General How do YOU plan to use the various Conspiracy cards?

In an eight man, it's perfectly fine. I've run two drafts with it in the Cube and there was a Worldknit deck the second time around. I'm assuming that it didn't show up till later in the first draft. It's really a card that needs to be taken pack 1 to maximize it as it ends up being worse the later into the draft you get. I could see it being really OP in a small draft after being picked first or second overall since some people might not get the key cards for their given archetype while you're just picking up anything you want.

I personally love it. It's a single card that defines its own archetype and no other deck (unless someone gets all the fixing) can emulate it. I think being able to play anything being offset by having a deck that's usually twice as large as anyone else (the Worldknit deck ran about 60ish) in a 40 card format is just fine. Less consistency in place of more power. Playing against a streamlined deck makes it a pretty even match. As long as the rest of the table is able to draft whatever they're aiming for effectively, which is tougher in smaller group settings, then Worldknit is perfectly fine.

The biggest issue when playing against Worldknit is that you literally have no idea what you'll see from game-to-game. You might see 1/3 of the deck that you won't even glimpse in any other games for your match. I drafted a pretty sweet BW Tokens list the other night along with things like Cataclysm and Armageddon to get ahead after sticking something like a Hero of Bladehold. We went 3 games with the best play with Worldknit player using Zealous Conscripts (which he looted for with Deal Broker) to steal my Sorin, Lord of Innistrad at 6 Loyalty to wreck my board and win on the very next turn. I wasn't even mad.

The only two things I worry about are Planeswalker density and having a lack of basic Mountains or Forests sleeved up. If you have 16+ in your Cube, Wordknit guy will probably just build superfriends b/c why not, there's no reason not to. And if they have Koth or new Nissa, they'll just make all their basics either Mountains or Forests and there might not be enough for everyone else. So yeah, I love Worldknit and I'm keeping it in the Cube for as long as I can.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Good point. I should note that Worldknit was drafted p1p2 in this case, which let the drafter plan his strategy around it.

Having it picked that early throws off the signals, too. We couldn't count on gold cards in our colours coming back, and it was a mystery as to who was sniping them - until we found out later, of course.

I think it destroyed my draft. The person who took it just took what they thought was the best card out of every pack with little thought to CMC, so his deck was pretty awful, but he hurt a lot of other peoples' decks while he was at it. (New player draft)

Later I got a chuckle out of him Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOOOing when he cracked a fetch (wait, it gets better!) and had no basic types for it... we're all friends so I just corrected him:
"Hey man, read worldknit"
*reads*
"... ok? I still don't have an island or mountain"
"No, man. Read. Worldknit."
"I... don't under-"
"SCALDING TARN IS A LAND."

Just funny that he realized drafting nonbasics essentially "shrinks" the worldknit deck, but didn't realize how that worked. Also he had 16 nonbasics because he was weighting them extremely heavily.

EDIT:
How have people been liking the conspiracy cards in general? The only thing I've kept is cogwork librarian because it just flows and doesn't interrupt much at all. Watched multiple players change what their High City tapped for because no one really pays attention during the draft, and most of the conspiracies themselves are just OP.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think it destroyed my draft. The person who took it just took what they thought was the best card out of every pack with little thought to CMC, so his deck was pretty awful, but he hurt a lot of other peoples' decks while he was at it. (New player draft)

Later I got a chuckle out of him Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOOOing when he cracked a fetch (wait, it gets better!) and had no basic types for it... we're all friends so I just corrected him:
"Hey man, read worldknit"
*reads*
"... ok? I still don't have an island or mountain"
"No, man. Read. Worldknit."
"I... don't under-"
"SCALDING TARN IS A LAND."

Just funny that he realized drafting nonbasics essentially "shrinks" the worldknit deck, but didn't realize how that worked. Also he had 16 nonbasics because he was weighting them extremely heavily.

EDIT:
How have people been liking the conspiracy cards in general? The only thing I've kept is cogwork librarian because it just flows and doesn't interrupt much at all. Watched multiple players change what their High City tapped for because no one really pays attention during the draft, and most of the conspiracies themselves are just OP.

I think the first thing people said about that card other than"Ooooooooooooooooooooo" was "Man wasteland becomes a sweet pick with this thing."

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's an interesting card for sure, but for some reason none of the conspiracy cards truly piqued my interest enough to hunt them down and sleeve them up. Maybe this is really wrong. I feel kind of crotchety about it. My cube is out of date and I should get James Stevenson to move in with me so I can polish it up.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm with Goldenpineapple - after my next cube update, the only cards I'll have left from Conspiracy are 2x Cogwork Librarian. It's a card with a great draft-affecting dynamic, and isn't as crazy or silly as most of the other robots in the set.

