Inscho's Graveyard Combo Cube

Maybe this is heretical, but could Lizard Blades be the cut for the helm? It's a similar slot and if you squint they're both aggro cards. +2/+2 is an awful lot like double strike on critters that are 2/2 or smaller, after all.

It's a fair suggestion, but I'd much rather cut Hound than Blades. Vertical growth is an axis of play that I very much want to maintain, and double strike is one of the few ways to make vertical growth feel more explosive.

Just yesterday, I added it back to my MP cube, as a way to boost creature damage, have wrath protection and a source of card advantage. All that while being an artifact really makes for a solid card. The discard would be even more potent in your cube.

Agreed.

If you can palate the mana cost,

e4662a9c-3cbd-41f7-8c15-d048a3826a42.jpg

Seems like it ticks a bunch of boxes for your cube.

I never really understood the appeal of Cavalier before, but I'd been reading the card wrong and just realized that the revealed cards go to the graveyard. That seems pretty decent. Green of all colors can stomach CCC costs. I need to think about to it some more, but it's a good suggestion.

I completely understand what it's doing here, it just looks so silly next to Phoenix of Ash having similar escape costs. Diminishing returns on escape, delve, and other mechanics that eat your own graveyard is real, and I think the phoenix and Ox of Agonas will leave the hound on the outside looking in a lot of the time.

Diminishing returns is very real. You've made a great case for cutting the Hound. I'll make the swap. Thanks for the input!

I kind of miss Anje's Ravager in your discard deck, and the helm might be able to fill that hole. But it's for sure not a given that it is the best option.

Yeah, Ravager is a fun card. I miss it at times. A low-key fun way to use Ravager is with Exploration and Fastbond in an aggro loam deck. It and Radha, Heart of Keld put add some early pressure while fueling land tricks. I think I cut it for Burning Inquiry....Burning Inquiry is a bit novel, but can be a pretty interesting card to build around. I like that it can almost be an Ancestral in this environment. It can wreck your opponent's hand and combos with Underworld Breach.

The card I'm missing the most right now is Glint-Horn Buccaneer. I cut it for Countryside Crusher, but I think I may just want to run both.

I'm gearing up for a move out of state, and I haven't had much time or mental space for cube. That said, I have some small tweaks to make.

Out:

In:

Cuts are mostly awkward archetype fits and underperformers. Lotus Cobra is great, but just didn't feel right. Metamorph has been a boogeyman, but I'm excited to bring it back.

I'd like to upgrade one piece of black's removal suite, but haven't settled on what. Under consideration are:

I'm also trying to find room for Pia and Kiran Nalaar, and maybe Glint-Horn Buccaneer.

I hope to fire up the cube a couple more times before I move. It's going to be difficult to replace my playgroup in Philly. I've been playing with some of those guys for over a decade, and it's a pretty special group. I'm not sure if l want to put in the effort to find a new group to play with. I have some other interests that have taken a backseat for too long, and the move is an opportunity to reset some priorities. I'll probably maintain the cube, but likely won't be overhauling it like I have in the past. I'm pretty content to just wait for the right printings to come up to satisfy some design holes rather than endlessly tweaking the list. This might also just be my present level of fatigue talking....getting a house ready to sell, moving cross country, finding a new home, etc...it's a lot!

I'll probably wait until after the move to update the primer, and then things will (knock on wood) be largely set.

Last edited:
:(
:)

I like the changes overall, but I am always sad to see Thalia getting cut. The investigate removal and DTT play really well though, glad to see them coming (back?) in.

If I had to make a cut for P&K from your list right now, I would look at either:

For being a bit weak/variable or I would look at:

For being a bit on the strong side.

Most of the cuts I'm suggesting are from the discard-y madness-y decks. Those decks always underperformed for me in Red with singleton. I wouldn't cut all of these, but I think trimming one or two weak enablers or mediocre payoffs for some synergistic midrange beef would be a reasonable idea.

