Inscho's Graveyard Combo Cube

From reading your recent write-ups, it sounds like you had a trajectory something like:

(1) You went through a huge drop in power-level and found the newfound design flexibility really exciting. It also sounded like you found a certain kind of deck-building space that you couldn't get at a higher power level.

(2) But, there was something missing. Something from the high power list didn't 100% transfer. And it has something to do with broken interactions, or intentional combinations of cards that require a few high power pieces (e.g. Urza? Oath?) to really shine. Does this sound right? Are there specific examples of that *something* that's missing when you drop the power-level? Like a play pattern that's no longer possible? I'm also very curious to hear what your players think, but I know the vids interrupted that.

Most of these look fine to me, some comments :

I'm surprised you're taking out Hallowblade, as its great. I don't like esper sentinel at all, it's not fun or interesting. Land tax is probably too powerful.

All the blue cards you're taking out are a bit lower power but they're all good. Could see them coming out but I'd be a little sad. Urza is probably too much on the mana ramp side of things but might just be on the cusp. Friends don't let friends cube Forbid, like please dont. I did wonder why you weren't cubing snapcaster.

Corpse churn seems like a low power swap. But other black cards are fine.

Red cards all good.

I think Wall of roots is super powerful. The most dangerous thing you're doing imo is adding the fast mana. It might be okay but it's the most risky. What a card though. Oath seems like a good include.

Is UG tempo attack now? I don't really like either of those cards but simic is urgh.

Colourless seem fine. Little sad about GPG, can you fit both expensive drops? Is mind slaver fun?

Few musings on changelist:
WHITE-love these changes, i’ve been disappointed by all the cuts in my own cube’s various iterations, except hallowblade who i cut as part of my shift away from linear aggro.
the adds are all really nice for white, especially personal pet card flickerwisp. i’ve had and heard very nice test results from esper sentinel, he really changes the way opponent has to sequence their early turns until he’s gone, it creates a nice subgame that’s effective but not too oppressive.

BLUE: agree with the cuts, except Trinket Mage, but i haven’t scoured the list enough to know if you’ve got enough hits for him. the adds are fine, except Forbid, which i think you’ll find to be polarizing between “this did nothing” and “this totally ruined the game.” it’s just not a fun card.

BLACK: the cuts puzzle me as these are all solid glue pieces that help black control/midrange decks do their thing.
the adds are also puzzling (except Entomb) - isn’t Corpse Churn just a worse Disentomb? it costs 100% more!

RED: this all makes sense, cuts are wise, adds are fun. i do question taking out Daredevil, but i’ll concede she needs a high density of “opponents running cheap spells” to do her thing, which can be difficult outside really xeroxy environments.

GREEN: did Jolrael just totally flop for you in testing? seems like some very targeted cuts. i love a good “draw two” deck in a cube but i get you might not want to signal something that’s not actually draftable. seems odd to remove Jolrael and add Edric though, as they’re best buddies.

GRAY: cuts make sense, most of the adds are pretty good, but mindslaver is kinda like forbid in my mind, bad until it wrecks someone’s night and never fun. rest of this looks good.

Agree that the black swaps look a little odd. Are you moving to make aggro/beatdown more powerful? You took out two powerful pieces of interaction that can help keep assertive decks in check for Bx combo or control decks.

Flickerwisp is inching closer to a degenerate grief, but maybe that's part of your goals.

Lightning Axe is such a powerful piece of interaction for Rx decks that want to interact with the GY, I'm a little sad to see it go.

Artifact swaps I mostly agree with, except like Alfonzo I'm sad to see GPG go.

I personally like miscalculation and neutralize over censor if you want to keep two of the cycling counters. Hard counters are pretty valuable. I also would not run Forbid, so I'm not sure the final status of the swap in general.

I understand what role the corpse churn is taking, just it being lots worse than Grapple with the Past, and looking pretty bad next to ransack the lab makes it a meh include IMO.

Wow, thanks for all of the great feedback!

From reading your recent write-ups, it sounds like you had a trajectory something like:

(1) You went through a huge drop in power-level and found the newfound design flexibility really exciting. It also sounded like you found a certain kind of deck-building space that you couldn't get at a higher power level.

