Sets [IKO] Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Speaking of your White Pairings...
stormwindcapridor.jpg

Looks like Pyrohemia/Wildfire got a new toy!

Pyrohemia? No, no, we're gonna go a little bigger.

No no no, TrainmasterGT is exactly right, we're definitely pairing that with Pyrohemia and Wildfire! Well, in my cube at least :)

Now that WOTC is pushing best of one matches on Arena

I agree with everything you just wrote except this (read above)

You say it like it is true. Do you have any proof?
I believed Wizards pushed for 1v1 on Arena too a few years ago. Now I am convinced they push for:
1. Sell as many paper cards as possible
2. Make sure all cards work properly on paper (See all the 10 Companions)
3. Acknowledge that Arena is MtG’s future but paper will survive for a long time.
4. Don’t give a shit about Magic Online :p It will just live until it dies, what’ yo’ gonna do?

So far there are 20 cards I am going to buy from this set!
(Including a few mutate cards that will be way less impressive than in actual Ikoria drafting)

I’m back at 8/10!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
No English pic yet, but this is a great build around!

Ominous Seas {1}{U}
Enchantment
Whenever you draw a card, put an Omen counter on Ominous Seas.
Remove 8 counters from Ominous Seas: Create an 8/8 blue Kraken creature token.
Cycling {2}

Get those Brainstorms back in your cube ;)

Well thaaat is interesting, especually if you don't have to sac it. Goes right into the Drake Haven/Improbable Alliance decks!

Okay, but seriously, even leaving aside that it's Sharknado, this is actually good, right? At its absolute floor it's a Tome Raider with flash that triggers Drake Haven, and then it turns into Metallurgic Summonings with flying. I'm 100% running this even if it weren't a meme.
You are forgetting about 50 % of the card texts. But yes I think this card is fine. It is a modal spell which are often good.

The metallurgic summonings (Metallurgic Sharkening?) mode is not how this card is going to be played 90% of the time. This is a scalable flier that draws cards. Despite kind of being the cycling guy, I'm not even that concerned with the Drake Haven synergy here- every blue deck except for dredge is going to be chomping at the bit to run this. Basically every way to cycle this is great.

Do I just want to get a Tome Raider with flash? Sure!
Do I want an Archangel with flash and a cantrip! Great! I can win the game with that!
Do I literally just want to cast an unreplicated Train of Thought? Well, I can!

And plus, all of these modes are uncountable! You just get a giant flying Shark basically no matter what you do. Sure it dies to removal, but you can play around that whenever it may be relevant. This is one of the best cards in the set, and it probably will be the best for Riptide cubes.

Ominous Seas {1}{U}
Enchantment
Cycling {2}

I'm conflicted about this card.

On one hand, it's another card cut from the Drake Haven cloth. It works quite well in cycling decks and "I like to draw cards" tribal. It has the fail state of being a cantrip and doesn't have a high inclusion opportunity cost. Technically you can make multiple krakens with this as well, since you don't have to sacrifice it after removing counters.

On the other hand, this card is a bit slow. It's a 2-mana do nothing that may never do anything in aggressive matchups. You could make a kraken by like turn 4 if you have a bunch of Brainstorms and looters in the cube, and you do get to add a counter every turn on the draw step, so maybe I'm overreacting.

This definitely seems like it was balanced more for retail limited and EDH than real constructed or cube. That said, I think it is probably going to warrant a test if not permanent inclusion. It may just be very good.

Is it possible to activate it twice in a game to create two 8/8 Krakens?

Here is a fair(er) Swords of X and Y

sanctuaryblade.jpg

I think this is both a bad card (5 mana to get it attached to a creature, same as the Swords) while I also think it will feel horrible to play against. So pass

The metallurgic summonings (Metallurgic Sharkening?) mode is not how this card is going to be played 90% of the time. This is a scalable flier that draws cards. Despite kind of being the cycling guy, I'm not even that concerned with the Drake Haven synergy here- every blue deck except for dredge is going to be chomping at the bit to run this. Basically every way to cycle this is great.

Do I just want to get a Tome Raider with flash? Sure!
Do I want an Archangel with flash and a cantrip! Great! I can win the game with that!
Do I literally just want to cast an unreplicated Train of Thought? Well, I can!

And plus, all of these modes are uncountable! You just get a giant flying Shark basically no matter what you do. Sure it dies to removal, but you can play around that whenever it may be relevant. This is one of the best cards in the set, and it probably will be the best for Riptide cube.

I never said it was bad or unfit for Riptide cubes. I love me some Decree of Justice as some of you already know. I said he missed 50 %.

The “absolute floor” is not a Tome Raider with flash that triggers Drake Haven since a token is a lot more fragile than an actual card. Blinking it will kill it instead of drawing you an extra card from ETB. Also you don’t always have Drake Haven on the battlefield. If this is the absolute floor, then we need to invent a new term called basement.

It also doesn’t turn into Metallurgic Summonings with flying since that costs 1 less mana to cast and has an ultimate game-winning ability that Sharknado does not.

All in all a card that is way better than both Tome Raider and Metallurgic Summonings and I think I will include it even though I expect it to almost never ne hard cast, which is a little sad because the enchantment is a cool sign post for spell matters/prowess decks.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Ominous Seas {1}{U}
Enchantment
Cycling {2}

FWIW: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/spoilers/Ikoria+Lair+of+Behemoths has translated versions of anything we've posted yet
Ominous%2BSeas%2B%255BIKO%255D.jpg

Barrier%2BBreach%2B%255BIKO%255D.jpg

I'm laughing so hard at "THREE target enchantments" :p

Obosh%252C%2Bthe%2BPrey-piercer%2B%255BIKO%255D.jpg

Here's our Odd-Boy. Odd sources deal double, so he's a 6/5 that makes bolt deal 3? Could be down

Skull%2BProphet%2B%255BIKO%255D.jpg

It's probably not worth the slot but I kinda love all the words on this card.
Also it's a 3/1 for some reason? :p

Well we are getting 1 Standard legal set and 1 Commander set spoiled in 1 week. Normally this would be spoiled over a period of 2 + 1 week(s).

Also this might be why I am bias to liking the cards so much. They tricked me!

8lypt36ukwq41.png

What a great card for W/x decks. 3/3 first strike is nice defense on the ground, relevant creature type, and it's a great play on the draw allowing you to clear out lands off the top of your deck. For aggressive decks it can clear out dead draws off the top of your deck while for grindier decks it's a nice blocker on the ground. Huge fan of this design.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Not to sound racist, but, back in my day, we didn't have colors mixing with each other like this. That's a green card and it'll stay the hell away from my white decks!!

I think you're wrong there. White has long had a history of keeping up with your opponent as far as land drops are concerned, from Land Tax to Weathered Wayfarer. This is just the first time it can only do so from the top of your library instead of the whole library, but that doesn't make it green all of a sudden. In fact, it's decidedly not green. The ability would only be green if you could also use it while you were ahead on lands.

I think you're wrong there. White has long had a history of keeping up with your opponent as far as land drops are concerned, from Land Tax to Weathered Wayfarer. This is just the first time it can only do so from the top of your library instead of the whole library, but that doesn't make it green all of a sudden. In fact, it's decidedly not green. The ability would only be green if you could also use it while you were ahead on lands.

I guess that's true. It DOES occasionally get those effects. I've never liked the ones with the ability to go directly to the field. Feels too green for me.