If you do keep Sneak Attack I would want to see Weatherseed Treefolk, this Cube seems like the perfect power level for that sort of thing. The main reason I'm suggesting cutting Sneak is that there aren't a ton of creatures that are super great sneak targets, but those that are seem a bit more potent than might be entirely desirable at this power level when examining the Cube as a whole.

Most of the cuts I'm suggesting are from the discard-y madness-y decks. Those decks always underperformed for me in Red with singleton. I wouldn't cut all of these, but I think trimming one or two weak enablers or mediocre payoffs for some synergistic midrange beef would be a reasonable idea.

Avacyn's Judgment is definitely a bit awkward. It doesn't fit in the aggro deck super well, and red's control deck is more of the wildfire variety. I think it's a possible cut. Burning Inquiry is a little cute, but I love the combo with Underworld Breach, and it's a bit of an achievement unlocker to build a deck that can abuse it.

Firestorm is a bit fussy, but I want to see it in action some more before cutting it. I love a challenging dynamic card and that is the very definition of Firestorm.

Greater Gargardon and Wildfire are pretty much staples in my book.

Cathartic Pyre isn't the greatest, but the modality is nice for the madness and self-mill decks.

If you do keep Sneak Attack I would want to see Weatherseed Treefolk, this Cube seems like the perfect power level for that sort of thing. The main reason I'm suggesting cutting Sneak is that there aren't a ton of creatures that are super great sneak targets, but those that are seem a bit more potent than might be entirely desirable at this power level when examining the Cube as a whole

The tempo of my format is pretty fast, and while I'm lacking in singular bombs, decks can be surprisingly strong. Treefolk is a little underpowered for the environment. The Sneak Attack targets with the highest ceiling have been selected for their vulnerability to artifact hate. It allows the Sneak deck to be somewhat fair even when doing "unfair" things.

Thanks for the comments. I think Judgment is a fairly easy cut.

========

We got a six man pod in on Monday. We ended up with 12 people for the night so split 6 and 6 cube draft and NEO draft. Not ideal, but I'll take any chance to cube that I can get. We unfortunately forgot to time rounds and ran out of time for a third round.

I made the executive decision to draft 4 packs of 16 burning the last four of each pack so that all archetype pieces were available in the pool. Our pod was up for a little extra sauce to their decks. The lists:

Inscho: Grixis Scraps 2-0

I was very pleased with this build. The deck spewed artifacts onto the board, and used recursive loops to stall while cracking baubles in search of Cannoneer or Mindslaver. Scrap Trawler was easily my MVP. I drew Blackstaff once, but already had the game locked up so it didn't see any action. Furnace and Claws continue to be my favorite brand of graveyard hate.

As durdly as the deck looks I only had one or two turns that felt tedious...it was basically bauble my way into a combo piece and end the game as soon as possible. While the deck felt pretty absurd half of my games still came down to the wire.

Luke: 5c Mill Combo 1-1

Luke drafted all the fixing in my cube and came up with this wild 5c self-mill/land shenanigan deck. I played him in round two, and won one game via Cannoneer. The other game, he dumped his hand into play with Exploration and Mox Diamond, but inevitably got locked up by his own Mesmeric Orb after my graveyard hate removed his win-cons. This was a deck that really wanted to see Nexus of Fate or a Scroll Rack. He had an Elixir of Immortality in his board, which would've been serviceable, but not really ideal.

The topic of Dark Depths combo came up, and while I don't think it's a good fit for my environment, I would like to give the lands deck a win-con to assemble...just something I'm keeping my eye on.

Corey: Izzet Tempo Loot 1-1

Corey drafted a pretty nice izzet tempo deck. He expressed that he felt like his deck needed another payoff. His sideboard included Bloodrage Brawler, Burning Inquiry, Mental Note, and Ox of Agonas...so had he drafted another payoff piece or two (Phoenix of Ash, Flamewake Phoenix, Containment Construct, etc) I think his deck would've been really over the top. I think his build is correct given his card pool, but ultimately a bit more midrange than I'd normally want this deck to be.

