Sets [FRF] Fate Reforged spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually drafted FRF last night! Did pretty well, turns out man o war is still fine when he costs 5 mana
12.jpg

Bro is a house. The psudo haste is sweet, bolster is just out of your control enough to be interesting, and the fact that sometimes I played Sandsteppe Outcast and Aven Surveyor in their "bad"modes is pretty sweet.

FRF has had an interesting effect on the format in that:
  • People seem to be drafting 2 color more
  • That first pack SUCKS after the first like 4 picks.
I am not joking about that second point, you'll get packs passed to you with like 9 cards in them, and they're all runemarks and abzan advantage and aven skirmisher. All technically magic cards, all of which do affect the board, but man are they below the curve for even this limited.
This is by contrast to the super sweet cards mentioned above and your likely insane first pick like supplant form or soulflayer, to say nothing of actual powerhouses like Tasigur and Mob rule
I'm currently trying "Pass the Peace Pipe"

Haven't got a chance to draft with it yet, but this effect has never been this cheap nor gained life at all

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I've only done one Fates/Khans/Khans draft, but I concur that the first pack is really bomby in the rare slot, and mostly filler afterwards. It seems to reward opening well more than triple Khans, so I'm not sure I'm a big fan.

Also, that guy is totally not Man-o'-War. He's a Mist Raven! C'mon people, get with the times.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah, I've only done one Fates/Khans/Khans draft, but I concur that the first pack is really bomby in the rare slot, and mostly filler afterwards. It seems to reward opening well more than triple Khans, so I'm not sure I'm a big fan.

Also, that guy is totally not Man-o'-War. He's a Mist Raven! C'mon people, get with the times.

Oh yeah that card from that draft format everyone hated and nobody ever played because it was horrible and lopsided. *eyeroll*

It's kinda weird that fate makes the format both better and worse, in my eyes.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
To be fair, I didn't know that card existed either until the limited guru in my playgroup insisted I throw it into my cube, as it's one of his all-time favourite draft commons. I figured it was more interesting than my second Riftwing Cloudskate anyways, so I made the swap.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I dunno, I kinda like cloudskate better. Permanent instead of creature, suspend gives this weird psudohaste (also wildfire), interesting sequencing, etc

I do think mist raven wins on the art though

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Man. Imagine that in a few months you'll be getting the bomby rare pack as the third pack! You'll finish every draft with picking up the dregs of the packs! Great job Wizards :p

Scale guard is the nuts. We're doing a 4 week long draft league thing where we drafted a deck, now add a pack every week. I have scale guard along with the flying, first strike, and lifelink outlast Lords, plus 2 sandsteppe outcast, the 1 mana rare white outlast guy, and a surveyor.