GBS

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Was fun, but I bombed out of the daily. Finished out with a bye and a disconnect to recover a 2 - 2 record, lol.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a hypothesis that a certain archetype could 3 - 0 my cube. Got to test that theory tonight. 3 - 0. Write-up coming tomorrow.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The actor who portrayed Nico looks so different, and is SUCH A DBAG on Orange is the New Black it MAKES ME ANGRY!

Is that show worth watching? I was so let down by, say, the last 5 seasons of Weeds that I have been hesitant to jump into another Jenji show.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I was testing Modern with Hannes and couldn't for the life of me find my fourth Steppe Lynx. We scoured the cube, the basic land box, the Eldrazi cube, and so on. Why would a Steppe Lynx be missing? Did somebody steal it? If they took the Steppe Lynx had they taken other cards? Did someone accidentally drop it on the floor? It was really bugging me for hours. Finally I had Hannes do a full card count of the cube. Everything was in order. 360 cards.

Oh. I only run 3 Steppe Lynx. Right. I don't own a 4th one.

So then we go to cube in the evening, and while shuffling I see that two utility lands were mixed into the cube still. So I take them out. Then we make packs and we are three cards short. Ugh.

Well, one is expected. I loaned my Thundermaw to somebody for Standard and haven't gotten it back yet. The next missing card was a Wheel of Fortune that a first-time dropped on the ground while suffling. And finally we were missing a Green Sun's Zenith, which I had forgotten to properly mark, so it was still in the Eldrazi cube.

In the end everything is in order it seems.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I haven't watched all of Archer, but I'd estimate its about 70% hilarious, 20% decent and 10% why the hell am I watching this. You've got pretty good odds whenever you watch that show of having a good time.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Redemption, I just got an M14 pack for 2 tickets:
IfgJwp9.png

Halfway to infinite.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently with pack prices you need about a ~65 percent win rate to break even. This is much worse than poker where you could break even at around 52% win rates (for 50/50 sit-n-gos).

Rob Dennis

Developer
Is that show worth watching? I was so let down by, say, the last 5 seasons of Weeds that I have been hesitant to jump into another Jenji show.

a bit late, but I never saw weeds and all I can say is that Orange has exceeded our relatively low threshold of "will block out an hour to watch this on netflix once a night after the kid is asleep"

That's not nothing, but it's not a show I'd watch on a network schedule

Rob Dennis

Developer
I love this show and am trying to convince my girlfriend to watch it. She countered with "I'll watch it with you, if you watch True Blood with me"

Worth it???

I bought the entire box set for the explicit purpose of loaning out to people, so I certainly think it's a great show. I'm generally pro watching things with loved ones that you wouldn't have watched otherwise anyway

CML

Contributor
Bot: I use CardBoosterBot0 (I think?) -- don't sell singles to anyone but MTGOTradersBuyBot(1,2), the others will rip you off "rudely" (I always thought this was a funny term to apply to bots)

Apparently with pack prices you need about a ~65 percent win rate to break even. This is much worse than poker where you could break even at around 52% win rates (for 50/50 sit-n-gos).

Yep. 52.38% for typical sports betting etc.

Interesting article topic (I'm gonna remind myself to do it): a friend once told me that 'MTG is too variant to sustain a professional class.' My first thought was this is true; my second was that I'd read somewhere that if you get it in as a 60% favorite Y times over the course of normal poker tournament X, then you'll have an ROI of ~1000%. Since MTG tourneys are more 'discrete' than poker tourneys and (I imagine) win-rates for the best are around there, I think her statement is wrong, and wrong in a way that reflects the dark side of MTG culture, viz. 'It's a subjective game so I can make this up and hope it's true and WotC will probably be OK with that.'

In other words, nobody could ever win long-term at poker if the vig were what it was in Magic.

CML

Contributor
I think it's time for my cube to have double Knight of the Reliquary, the sweetest MTG card ever.

Name some other creatures that are especially good in multiples + as an engine

Gravecrawler
Squadron Hawk (kinda)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Bot: I use CardBoosterBot0 (I think?) -- don't sell singles to anyone but MTGOTradersBuyBot(1,2), the others will rip you off "rudely" (I always thought this was a funny term to apply to bots)

Yep. 52.38% for typical sports betting etc.

Interesting article topic (I'm gonna remind myself to do it): a friend once told me that 'MTG is too variant to sustain a professional class.' My first thought was this is true; my second was that I'd read somewhere that if you get it in as a 60% favorite Y times over the course of normal poker tournament X, then you'll have an ROI of ~1000%. Since MTG tourneys are more 'discrete' than poker tourneys and (I imagine) win-rates for the best are around there, I think her statement is wrong, and wrong in a way that reflects the dark side of MTG culture, viz. 'It's a subjective game so I can make this up and hope it's true and WotC will probably be OK with that.'

In other words, nobody could ever win long-term at poker if the vig were what it was in Magic.

The only real requisite for sustaining a professional class is an organization that can monetize and fund a professional class.