(2) But, there was something missing. Something from the high power list didn't 100% transfer. And it has something to do with broken interactions, or intentional combinations of cards that require a few high power pieces (e.g. Urza? Oath?) to really shine. Does this sound right? Are there specific examples of that *something* that's missing when you drop the power-level? Like a play pattern that's no longer possible? I'm also very curious to hear what your players think, but I know the vids interrupted that.

My main issue with the higher power list was that it was a very "on-rails" experience. I supported 30+ distinct archetypes, but there was really only one way to properly draft each one. It didn't allow for much creativity, and archetypes weren't always intuitive. If you weren't familiar with the history of the game you might find yourself on the outside looking in. My cube group all played competitively at various points in time so they can handle high powered or complex formats. I just really didn't like the feeling that there was a hardline right or wrong way to draft a deck, which was information only I knew.

The main advantage of lowering the power level and narrowing the power band was that I could focus on a more exploratory draft experience, where archetypes are less defined, lie on spectrum, and bleed into one another more. Drafting becomes less about knowing, and more about finding which empowers drafters a little more imo and keeps things interesting. So that has been my focus for the last couple of years now, and is a quality that I very much want to maintain.

I never had any reservations with running good cards or doing broken stuff, and I embrace a lot of strategies and cards that are considered feel-bad here. But more than degenerate strategies, I'm looking for ways to foster extreme strategies.

Take this goofy oath deck for instance.

It doesn't go infinite or win in a single turn, but this is what I casually refer to as a combo deck in my environment. This deck is reasonably extreme and interesting, but still very much fair. Get Oath of Druids in play to search out a fatty or Eternal Witness....witness grabs Splendid Reclamation to mass reanimate all the oath-milled lands from your graveyard to ramp into your other creatures or you can go the Seasons Past route. You have the Life from the Loam + Ayula's Influence combo and a renaimator back up plan. Sevinne's Reclamation gets back an Oath or Ayula's influence to set up the engine again.

Oath lets a deck operate on a very different axis. Without it, this deck might look something more like:

Which may or may not look much different, but to me this deck is more of a midrange synergy pile. I love these decks...they are fun and interesting...I like how the game plan meanders a bit more in the absence of tutors. My cube pumps out a lot decks like the second example, but I'm interested in creating a few more instances like the first example...just nowhere near Mox Cube's density of extreme. :D

I'm surprised you're taking out Hallowblade, as its great. I don't like esper sentinel at all, it's not fun or interesting. Land tax is probably too powerful.
WHITE-love these changes, i’ve been disappointed by all the cuts in my own cube’s various iterations, except hallowblade who i cut as part of my shift away from linear aggro.
the adds are all really nice for white, especially personal pet card flickerwisp. i’ve had and heard very nice test results from esper sentinel, he really changes the way opponent has to sequence their early turns until he’s gone, it creates a nice subgame that’s effective but not too oppressive.
Flickerwisp is inching closer to a degenerate grief, but maybe that's part of your goals.

I like Hallowblade a lot, maybe it's a bad cut. I was thinking that the discard outlet in white wasn't really necessary, and I already have Adorned Pouncer and Seeker of the Way slotted into the 2 cmc beater role. I could possibly cut Trove Warden instead. Land Tax covers some of the same ground in the land sacrifice decks, but is far less awkward.

I want to give Land Tax a chance again. It's definitely on the higher end of the power spectrum, but offers some unique play patterns that white sorely needs.

Esper Sentinel is really cool. It brings some taxing effects to white which increases its appeal in resource denial strategies. It's a meager body that dies to everything. It brings a disruptive edge to vertical growth strategies, and is an artifact to boot. I played against it last night, and it was a good type of frustrating in my opinion. I've been looking for an alternative for Thalia, Guardian of Thraben for years.

There's no doubt Flickerwisp is an awesome card. My blink suite is so toned down that I felt like I could afford to bring in the 'wisp for its two-way flexibility without falling into genericblink.dec problem. I replaced one Vesperlark target with another, and you guys should know by now that this cube is just an excuse to play Vesperlark.

