama or repeated graveyard counting.

I think tinker is better because its easier to design around.

Snuff out is definitely a stronger card then slaughter pact and I used to love it before free removal had to be cut in order to push auras.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Agree with Snuff Out being the better card, because it only ties up your mana when you can afford it and because it comes online quicker. I would totally Snuff Out a Goblin Guide for example. It's also the better art incidentally.

vs.

vs.

(Am I going too fast?)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Agree with Snuff Out being the better card, because it only ties up your mana when you can afford it and because it comes online quicker. I would totally Snuff Out a Goblin Guide for example. It's also the better art incidentally.

vs.

vs.

(Am I going too fast?)

How is monger vs Nyx Weaver even a question

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh, I get that Spiritmonger is the more powerful card in a vacuum, but green isn't exactly lacking powerful 5-drops, so I was wondering if Nyx Weaver is interesting enough to make the swap.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oh, I get that Spiritmonger is the more powerful card in a vacuum, but green isn't exactly lacking powerful 5-drops, so I was wondering if Nyx Weaver is interesting enough to make the swap.

I guess, but nyx weaver is one of those cards that doesn't really justify the second color to me

Augur has been more interesting than omenspeaker. More draft/deckbuilding decisions, can generate advantage, the information is relevant, etc. Omenspeaker is a human...
But yeah, I cut omenspeaker to make room for other stuff and kept augur.

Augur has been more interesting than omenspeaker. More draft/deckbuilding decisions, can generate advantage, the information is relevant, etc. Omenspeaker is a human...
But yeah, I cut omenspeaker to make room for other stuff and kept augur.
yo are you the same MCMcEmcee as the one that played fighting games and starcraft?

it's been a while, cool to see you around in a completely unrelated place. sorry if i was a bit dumb back in the day on that other site, i've grown a bit as a person since then. welcome to riptidelab!

CML

Contributor
Doran: because Birds of Paradise, Spellskite and Deathrite Shaman need to be better cards, clearly.

there are two choices here:

-don't power-max your 3-color cards so nobody will play them
-power-max them so there's a faint chance they will

edit: drafting around doran sounds fun as fuck. you could reveillark it back or imperial recruiter for it. i love doran. also if you have murmuring bosk you can play with that sweet-ass magic card

CML

Contributor
wtf flagstones not close. next question

one time i t8ed a tournament because my friend played eiganjo castle instead of, you know, the other land that taps for white and DOESNT DIE TO WASTELAND