His Rielle was also apparently shuffled into his opponents deck and he played a couple of games without his primary payoff. Tough luck. :confused:

This pool shows how much Glint-Horn Buccaneer and Ethereal Forager (@TrainmasterGT ) are missed, and I think I need to bring them both back. It also is an example of why Avacyn's Judgment is a bit of an odd duck in my cube since this deck wants to be more aggressive and Judgment points to a slower madness deck being supported (that isn't).

Mike H: Mardu Artifact Aggro 1-1

I played Mike H. round 1, and two of our three games came down to a single turn where the other player was threatening next turn lethal. I think he had one misplay that could've swung the match in his favor that involved playing Purphoros over Mayhem Devil when we were both at low life totals, and I needed to sacrifice a lot of things on my turn to be able to win.

I love love love the soft disruption package of Canonist, Sentinel, and Tangle Wire.

Mike W: Sultai Dredge 1-1

I didn't really get to see Mike W's deck in action, but when asked about the night, he mentioned that he waited a little long to jump into the graveyard theme, and as a result passed up on some important synergy pieces. Which tracks looking at the list, as the deck is a couple pieces shy of optimal. Still a solid build.

Nick: Bant Blink 0-2

I don't have much info to share about Nick's deck, but it sounded like he had close matches. I like the metagaming available to Selesnya with the various exiling effects and disenchants. He had a couple of cards in his board that I think should've been maindecked (Thraben Inspector and Endurance primarily). Another mana elf and something like a Thalia, Guardian of Thraben would've been nice to shift the tempo of the deck some. I think I'll probably bring Thalia back (@TrainmasterGT).

Seemed like everyone enjoyed the draft and their decks. We dispersed quickly, because it got to be so late so my report is pretty thin for the night.

I'm trying to set up one more cube draft before I move. The next time it will be a full 8-pod.

Last edited:
I think I'll probably bring Thalia back (@TrainmasterGT).
:D

The tempo of my format is pretty fast, and while I'm lacking in singular bombs, decks can be surprisingly strong. Treefolk is a little underpowered for the environment. The Sneak Attack targets with the highest ceiling have been selected for their vulnerability to artifact hate. It allows the Sneak deck to be somewhat fair even when doing "unfair" things.
That makes sense. Just wondering– is this from past testing with Mr. Treefolk or are you going off of theory? I'm trying to gauge what sort of "real" environment Sneak+Tree might work with since it's just kind of a cool meme combo with that nostalgia value which is increasingly difficult to get without forcing. Tree man seems like the sort of card that might suffer from what I'm dubbing "the Mantis Rider effect," where the card looks kind of mopey on paper because it's just a block of stats and some reasonable abilities but nothing necessarily special. As it turns out, rider is actually just a fine card in Cube (go figure, the Standard all-star and Modern playable card is good :p), but people just don't play it because it's 3 colors and not that exciting. I'm unsure if that's the case or not for Mr. treefolk, but I would think a beefy creature that keeps coming back would be good somewhere, especially considering its past pedigree as a tournament card.

Anyway, that's my random series of musings about a card from before I was born that I probably can't support ;).

Thanks for the comments. I think Judgment is a fairly easy cut.
Oh you're welcome. Your Cube has been a great inspiration to me over the years so I'd love to give back if I can!

We have a full pod lined up for tonight, and @landofMordor will be making it out :cool:

A quick update before the draft (undoing a couple of changes from my last update):

In:

Out:

It's been several years since I cut Sun Titan for being too strong for my format, but I believe the speed of my environment has picked up enough for it to be reasonable again. I've wanted to run it for years, and now is a good time to try it out since I may not get another opportunity to cube for a few months with the impending move. Similarly, Pia and Kiran are also coming back from a long leave of absence.

Hallowed Burial is a top shelf wrath in the format, and sorely needed to support white-based control decks as there is such a high density of recursion in the format. BIO felt redundant in the presence of both Balance and Cataclysm as build-arounds for recursive creatures. The permanence of the creature tuck feels more necessary in this slot.

Looter over Cryptologist: Cryptologist is a little too slow if not in your opening grip, and an unnecessary bit of complexity. The decks that will have the mana to spend on leveling it up have more broken things to do. Looter having 1 power is surprisingly relevant.

Buccaneer over Crusher: I still like Crusher, but it is too fringe and often ends up in player's sideboards. Buccaneer offers a similar type of dynamism while being a more useful in more of red's decks.

Druid over Oracle: Oracle has become a bit slow with the introduction of both Exploration and Fastbond. I noticed the other day that a lot of my green creatures are "role players" and don't necessarily lure you into drafting green....I think this is because many of the high profile green creatures are not great fits for my current environment: Titania, Protector of Argoth, Craterhoof Behemoth, Scavenging Ooze, Lotus Cobra, Thragtusk, et al. Cutting Oracle meant cutting one of the few standout green creatures, and it needed to be replaced by something intriguing. Hermit Druid offers a fair, but high ceiling build-around.

Explore over Migration Path: An easy opportunity to lower my curve without really losing anything.

landofMordor

Administrator
I thought I'd write up my thoughts from last night's excellent draft, given that inscho has asked for feedback. This will hopefully save you the effort of transcribing my notes from another source; instead you can just link this, haha.

First, I'll describe my draft through my "player mentality" trying to spike the draft and have a fun night with friends.

I started with a P1P1 Ashnod's Altar over Misty Rainforest and some shockland. I was thinking to myself, "here's this infinite mana enabler thingy, and that seems like a higher value over replacement than a fetchland." On P1P2, I picked some sort of removal, I thinkSkyclave Apparition, also considering that it would allow me to interact with my opponents' combo pieces. Shortly thereafter, I was gifted a Volrath's Stronghold, which was around the time when I realized I do not have the cube-specific or general knowledge or experience to build a combo deck on the fly, much less with Ashnod's Altar, so I shifted lanes to push as hard into W aggro as I could. I had already seen a Thalia which I suspected would wheel, and it did, followed by a late Declaration in Stone, which really made me feel I'd found an open lane. I paired it with Black based on a speculative early Godless Shrine plus a Windswept Heath, but because I didn't see much fixing, I was hesitant to move out of base-white.

Later in the draft (packs 2-3), I was trying to prioritize 1) fixing, 2) premium interaction, 3) a critical mass of cheap critters -- in that order. I felt like I had to compromise quite a bit, playing Timeless Dragon/Weathered Wayfarer/Tithe for manafixing, which kinda fed into my lack of cheap creatures, since I had to play Dread Wanderer and Gutterbones in my mostly-white deck, plus half my white beaters were off-plan for a deck as aggressive as I wanted to be. That said, I still had a neat little synergy package with Collective Brutality, Priest of Fell Rites, Sevinne's Reclamation, and other graveyard loopy things, so there were definitely some highlights in the draft phase.

Round 1 I played Inscho's combo-y deck that luckily had very little board presence, so I got to set up pretty effective locks with Tidehollow Sculler nabbing recursive pieces and Phyrexian Revoker stopping W6 out of the board (I wasn't confident in my ability to name combo pieces blindly, so I started Revoker in the board, then brought him mainboard when I realized how many face-up stuff existed that would be worth stopping, e.g. equipment and sacrifice outlets).

Round 2 I played a RBw Sacrifice-matters deck in what would be my favorite of the three matches. Game one was pretty tight but I lost to a Greater Gargadon + Mayhem Devil doming me for 10. Game two was a beauty, though -- I had established a pretty firm lock using Volrath's Stronghold+Cathar Commando+Skyclave Apparition, exiling anything that mattered, and used a Balance as a 7-for-1. I eventually lost when I passed priority to my opponent's Pia and Kiran Nalaar at 5 life with no flying blockers, even though I knew doing so would present the opportunity for lethal. I think the lateness of the evening caught up to me at this point, but it was still such a close game at all times that it was a complete blast to pilot.

Round 3 I played a UW artifacty durdle pile, which as far as I could tell was relying on the all-around strength of its Urzas, Nettlecysts, Walking Ballistae, and Kappa Cannoneers to achieve near-unbeatable card quality in the lategame. I managed to disrupt this shell in game 1, but wasn't fast enough in later games (plus some shaky decisionmaking overall).

Okay, cue the editorializing. I quite enjoyed the not-max-power draft and deckbuilding opportunities, including my Priest/Sun Titan/Unearth/Volrath's loops and the cute interactions between stuff like Touch the Spirit Realm and Tidehollow Sculler, etc. I don't usually get the opportunity for being that johnny in my own cube -- some cute stuff exists, but it's forced to be on the game plan of "curve out with good interaction, or perish" a little more than in this environment. So I just had a few turns over the course of gameplay where the novel synergies took up the mana I'm used to spending on Escaping Uro or chaining cantrips or trying to force through the last 3 damage. Great stuff.

I did feel, however, that my deck was somewhat doomed due to its twin lack of consistency and power. Sure, I had Balance/Thalia/Volrath's and a low-ish mana curve, but I lacked the fixing/redundancy to be consistently proactive, and lacked the overall card quality to be consistently powerful. I feel like either one would have sufficed to take my deck up a tier of power. I observed that my opponents in R2/R3 had those deck strengths respectively -- the RB deck had many redundant artifact synergies that meant it never used up its turn activating Wayfarer to fix mana, nor did it have deck slots taken up by off-plan cards; meanwhile, the UW artifact pile wasn't proactive, but had a fathoms-deep roster of powerhouses, including many cards that define Modern and/or are too powerful for Pioneer.

This reads like I'm just complaining I didn't win more, lol. But I do think there are some general design insights here, which you should take with several grains of salt and/or corroborate with other drafters and your past experience:

1) This cube context is very unique. It's not as impenetrable as the Degenerate Micro Cube, which was kinda miserable on the first draft because it's so idiosyncratic. But it was in the least-grokkable half of all cubes I've played, kinda similar to the first time I played power-maxing Pauper or Peasant environments. The flip side is that I could already tell how deeply replayable this format is.

2) I felt that a chokepoint in this format is average card quality. Yeah, I'll make 23 playables easily enough, but are my 23 as strong on average as the person who drafted Wrenn & Six? Combo enablers, while they get a bye for being literally game-winning in the right context, definitely contribute to this variance, because there's two kinds of combo -- the one that requires you to loop Myr Retriever and Mindslaver for a bajillion mana and like 4 high-risk/high-interactivity game pieces, and the one that requires you to just put Wrenn and Wasteland into your deck. The combos which utilize above-rate game pieces in this format seemed to dominate the ones that required scraping the bottom of the card quality pool for enablers. My Volrath's/Commando combo was somewhat median, I felt -- Commando isn't embarrassing on its own, and Volrath's comes with opportunity cost and manascrew risk, but the ceiling of both together was inordinately high. Mayhem Devil + stuff that attacks and blocks also seemed pretty median, but the ceiling is a lot lower there.

3) Another chokepoint may(?) be on consistent access to bread-and-butter effects (interaction and fixing), especially during draft. I was really crushed that my aggro deck would be forced to play only 2 mana-fixing lands, plus two colorless lands (Wasteland/Volrath's), which is definitely a function of my predilections as a Magic player, but it did create some unpleasant moments in draft where I felt unable to successfully "draft the hard way" early, or pivot out of an archetype late, even when I knew pieces for other decks were flowing (like that pick 8 Wrenn, haha). These moments came because I knew I couldn't incorporate the strong cards that wheeled late, nor could I afford to pivot away from my premium removal or the precious few fixing lands that I did get early, so I felt forced to pick mediocre or off-plan things in my current lane.