All the blue cards you're taking out are a bit lower power but they're all good. Could see them coming out but I'd be a little sad. Urza is probably too much on the mana ramp side of things but might just be on the cusp. Friends don't let friends cube Forbid, like please dont. I did wonder why you weren't cubing snapcaster.
BLUE: agree with the cuts, except Trinket Mage, but i haven’t scoured the list enough to know if you’ve got enough hits for him. the adds are fine, except Forbid, which i think you’ll find to be polarizing between “this did nothing” and “this totally ruined the game.” it’s just not a fun card.
I personally like miscalculation and neutralize over censor if you want to keep two of the cycling counters. Hard counters are pretty valuable. I also would not run Forbid, so I'm not sure the final status of the swap in general.

Blue is definitely where the power creep is felt a lot more. Blue's creature suite felt disproportionately toned down compared the other colors. I'd only been avoiding snapcaster, because it felt so generically strong and flexible compared to a lot of other creatures at 2cmc in my cube...it's so good, and only as good as your supporting spells so I finally caved in.

I knew I was going to get some backlash on Forbid, and you guys didn't disappoint. :D Y'all probably think that I'm like a toddler that burned his hand on the stove yesterday and then touches it again today. I've never felt Forbid was a problem card, you guys just shamed me for it lol. The format is pretty fast, and there are enough recursion, flashback, disruption to keep it honest. Like with Mindslaver, if you can manage the board state in such a way to lock someone out, kudos to you. Aggro can kill you with Berserk, why can't control decks do cheaty stuff too?

Corpse churn seems like a low power swap. But other black cards are fine
BLACK: the cuts puzzle me as these are all solid glue pieces that help black control/midrange decks do their thing.
the adds are also puzzling (except Entomb) - isn’t Corpse Churn just a worse Disentomb? it costs 100% more!
Agree that the black swaps look a little odd. Are you moving to make aggro/beatdown more powerful? You took out two powerful pieces of interaction that can help keep assertive decks in check for Bx combo or control decks.
I understand what role the corpse churn is taking, just it being lots worse than Grapple with the Past, and looking pretty bad next to ransack the lab makes it a meh include IMO.

Ok, corpse churn isn't great. What should I keep in its stead? Cling to Dust?

Night Incarnate over Languish seemed like a good swap since it's easy to recur, blink, and sneak out. I like that it ducks Archfiend of Ifnir, Curator of Mysteries, and Goblin Dark-Dwellers making it a little more useful for control.

GREEN: did Jolrael just totally flop for you in testing? seems like some very targeted cuts. i love a good “draw two” deck in a cube but i get you might not want to signal something that’s not actually draftable. seems odd to remove Jolrael and add Edric though, as they’re best buddies.
Is UG tempo attack now? I don't really like either of those cards but simic is urgh.

Jolrael is firmly a Temur card. It's great in those colors, I'm just not sure it's what I'm looking for....cutting the Onslaught cycle lands made it even less appealing in Selesnya and Golgari. Simic Dredge/Tempo has always been a thing, but had been a piece or two from being an enticing build in simic over other strategies. So I'm bringing back Wonder and Edric to see if that solves the issue. I really like Uro, every Simic deck wants it, but for now I like the signaling Edric provides.

Colourless seem fine. Little sad about GPG, can you fit both expensive drops? Is mind slaver fun?
GRAY: cuts make sense, most of the adds are pretty good, but mindslaver is kinda like forbid in my mind, bad until it wrecks someone’s night and never fun. rest of this looks good.
Artifact swaps I mostly agree with, except like Alfonzo I'm sad to see GPG go.

I think Mindslaver is fun...but I also think Forbid and land destruction are fun. :D

I do like GPG. Maybe I could just cut Gilded Lotus instead?

Thanks again for the replies!

Last edited:
I'm so jealous of your Splending Reclamation piles but I'm afraid of jamming it on my cube.

Also, who the hell hates Mindlsaver? Seriously, that card is extremely well designed and the effect is both fun and completely unique in gaming. It's difficult to lock your opponent with it and, while flashy, the card is closer to Fog than it might seem. Magic has only surpassed Cosmic Encounter like four times and Mindslaver is one of those times.

