General How often does your cube get drafted?

Laz

Developer
I generally get a full draft about 1/month. We cube nearly weekly, but usually only with 5-6 people. I hate having to leave so many cards in the cube box...

I should finish pulling together the cards for my cube and/or proxying them up, so I can find some people who don't suck to play with, so I can iterate, so I can feel comfortable making a thread here with some actual data behind it and not 'this seems good'.

Anywhere between 0 and 8 times. My store has a lot of PTQ hopefuls who go to everything they can, so sometimes there's only crickets. I have friends that are always willing to 4-man on weekends but that's awkward and 2 of them have never not jammed blue as hard as they can.

I also recently learned another cube had moved across the street instead of just leaving the area, so I lose some players to that when they feel like playing cards like once more with feeling, sol ring etc (and winning or losing games based on whether or not anymore remembers what cards do, his cube is vastly foreign). It's actually a little discouraging when I make exciting changes and have no one to play with for 2-3 weeks.

That's what I get for retyping the whole thing. Per week. Sometimes people will just go absolutely ham and want to cube 6 times in one day, if everyone is there early enough. It's a little absurd.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
once or twice a month.

It doesn't help I have an 8am class the day after my LGS's casual night, and assignments usually due the day after that :(

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
once or twice a month.

It doesn't help I have an 8am class the day after my LGS's casual night, and assignments usually due the day after that :(

Hmm... this is making me want to make a "how old are you" thread. I have no idea how old anybody is. Except Hannes.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hmm... this is making me want to make a "how old are you" thread. I have no idea how old anybody is. Except Hannes.

Older than I should be to be complaining about class start times :p
Though I am in university, which you can conclude by the variable class times, as opposed to the regular 9-3 high school times

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I get draft probably once every two months on average. I could arrange more. In fact things are looking more likely for drafting these days, a group of friends I play magic with has become more keen on my cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I get for retyping the whole thing. Per week. Sometimes people will just go absolutely ham and want to cube 6 times in one day, if everyone is there early enough. It's a little absurd.

I mean, I love me some cube, but I doubt I would ever be in the mood for more than 6 hours of Magic.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Once every two weeks, mostly thanks to Lucas and his group's amazing consistency in braving the cold weather to trek for sometimes two hours uptown, just to play cards.

Hoping to bump that up to once a week in the near future, if I can wean my office Magic club off the beginner-level stuff and onto the full cube experience soon.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I play about once a month generally, with a end of the year binge where I play a lot all at once. I also occasionally squeeze in extra sessions erratically, sometimes as often as twice a week, sometimes months go by without one.

CML

Contributor
0-2/wk (I'm 25)

also of interest: "when do you cube," my preference is for weekends but with football season and a recent glut of tournaments i've been pushed out to wednesday and thursday nights at 630. i for one like it when cube unfolds leisurely over the course of an afternoon, everyone plays each other and everyone drinks huge amounts of German beer and then maybe it's time for a redraft and a bowl and then the entire day is shot and it's like we're 16 again but much, much sadder cooler

further discussion questions: "whom do you cube with" and "do you like them?"

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Follow-up question: 'how many of those people would never be invited to Cube if finding 6+ people weren't already hard enough as it is?'

Answer to OP question: never :(

0-2 times per week

been a lot of factors in the way recently, being sick and whatnot. the other thing is there's more than one local cube so its not always my cubes that get drafted

I'm 23, play with friends and shop regulars. Sometimes some guy from before I started going there (4 years?) will show up, and everyone will just invite him without saying anything to me, but no one has been rude when I introduce myself so I always let them play. They're usually pleasant, thank me for letting them play etc. but I've had a few sour grapes and general jerks that I inform won't be welcome back.

We actually have too many people (9+) fairly often, and the general skill level around here is relatively high, judging from you guys' posts around the forums. Multiple pro tour participants, constant modo grinders, so on. My cube is not high-power but they understand and even appreciate that; the cube they had for a few years before mine is just under 800 cards and has a lot of wonky cards to force loam, and a lot of generally degen cards (top, recurring nightmare, show and tell, etc) that I guess people do get bored of drafting eventually.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
99% sure I'm the oldest man on this forum (and also 99% sure I act like the youngest)

@cbob: I'll be 30 in a few months.

@the OP: My answer is usually "whenever I have enough time". Ideally that would be once ever week or two, but I'm getting married in a month, so lately I haven't had as much time as I would like.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I've had the unfortunate experience of going into a gamestore to play magic and get paired against someone who was not born when I started playing Magic. And this was a couple of years ago.

6 times a year. So not that much considering I put quite some time in creating and maintaining my cube. But changing and adjusting the cube is fun too.