Sets Hour of Devastation Thread

Im pretty excited about that too, there have been some seriously great cube cards from un-sets. City of Ass, Blast from the Past, Symbol Status, Death Parrot, Topsy Turvy, others too Im definitely missing.

Symbol Status has a pretty big downside though

What, the games end sooner than later?

But seriously, if you only run one type of basic then yeah it sucks; however, I try to have as many symbols in my basic land section as possible especially in green, and there it's an *incredible* card.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ah shit. That's fucking awesome. Fuck yeah. Fuck. Aw shit fuck yeah.
That was pretty much my reaction. I started playing with Invasion, pretty much right before the grand finale of Urza's storyline :) In the (cringeworthy) video, they're hinting Dominaria has had time to recover, lush forests and all.

I much prefer my lands looking nice :p

To each one's own, nice is subjective as I like a variety of lands moreso than uniform, plus it's hard to just choose 1-5 arts so I like giving my players as many options as possible. But I mean, the only thing stopping Symbol Status from being good is that, so if that's a hurdle then so be it but the card is great in cubes that support it.

FWIW I also include a number of the same land too for when it doesn't matter, but both the appeal of symbol status and the wide range of awesome arts is more appealing to me. It's almost like my basic box is a magic art history lesson, as there tends to be styles and choices from all of the 20+ years of magic's existence. It's cool!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Your preference is antithetical to mine :eek: Nice, uniform basic land art, everything black bordered, that's what I like!

Ditto. I love the unhinged lands.

mm31_unhingedLands.jpg
Also of some note is that the planeswalker deck Nicol Bolas was spoiled.

Nicol Bolas, the Deciever
5UBR
+3: Each opponent loses 3 life unless they sacrifices a nonland permanant or discard a card.
-3: Destroy a creature. Draw a card.
-11: Nicol Bolas, the Deciever deals 7 damage to each opponent. You draw seven cards.

I am trying to concieve who could concievably be interested in this card and failing. It seems like this Bolas is being targetted for multiplayer, but killing it or the player seems a little too easy for eight mana. I may be erroniously implying that this card entering the battle field is a notable problem in a multiplayer game of any sort.

I mean, it's a planeswalker for a planeswalker deck...they're seemingly not designed to be either exciting or good in competitive/casual competitive play.

I probably misphrased my underlying question regarding Nicol Bolas, the Deciever's existance. While I do recognize that the planeswalker decks are designed specifically for newer players, it seems like Wizards is missing out on the possibility to make additional sales by having the cards be interesting in any format. Furthermore, I believe that most players would quickly learn that eight drops, and other cards with similiar casting cost, have to essentially win the game on the spot or push you very far ahead to be worth the potential dead draw they often represent. The fact that it reads like a watered down version of Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker does not help.

To clearify my question in all of this: Why would Wizards design a card used as the face of one of their products that does not seem to hit any of their psychographics?(Too weak for Spike, not weird enough for Johnny, and not splashy enough for Timmy).

I probably misphrased my underlying question regarding Nicol Bolas, the Deciever's existance. While I do recognize that the planeswalker decks are designed specifically for newer players, it seems like Wizards is missing out on the possibility to make additional sales by having the cards be interesting in any format. Furthermore, I believe that most players would quickly learn that eight drops, and other cards with similiar casting cost, have to essentially win the game on the spot or push you very far ahead to be worth the potential dead draw they often represent. The fact that it reads like a watered down version of Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker does not help.

To clearify my question in all of this: Why would Wizards design a card used as the face of one of their products that does not seem to hit any of their psychographics?(Too weak for Spike, not weird enough for Johnny, and not splashy enough for Timmy).

I think WotC realized that in order to get more players into the game, they need simple starter products that are tuned for peoples' first game of Magic. They've tried about every possible way to make an intro product that appeals to existing players and it doesn't work. New players need to be the only target in order to get the product in their hands.

When a player is first getting into the game, they aren't a Spike, Johnny/Jenny, or Timmy/Tammy yet. They can't evaluate cards based on power, synergies or gameplay yet so you can't really design cards for them based on the main psychographics. The new player is pretty much a distinct psychographic. They need cards that are simple enough to be immediately understandable and fun to play during their first games of Magic. They also need low enough power level cards to play games with game back-and-forth, interaction and just enough decision points. These aren't things that the main psychographics want so the cards that appeal to the new payer won't appeal to the groups we're used to thinking about.

That Crucible on legs is so spicy. I can't wait to see what shenanigans my drafters come up with. Some nasty synergies to be exploited with Wastelands, Titania and my boy Gitrog.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, I think the new Nicol Bolas is pretty powerful. I guess it's not Karn, but those are some fairly strong + abilities.

CML

Contributor
Looks great so far, though "affect" is a stupid name and I wonder about a mechanic that wants people to block less in competitive constructed ...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think it's afflict.
Also why would that card ever be seen in competitive constructed? it's a punisher card where one of the options is a 5/4 for 4....
Even downsideless that would be a constructed stretch

CML

Contributor
o great another dope in limited poop in constructed

'afflict' eh doesn't make much sense

lmao captain lannery storm