Forbid is interesting. On one hand, the design can lead to these unfun situations where you think you can get out but can't. On the other, it has been hit hard by Magic's evolution. Reactive spells have gotten much worse, creatures are bigger and the 1UU cost is prohibitive. After all, Cancel is unplayable.

Plenty of people hate Mindslaver... Nothing worse than losing because your own spells were used against you. Especially if it's recurred, but even if played once. And I would guess that recurring it is easier in this cube than in some others.

It an effect that has seen plenty of action in various modes of gaming, but "charmed" or "mad" etc. in RPGs immediately comes to mind, and lots of people dislike that effect in those games too... People like using their own cards/characters/strategies for their own purposes!!

Sometimes I forget people hate fun.

Nah, being serious, I know people don't like having their sandcastle knocked over and they hate if it's "unfair" in any way. I also know Mindslaver represents an inherent loss of player agency. But c'mon, I think everyone should recognize the fun in your own demise.

Mind control effects in RPGs are a massive red flag. It's not that I oppose them on principle but they are associated with massive levels of bullshit that Mindslaver, fortunately, doesn't have.

Mindslaver can be pretty damn BS too. I've seen tasteful executions of the charm effect in RPGs (looking at you Divinity), I've seen cool and interesting uses of Mindslaver that brought back a player from the brink or set up a cool closeout to a game. And I've seen bad executions of charm in games that insta-TPK or something, and I've seen horrid Mindslavers that strip away an entire game's worth of effort and planning in one swoop without recourse.

It's all in how much agency is stripped away when, and the fact that is can be so variable is the issue for me.

Looking into some of these higher powered ideas
tiger.jpg

Inscho, I really want to ask you about Cursed Mirror. It's a very intriguing card and I wonder what you do with it. I suspect it might be something I would like to run as well!

Inscho, I really want to ask you about Cursed Mirror. It's a very intriguing card and I wonder what you do with it. I suspect it might be something I would like to run as well!

No play data to share yet. It's there as a Welder/Sneak Attack/Wildfire intersection card. I don't run a lot of acceleration so it has value as a mana rock. It seems like a fun card with a lot of play...it's nice that it can target your opponent's creatures which makes it a lot more valuable to loop via welders or blink. It's worded like a clone so it copies any ETB abilities. The Sneak Attack deck likes it because you can copy a sneaked creature, or it can help you ramp into one of those big creatures if you don't have a cheat piece. The Wildfire deck likes it, because it helps ramp into Wildfire or copy one of the large creatures that tends to be in the deck that survive Wildfire. A mana rock that can be a second copy of your Goblin Dark-Dwellers/Eternal Witness or be a pseudo Lava Axe is pretty spicy.

I think there's some danger of it being a "cute" luxury card, but I can't say for sure until I get some reps with it under my belt.

In my ongoing attempts to push my cube's power level to the point just before everything falls to shit...I'm currently mulling these changes over:

Out:

In:

Speculative list with the above changes: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/f7q

Putting it into a post helps me visualize the losses and gains that come with ratcheting the power up.

Two picks into the rectangle draft of the Mox Cube and I'm already craving a return to more broken interactions in my cube. Maybe the Mox Cube is inspiring my next Blazing Rootwalla fever dream of the week? Only time will tell.

Some of these changes would switch out more synergistic/delicate interactions with ones that have stronger archetype defining qualities and gravity.

My position on tutors has softened as I grow interested in making combo a little more intentional. I definitely enjoy incidental combo, but I'd also like for decks to have the resources for more streamlined plans of execution.

Would love to hear any thoughts you guys have.

Reaching a bit of decision paralysis on this adjustment.

I think I've ruled out a lot of the top end includes:

I'm getting closer to ticking up that power level, but I'm not quite there yet. If/when I do increase the power, it will likely need to be a complete overhaul.

Pretty sure I still want to bring in:

On the fence on:

With Wonder it is mostly due to lack of space more than anything.

