Sets [IKO] Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths

Call of the death-dweller and the enforcer are both excellent. Loving another piece of playable GY hate that plays admirably without that focus too.

fiendartisan.jpg

This card is very strong. Yes, I think I will sacrifice my Gravecrawler to grab a Dark Confidant out of my deck on t3. Or perhaps I'll wait until turn 4 to grab an Ophiomancer variant for infinite fuel for this. In addition, it helps set up creature based combos for things like the Persist deck. This thing grows based on the number of creature cards in your graveyard, so it could also just serve as a 5/5 for two sometimes.

Basically, it looks like Dredge got a new toy.

neutralize.jpg

Cancel with cycling. I think there may be a place for this in my list, but I'm not sure yet. I really like my Dissolve variants, but that doesn't quite mean that this will play similarly or better. You only get to look at more cards with this if you cycle, so it is just cancel when you use it as a counter spell. The jury is out on this one.

Fiend artisan is absurd for sure.... 5/5 for 2 is playing it safe (leaving aside the insane creature search functionality). This can relatively easily be bigger than Goyf, albeit maybe a little later in the game.

acpsxkvmtmq41.jpg

Holy shit, this is the perfect BW Humans card. 3/3 on curve, pumps the board, serves as incidental graveyard hate when necessary, AND it has a weird removal mode. Pumping up Champion of the Parish by two, sacking Bloodsoaked Champion and another piece of fodder to shoot down big boys, and giving me an anthem on a body. Good thing this is a 3/3 and not a 3/4, it's already pretty absurd as is. This is the first slam dunk for me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Holy shit, this is the perfect BW Humans card. 3/3 on curve, pumps the board, serves as incidental graveyard hate when necessary, AND it has a weird removal mode. Pumping up Champion of the Parish by two, sacking Bloodsoaked Champion and another piece of fodder to shoot down big boys, and giving me an anthem on a body. Good thing this is a 3/3 and not a 3/4, it's already pretty absurd as is. This is the first slam dunk for me.

I just cut the Humans tribe from {W/B}, dammit!

Edit: Oh, I just noticed the {W/B} 2-drop only makes human legendaries indestructible. Well, that makes it slightly less useful then, though it's still well-statted, incidental graveyard hate, and I do run a number of human legendaries in those colors still. It's kinda cool with Braids :)

Alright check this out:
valiantrescuer.jpg

Valiant Rescuer is a strange mix of Shepherd of the Flock and Drake Haven. Don't let the fact that this guy can only make tokens off of true cycling triggers dissuade you- it's still a Blade of the Sixth Pride with Cycling. Although I wish this card had the cleaner "Whenever you cycle or discard a card" templating, it doesn't necessarily ruin the card for me- it's very good.

Plus, Ikoria has a much higher power level than any previous set with cycling, there's already at least 4 or 5 cubable options from this set. We might just have the perfect density to make the cycle-specific cards work after the set releases. They've already previewed 18 new cyclers and at least 4 (including this) can make it, not counting the "sideboard cards."

That card is an excellent design. Relevant creature typing, good body for cost, strong but fair ability, and in the worst case scenario you just cycle it away in the late game for something more impactful.

This card is very good and I shouldn't have to explain why.

Just like the movie.

mythosofbrokkos.jpg

Mythos of Brokkos
2GG
Sorcery
If UB was used to cast this spell, search your library for a card and put it into your graveyard, then shuffle your library.
Return up to two permanent cards from your graveyard to your hand.

Anyone here like Gifts Ungiven? Significantly different, really, but it's giving me some Gifts vibes. Brokkos, welcome to The Black Cube.

I'm a bit sad how many cards already got strictly outclassed in this spoiler season:

And while those are all spells, the creatures shout "power creep" even louder at me.

I'm a bit sad how many cards already got strictly outclassed in this spoiler season:

And while those are all spells, the creatures shout "power creep" even louder at me.

You see, I would agree with you (and I actually do agree with you about the creatures), but almost all of these cards have been outclassed by previous cards. Like, Smelt is a mana cheaper than shatter, Bident of Thassa was a strictly better Costal Piracy back in 2013, Circuitous Route is Explosive Vegetation that lets you get dual lands, the list just kind of goes on and on.

These classic cards have been outclassed for years, and were not being played in constructed because they just didn't do enough to justify a slot. Now that WOTC is pushing best of one matches on Arena, people need mainboardable removal for niche cards. Naturalize is a good rate for killing artifacts, but it's not useful in every matchup. Cycling can help reduce the risk involved in playing a narrow card in the mainboard. However, and expensive card like Break Asunder wouldn't cut it today, as it's too slow and clunky. Making a cycling naturalize is the simplest answer to a complex problem.