GBS

live-tweeting the modo cube:

Okay 2 things:

1st Thing): I really wanna watch CML stream Modo Cube.

2nd Thing): I was imagining a thing tagged as #RIPTIDELAB or something similar to encourage live tweeting and give us all a laugh. It could chill out on the side bar of our boards like a chat box. I went to this sex-posititve (etc) mixer once where they had that technology displayed up on a projector so they people could post about the party and people could say things about the costumes they saw by mentioning them by the number we were all assigned (pins) to encouraged cruising. Yeah it was a weird fucking party.

CML

Contributor
tideover (that's his guard duty)

his_guard_duty.jpg

edit: for this modo cube thing, what did you guys have in mind, like how un-sober should i be, what kind of un-sober, more friends over etc.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Tried to do a draft on the Beta Client just now. MODO crashed in the middle of pack 1, leaving me with a bad deck with two packs worth of bad cards in a bad Cube that couldn't win a match if its life depended on it. I feel sorry for the poor customer service lackey who has to deal with all of these compensation requests.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the slow movement at the moment. Eric and Kranny are both in the middle of buying houses. More to come when things settle down.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
February 26th: Jason recommends doubling down on cube fetchlands in "Learning from Legacy, Part 1". Prices explode.
q9vh0Rt.png

Eh? Eh? No. But I am in the market for Scalding Tarn #3 and #4.

CML

Contributor
MOVER N SHAKER. Soul Sisters used to cost like 80 bucks. I remember when there weren't so many people who played this game

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
MOVER N SHAKER. Soul Sisters used to cost like 80 bucks. I remember when there weren't so many people who played this game

Yeah, I remember when I first started thinking that fetchlands were expensive at $10 a pop. Somehow there's more demand for them post-Standard than in Standard, but I suppose that has to do with the growth of the game as a whole.

CML

Contributor
Ditto, I felt ripped off cracking for tarns at $16 apiece about a year and a half ago. the modern PTQs didnt seem THAT much bigger this time around, but i do think prices are more sensitive to card availability than is intuitive.

or maybe the game grew stratospherically, did you see the turnout for the standard and legacy opens this week? 950 and 500? in december we set a standard open record with 550 people...

I'm in Chicago.
Question 1: What are some American chains worth checking out?
Question 2: Denny's varriant is best (cookie cutter diners)?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
You know, if I were in the US I would really like to eat at a Chipotle's ("upsacle" fast food burritos). For Diners... uh... find something local? All the American diner chains are pretty terrible.

CML

Contributor
in chicago i recommend eating hella sandwiches and pizza. i am in new york and both these fixtures are definitely far worse

CML

Contributor
how do people feel about these bad boys (first one courtesy chas andres finance article)

91.jpg
24.jpg
5.jpg
115.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I bought an Etherium-Horn for the Eldrazi Domain cube and it was pretty uh... well it's a dumb card. Look at it.

Renounce the Guilds is in that cube and pretty cool, as well as being great anti-Geist/Bogle tech.

Shadowborn Demon's art really confuses me. Like... that head and the body don't go together at all.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Renounce seems far too narrow.

Old Man is fine I guess. It's not a card I'm aching to put in my Cube.

Shadowborn Demon seems good but I can't imagine picking it over a Shriekmaw. idk how reliably you can meet the 6 creature requirement even if you have a creature-heavy black section.

Sorcerer seems cool. It's obviously 'weaker' than your average Frost Titan, but it doesn't really matter what your control finisher is and Sorcerer is a lot more fun.

CML

Contributor
hehe, my playgroup wasnt too enthusiastic about renounce even though I boast the highest proportion of gold cards in, well, any cube ever.

the demon's inability to meet the threshold isn't really a deal-breaker for me, my more standard-minded friends have been huge proponents.

jason: much worse demon art:

187.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Standard Jund has to be my least favorite constructed archetype in a long time. Just a bunch of big dumb dudes with very little finesse.

Are you being sarcastic about being glad cube isn't there or am I missing something? (sorry if I'm out of the loop)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Are you being sarcastic about being glad cube isn't there or am I missing something? (sorry if I'm out of the loop)

No, no sarcasm at all. Last year I found the cubing section pretty unwatchable, but the Modern constructed portion to be immensely entertaining.