Currently thinking of keeping the onslaught cycle land as they are such a defining aspect of the cube. In general, I realized that the first proposed update would really dilute the discard-centric backbone of the cube. Reducing the prevalence of discard would have a lot of other ramifications. Definitely a domino effect. I'm still sorting out the cuts to make room for these additions, but I think I can safely integrate all of these without much disruption.

I think they mostly seem fine. I've always found scroll rack to be a bit of a durdle do nothing, but it depends on your environment I suppose. I could see you bringing it in with land tax, but I guess it's good with some of your other land draw stuff as well. I guess you'll have to watch it with life from the loam in particular!

Wonder can be a bit of an uninteractive feel bad, but it does close games out.

You want phyrexian furnace in addition to scrabbling claws? I can see that, as it's the perfect kind of graveyard removal I think, but it's a shame there aren't any other real candidates for options really.

I like the gilded lotus -> hedron archive swap.

I've always found scroll rack to be a bit of a durdle do nothing, but it depends on your environment I suppose. I could see you bringing it in with land tax, but I guess it's good with some of your other land draw stuff as well. I guess you'll have to watch it with life from the loam in particular!

I can see that. Scroll rack in pretty good in the self-mill decks as a safety valve if you are going to mill out with no win con. It’s also great with oath. I like it with Loam and it’s great with Tax if I end up adding it at some point. It’s also just a pet card I’ve wanted to add back for a while.

You want phyrexian furnace in addition to scrabbling claws? I can see that, as it's the perfect kind of graveyard removal I think, but it's a shame there aren't any other real candidates for options really.

Yeah claws is the ideal graveyard hate for me, and furnace is really just taking the place of Watchers of the Dead. I like having an extra bauble for Emry or Scrap Trawler

I’m beginning to think that I need to add another 5 artifacts to support all of the artifact strategies.

The shortlist of considerations (some of which were recently cut):

Last edited:
I like Trading Post a lot. It opens up a lot of venues for unique control decks. I also like Land Tax. While it's very strong, I think the fact that you need to make it useable when you are first forces you to build a deck around it. My biggest fear with the card is not so much its power, but my drafters putting it in the wrong decks.

I also like Cused Scroll as you don't seem to be able to kill 95% of your creatures with it. I'm not sold on the rest and I recommend against Filigree Familiar which I've found is either too expensive at three mana, or too slow to draw a card or has too weak of a body to ever feel good. It's the kind of card that is not wrong to have around but that you don't miss if it's gone. I just don't think it's the best use of a slot in a cube.

I'm tinkering around with an update incorporating the new Innistrad cards as they are spoiled. Some cards aren't available on CC yet so there are some custom images:

Working Draft

Some small changes I'm exploring:
- Cutting 5 cards from the cube 380->375
- Adding 5 cards to the artifact section
- Overall increase in artifact synergy
- Removing some of the more narrow cards that have high ceilings such as:

I would be sad to see Oath of Druids leave the cube. It is such a crazy build around that also dumps your deck into the GY for further abuse.
I have no qualms about the others (well maybe Anger a little bit, it's a favorite of mine).

Considering cutting Murmuring Mystic, Young Pyromancer, and Saheeli, Sublime Artificer as the spells matters tokens deck is beginning to stick out more and more as I'm exploring more artifact and discard-driven synergies.

I've long had an idea for a Izzet Combo deck centered around Wheel effects as I run several already. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I wanted to put it down to think about more closely:

Wheels:

I already run these as payoffs:

Spiral, Memory, and Echo are non-bos with the above.

General synergy:

+any of the many cards with flashback.....there's tons of looting effects to bolster the gameplan.

Other payoffs that come immediately to mind:

Some awkward, some narrow, and some good.

More help:

For a brief period of time, I supported a fringey Mizzix's Mastery deck that was just a ton of burn and ways to tutor for Mizzix's mastery. I still think about that deck a lot.

Winning through drawing out your deck seems like the most intuitive option here and would require the fewest additions. I already run a lot of looting and self-mill effects. I think it just needs a few pieces to make the archetype feel a little more intentional. Primarily a red payoff like Immolating Gyre or maybe Seize the Storm.

I feel like there's more here to explore, but my lunch break is over and I have to get back to work. Would love to hear any of your thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited: