Hearthstone

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Dorian seems like a huge trap actually :p
Not only do you need to untap with it, but you also need the top card to also be a Creature, and he's still probably not great even then.
How many draw steps pay for this guy?

Dusk at loses a ton of value by not being next to life tap, and the rest are just kinda... There... Holy water looks alright but clone-tounge kavu is hardly something I feel my cube needs, and oooo doll is pretty pedestrian by magic standards.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Dorian seems like a huge trap actually :p
Not only do you need to untap with it, but you also need the top card to also be a Creature, and he's still probably not great even then.
How many draw steps pay for this guy?
Definitely a build around me type of card. Gets better if you have library manipulation (Brainstorm, Sensei's Divining Top). To answer your question though, one ;)

Edit: I did probably make it a bit too fragile, cutting 3 health was probably a bit too drastic.

Dusk at loses a ton of value by not being next to life tap
It's harder to trigger for sure, but a 2/1 flyer for 2B is a lot more playable in Magic than a 2/1 vanilla for 3 in Hearhtstone is. Pair it with painlands, Phyrexian Arena and some custom lifeloss cards, and there's certainly some sweet synergy potential.

, and the rest are just kinda... There... Holy water looks alright but clone-tounge kavu is hardly something I feel my cube needs, and oooo doll is pretty pedestrian by magic standards.
Yeah, Doll is colorless, untargeted removal for 3, which isn't pedestrian by any means, but it's not something
I would want to run myself either. Some version of Darius looks sweet though. It fits Gruul to a tee, and I'm pretty sure people who are into the midrange beats strategy the color offers would like the card.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Darius seems a bit pushed with its Hearthstone stats, honestly. I shaved off 3 health on most of the other minions, because health works differently in Magic (and all of those cards would be silly with +3 toughness), but a 4/1 Darius would be pretty pointless.

That Darius would be so busted. Damage falls off at end of turn, so it's repeatable removal that leaves you with a giant threat. What I'm trying to say is he should give enemy creatures Wither.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just saying that either way I don't think he's that interesting :p

Or is he???

2yrTTSX.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Step 1. Open a golden Darius Crowley.
Step 2. Dust it and craft Baku.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit!

Also...

I'm just saying that either way I don't think he's that interesting :p
Fair enough, nott every card is for everyone. I actually like Darius, and despite Jason's misgivings, I think he could see play as is. Maybe I'ld initially want to test him at 3/3 just to be safe though?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you want to have fun in this week's brawl, try Druid, using Naturalize and Ferocious Howl. Not good against other spell based decks obviously, but against anything trying to kill you with minions it's hilarious :')

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I just won a game with Even Warlock against Spell Hunter at 2 life because I decided to use Drain Soul on my own Twilight Drake. Correctly played around their secrets as well. What a super satisfying game!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Trying out new stuff in my updated even warlock list to hilarious results. Just transformed an opponent's Amara with a Demonic Project. Turns out deathrattle priest isn't fantastic without the big taunt and massive life buff :')

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You know those game where you discover a non-obvious winning line *just* in time? Opponent had a Carnivorous Cube with Zilliax under it (sp? It's the 3/2 lifesteal, rush, divine shield, taunt), ready to slam into my big demons next turn to completely stabilize, plus a Necrium Blade that will trigger next turn. I take a long hard look at the board. I've got plenty of removal, but not enough mana to kill both Zilliaxes as the cheaper removal is damage based. I figure after some thinking that I can't possibly trade well here, so attack for 10 to the face. See he's at 6, I only have my deathknight hero power left for damage, so I'm 3 short. Tanking hard until the rope shows. Suddenly I see the line. Go face with the hero power for 3, Sacrificial Pact one of my demons (go up 5 life), Siphon Soul the other (up another 3 life, well into a safe life total to not die to any counter attack (I Geisted his Cold Bloods), pass the turn with only a second to spare.

They attack with everything (triggering the deathrattle that summons a 7/7 instead of the Ooze), survey the board for a few seconds, reequip a dagger, look some more but have no further way to trigger the Ooze, nor any way to then attack into something to gain the required life. They pass the turn with no further plays. I finish them off with my hero power, start grinning from ear to ear, and startle my wife when I drop my iPad and do a double fist pump.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Bringing this conversation to the surface. I came back after a year hiatus and am ready to review the cards I've crafted this month.

1701361289675.png1701361305197.png
5/5
I know this card is kind of bullshit, but it lets me play Reno Mage in wild and not be at a disadvantage in the meta. The deck is super fun to pilot, and more challenging than I had expected. I feel like every game I play with this deck has a slightly different texture to it.