On reflection of these three points, I think the most fun I had during the draft was discovering the cool pockets of synergy with just-barely-on-rate pieces (again, that Unearth/Priest/Sun Titan package). To be precise, I think the average rate for this cube is roughly Path to Exile (not Swords), Lightning Strike (not Bolt), Opt (not Ponder), or Sylvan Advocate (not Goyf), or Rankle (not Liliana). The coolest game pieces I interacted with during this draft were the game pieces that were just at or below that power level, because they let me explore a new format in a way that was more low-risk than venturing into bizarro combo territory, and still have a sense of discovery and of maximizing underappreciated game pieces. And, to be clear, I had a lot of fun doing that! My design criticisms are simply one perspective in an effort to give you constructive feedback, but the main takeaway for me is how much I want to make a cube where Priest of Fell Rites can be the star of the show, because I had a blast using it.

Thanks again for hosting the draft and for inviting me!

Things have been super hectic since the draft 4/18...so much that it's been hard to find time to do anything online. @landofMordor I'm going to wait to respond to your thoughtful post until I have a little more mental bandwidth. It was great to have you out, and I really wish we had gotten more opportunities to draft together before my move.

I was waiting for some time when I could write an in depth analysis of our cube night, but with the way things are shaping up that could take me a couple months. So here are the lists from a memorable last cube night in Philly:

Luke 2-0-1:

Corey 2-1:

Corey’s notes:
I lost to luke. I enjoyed drafting and playing my deck. I'm not confident that it was an optimal build, I thought it was more token-y than it really was, but it worked ok.

I would often get out to what seemed like a quick start, and opponents would react as if I was very aggressive. My quick starts were usually chipping in for a couple of damage but it was really easy for opponents to stabilize. At that point, my deck focused on being grindy and get in damage where I could, but ultimately waiting for a big sac payoff with a few mayhem devil/blood artist dudes on the battlefield and a huge sac event to bring me the win. My deck was all about board development and reach. It was also sort of attrition-y, although I often didn't feel like I had the pieces to really prevent or break-up someone else's gameplan.

Games in general felt like a race to the combo, with whoever got there first being the winner. At several times both me and my opponents were combo-ing, and it was a race to see who could top-deck an answer first. answers were often temporary disruptions that bought enough time to push through enough damage/value to win. So yes, like every game I played was very much focused on who drew the best opener and who top-decked the best when the board stalled.

I did have a fun win with mayhem devil and cutthroat when I top-decked gargadon and sacced my entire board to beat parker. Before that play, we were totally stalled out, so this speaks to my earlier point. My games vs Aaron and Parker were thought-provoking and challenging puzzles. Lots of fun. My match vs luke was anticlimactic as he nonchalantly destroyed everything I tried while simultaneously drawing his library and hitting every color of land he needed. it was pretty brutal

Overall, another great experience, i just want to keep diving back in to try to draft/play and face off against other decks and strategies

Aaron 2-1:

Inscho 2-1:

I was pretty pleased with my deck, and I wanted to draft my favorite archetype for my last draft in Philly. I won most games that I stuck a Mesmeric Orb or Oath of Druids. I combo'd out against Mike H. and Nick’s decks, but completely rolled over to @landofMordor's deck. I really hoped we'd have a good match, but his noncreature permanent removal, hand disruption, and low curve just wrecked me.