It's a little disappointing that nothing else worked out for cube, but I suppose that's because the conspiracies were targeted at big ol' free-for-all multiplayer games, where politicking make Power Play and Backup Plan a little less busted.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You are not giving the set enough credit guys!

And, like, a good number of totally sweet reprints with awesome art and/or the new border!

The Conspiracy cards I'm using in my cube include:

The duplicate has led to some pretty sweet plays such as in our last draft when a guy sandbagged till he hit 8 mana then proceeded to copy an opposing Hero of Bladehold and follow it up with a Flametongue Kavu to take it out. That was straight nasty.

I haven't seen Dack do anything busted like stealing a Batterskull or anything, but he's a really good looter and that's perfectly fine with me. It's probably because I don't just a whole lot of sweet artifacts for him to nab like most cubes would.

Librarians are just fun and Deal Broker is a pretty sweet after draft event and is even playable! I lost to the Worldknit guy who was looting through his deck with the Broker to get to what he needed. Paliano is also pretty fun during the draft portion.

My drafters are more EDH-oriented players who loved Conspiracy and actually want me to run MORE of them, but I can't bring myself to put in any of the other ones. They're either too crappy or way too good. I've found Backup Plan to be interesting, Unexpected Potential is pretty much a one-time splash for anything (has to be the same card through every game), and I love Worldknit. We had two new guys to the club the other day who had not played any Conspiracy and were really digging all the draft wackiness from Conspiracy cards. I think they're here to stay for a while.

Ah, most Conspiracy games I played were just one-and-dones so no one ever got to re-use it. I'll see if changing between matches becomes OP or not. Usually whoever drafts Unexpected Potential just drafts a single card to splash anything for, not multiples. I dunno, it's pretty fringe atm and I don't even know if I want to keep it in.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Ah, most Conspiracy games I played were just one-and-dones so no one ever got to re-use it. I'll see if changing between matches becomes OP or not. Usually whoever drafts Unexpected Potential just drafts a single card to splash anything for, not multiples. I dunno, it's pretty fringe atm and I don't even know if I want to keep it in.

Yeah I only ever saw it name cruel ultimatium. Not even gravecrawler :p

Conspiracy cards I expect to keep running:

Conspiracy cards I expect to cut but keep in rotation, or cards I haven't added yet but will add to the rotation:

How's Dack Fayden been? I run almost no artifacts in my cube but R/U is a very popular and powerful archetype. Is the looting alone good enough? Seems sweet at setting up the new delve cards.

Does anyone else use Secrets of Paradise? I wanted a second hidden agenda card (to go with Unexpected Potential) to keep people guessing, and this one seemed the least broken. I like that it adds incentive to play cheap creatures you normally wouldn't, plus it fixes your mana. So far, people don't value it too highly though.

Does anyone else use Secrets of Paradise? I wanted a second hidden agenda card (to go with Unexpected Potential) to keep people guessing, and this one seemed the least broken. I like that it adds incentive to play cheap creatures you normally wouldn't, plus it fixes your mana. So far, people don't value it too highly though.

I think the challenges is that, baring a few creatures, most people don't break singleton too aggressively in cube. At fewer than 4 of the single cheap creature in my deck, Secrets of Paradise isn't worth the pick.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think the challenges is that, baring a few creatures, most people don't break singleton too aggressively in cube. At fewer than 4 of the single cheap creature in my deck, Secrets of Paradise isn't worth the pick.
That's of course nonsense, Birds of Paradise is perfectly playable even if it's the only mana dork in your deck, and a Birds of Paradise with actual upside (Grim Lavabird?) certainly is! The real question is, do you want other colors than green have access to a single (or two as may be the exceptional case) mana dork?

CML

Contributor
All the Conspiracy draft-altering artifacts should find a home in one Cube or the other. They enhance the drafting experience and do not fuck up the games, unless the adjacent guy looks at AEther Searcher, says TLDR, and passes an Ashen Rider or something. It doesn't matter that most of them are unplayable and the ones that are playable (Deal Broker in graveyard themes, or Lurking Automaton!) are pretty delightful. I've been inspired by Dia's post to give the Automaton a try, actually, since I am a Wolfir Silverheart fan

It is the same lack of opportunity cost that makes all the Conspiracies terrible inclusions. Worldknit is an exception but otherwise just drawing a card when you find something is incredibly powerful and Conspiracies should never be passed. This means decks will be fit to Conspiracies and not vice versa, which is exactly the kind of GRBS / forced draft of Wurmcoil I want to avoid.