1701361409821.png
2/5
I love the idea of Rainbow Mage as an archetype, but this particular card is super unsatisfying to me, whether playing with or against it. I realize it's like, somehow, almost the same card as Time Warp in it's effect, but to me it's 100% less fun.

1701361501830.png
2.4/5
I don't know, I think maybe Priest just sucks at the moment. In part because...

1701361733997.png
2.6/5
This card has turned out to be pretty underwhelming. It's a bunch of stats in one card, but most decks aren't really troubled by clearing out 4/4s it turns out. Making a copy of a Titan (or two) is great in theory, but in practice I've really not felt it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've actually been having fun with Reno Priest, but without the Elise. Just control your way to a slow crawl of a win :) Paladin is probably still the best class though, and the various Paladin decks are fun to play too.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Probably this is a known combo, but since I missed a year of Hearthstone, I just pulled off Thaddius + Vision of Darkness for the first time. It creates an APM situation where as long as you keep discovering odd-cost cards, you can discover and cast as many as you have time for in a turn.

It also works with Elise!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been struggling to eek out a 48 percent winrate with my Reno Priest list. Switched to a Naga Priest deck I found on Twitter and went 7-0. Maybe my own deck is garbage...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Made Wild Legend for the month with XL Reno Quest Mage (again). Meta seems fairly diverse:

decemb.png

People love to complain about bots in wild, but I would guess that less than 10% of my matches were against bots.

I tried some various legendaries in the deck, let's evaluate them:

1702648375501.png
Solid 1.3 / 5. I don't think this card ever won me a game that I wasn't going to win anyways. It is kind of fun to cheat mana, but mostly when I drew it I wished it were basically anything else.

1702648468196.png
Middling 2.1 / 5. This generates for you somewhere between 0 and infinite spells for you, with an average around 0.9 maybe? The nerf definitely helped, but there are far too many minions in the pool to really recommend this for Quest Mage.

1702648572467.png
3.8 / 5. Vex won me games I had no business being in. Double Conjure Mana Biscuit into Double Time Warp into Double Rewind, finding more Time Warps... It's not the deck's best card (but sometimes it is).

1702648687927.png
2.6 / 5. I think it's actually pretty reasonable to cut objection these days. The fear of it (in my games) has outweighed its actual utility. Flame Ward has been far-more game winning, and I running a card-generator in Objection's place is pretty reasonable.

Deck code for anyone curious (this is what I laddered with for most the games, but would change 3-4 cards if trying to optimize):
Code:
### XL Quest Mage
# Class: Mage
# Format: Wild
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 1x (1) Devolving Missiles
# 1x (1) Evocation
# 1x (1) First Flame
# 1x (1) Open the Waygate
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (2) Ancient Mysteries
# 1x (2) Conjure Mana Biscuit
# 1x (2) Cryopreservation
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Flint Firearm
# 1x (2) Heat Wave
# 1x (2) Infinitize the Maxitude
# 1x (2) Licensed Adventurer
# 1x (2) Mad Scientist
# 1x (2) Prismatic Elemental
# 1x (2) Rewind
# 1x (2) Vast Wisdom
# 1x (2) Watcher of the Sun
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Crushclaw Enforcer
# 1x (3) Flame Ward
# 1x (3) Frost Nova
# 1x (3) Ice Block
# 1x (3) Objection!
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Solid Alibi
# 1x (4) Commander Sivara
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
#   1x (0) Freezing Potion
#   1x (3) Ice Block
#   1x (4) Potion of Illusion
# 1x (4) Fire Sale
# 1x (4) Potion of Illusion
# 1x (4) Varden Dawngrasp
# 1x (4) Volume Up
# 1x (5) Queen Azshara
# 1x (5) Vexallus
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Reno the Relicologist
# 1x (7) Magister Dawngrasp
# 1x (8) Reno, Lone Ranger
# 1x (9) Grand Magister Rommath
#
AAEBAf0EKMABywT3DcMWhRfQwQL8owOSpAO/pAP0qwO4tgPFuAPgzAPl0QOF5AOd7gOu9wOgigTlsASEsgTbuQSp3gTK3gS87QSX7wSjkAWmkwWQlgWqmAXgwwX9xAWt7QXQ+AXR+AWVhwbWmAbkmAaxngbRngavqAYAAAEDwAH9xAWEuwL9xAXl0QP9xAUAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I got 1st place in 5 Battlegrounds games in a row and you two readers are the only people in my life who might care. I won't even eat a Siege Rhino.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I quit Hearthstone over the holidays, to make room for playing other games (and judging a contest *cough*), but well done! :)