Site News Inaugural RipLab draft: February 9th (Sunday)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
blood artist is not low impact yo

To be fair Jason, your seat was definitely B/R, and I'm not sure how you could have drafted differently, unless you went about it with a more midrange slant. The late Bob pack one kind of sent you down the aggro path, though.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Ah, that explains why you were so experienced and sure-handed with the archetype in cube. Well done!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I dunno, the games I won were mostly Koth related. I had no way to smooth out my draws though.

Calvin says you both drafted and built like shit and it's no wonder you had to mull to five. Koth with six red sources total is a mite sketchy. Also, four colourless lands out of sixteen ensures you can never cast your three drops before turn seven. (He won't actually muster up the energy to come post on here to contradict any of the words I'm ascribing to him.)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
apologize for the occasional alt tabbing, shit music and shit microphone sound

Sweet, thanks for posting these! I'm enjoying the banter even more than the actual draft material. I seem to recall joining the Skype call at some point and yelling random things at random people, but maybe I was imagining it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Calvin says you both drafted and built like shit and it's no wonder you had to mull to five. Koth with six red sources total is a mite sketchy. Also, four colourless lands out of sixteen ensures you can never cast your three drops before turn seven. (He won't actually muster up the energy to come post on here to contradict any of the words I'm ascribing to him.)

Uh, well, I'm not going to say that it was optimal, but I think this is a bit severe. Aside from playing Koth, are there specific things you disagree with? The deck went 1 - 2 (4 - 4 in games), which is pretty average. I don't know, should I have curved down and Bonesplittered? Maybe not playing it was wrong. Gone to 17 land?

There was only one time I drew Koth and couldn't play it, and even then he just pitched to Liliana so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Laz

Developer
stock poster biases: Jason enjoys seeing how many red sources he needs to cast Koth consistently while still having all three abilities be bad

Last draft of mine I ultimate'd a Koth, which was awesome, until I realised that I had every mountain in my deck on the board, and a quick count did indeed confirm that there were 3.

(But I had so many lands that could fetch red! Fetches count as real red sources, right?)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
ekXEIGc.png

Yo dawg...

Uh, well, I'm not going to say that it was optimal, but I think this is a bit severe. Aside from playing Koth, are there specific things you disagree with? The deck went 1 - 2 (4 - 4 in games), which is pretty average. I don't know, should I have curved down and Bonesplittered? Maybe not playing it was wrong. Gone to 17 land?

So Eric exaggerated a little to get me to post, I don't think you drafted that poorly. Your build is really greedy though with 4 colourless lands out of 16 and a ton of colour symbols. I would've thinned out your red (cutting koth, guide, and maybe charge as well), cut vapors for snuff out to lower the curve further, and probably play 17 lands so you curve out more reliably. I would probably have gotten greedy and play the UB zombie lord with the steam vents in your board. I do think you wanted the bonesplitter main as well.