Parker (@landofMordor ) 1-2:

Nick 1-2:

Mike H. 1-2:

Mike W. 0-0-1:

Mike W’s notes:

Match 1- Luke - soulherder/blink.
Game 1 I got a fairly aggressive start and was able to get a few big hits in with the Skaab Ruinator. He killed his soul herder several times, but he was able to buy it back. He stabilized, but I was able to filter through enough cards to top deck a burn spell for the win. Game 2 I was much less aggressive and he was able to get Soul Herder going much more quickly and it snowballed out of control. I scooped fairly quickly once that happened. In both of these games I cast the 3/3 flyer with delve that exiles instant/sorceries only to have him immediately bounce it. Game 3 I got off to my most aggressive start and was attacking with the phoenix and the 2/4 discard red creature that pings him. I had the timely removal for his soul herder. I had him down to 5 when he drew the removal spell that puts creatures on the bottom of the library. I cast Grim Lavamancer, and then we went to turns. He metamorphed my lavamancer, so I had to kill that on my turn, which left me a turn short of being able to go to the face for lethal and we drew.

Match 2 – Aaron – Esper artifacts

Game 1 I got mulliganed and then got stuck on two lands and he beat me pretty handily. Game 2 was a long, grindy game where we both drew a lot of creatures and had a bit of a stalemate. I had my engine going and at one point was able to cycle the Force Spike card and then play it off of the creature that lets you play cards that you discarded that turn. I ended up countering his spell and drawing two cards and dealt him some damage with the discard creature. I eventually pinged him low enough that I was able to attack and discard a bunch of cards to pump the ½ creature and deal him direct damage with the other guy. I don’t remember game 3 too much. We also got into a bit of a board stall and eventually we went to turns. He cast mindslaver and was able to tap me out, make him draw 4 cards with deep analysis, and then cracked back on his turn for the win.

Match 3 – Mike H. Tinker/Reanimator

Game 1 he ramped pretty well and had a turn 4 or 5 Myr Battlesphere. I was able to kill it with the isset command spell. He eventually won, but I don’t recall much else at this point. Game 2 went much better for me and I was able to get my combo-y creatures and dealt a lot of damage by discarding spells. I had a great hand game 3 and was going to set up again, but he tinkered for Myr Battlesphere on turn 3 and I had no answer.

=====

His chief complaint was that creatures weren’t able to attack a lot and he struggled dealing the finishing blow of damage. Looking at the list and his sideboard, I think his pool had a more aggressive build available that might’ve been more successful. His board included Reinforced Ronin, Waterfront Bouncer, Ox of Agonas, Careful Study, Wonder, and Burning Inquiry

Overall a successful night. Lots of laughs and lots of fun.

I’m finally settled in enough for a belated response. I appreciate you taking the time to do such a thorough write-up. It’s a rare treat!

I did feel, however, that my deck was somewhat doomed due to its twin lack of consistency and power. Sure, I had Balance/Thalia/Volrath's and a low-ish mana curve, but I lacked the fixing/redundancy to be consistently proactive, and lacked the overall card quality to be consistently powerful. I feel like either one would have sufficed to take my deck up a tier of power. I observed that my opponents in R2/R3 had those deck strengths respectively -- the RB deck had many redundant artifact synergies that meant it never used up its turn activating Wayfarer to fix mana, nor did it have deck slots taken up by off-plan cards; meanwhile, the UW artifact pile wasn't proactive, but had a fathoms-deep roster of powerhouses, including many cards that define Modern and/or are too powerful for Pioneer.

I’m going to elaborate on some of this later (typing this paragraph last as I initially missed this while typing on my iPhone). Bridging the hate-bearsy white weenie angle with black’s dredging + recursive creatures is a slight challenge…the pool really needs to either see a couple pieces of equipment/ demonic embrace or some stax components to give it a little punch (or both!)…

or

That said, this archetype could stand to have another another white 1-drop. I just haven’t found the right one.

1) This cube context is very unique. It's not as impenetrable as the Degenerate Micro Cube, which was kinda miserable on the first draft because it's so idiosyncratic. But it was in the least-grokkable half of all cubes I've played, kinda similar to the first time I played power-maxing Pauper or Peasant environments. The flip side is that I could already tell how deeply replayable this format is.

Improving the approachability of the cube has been a point of emphasis over the last couple of years. Previous iterations were much more esoteric. It’s something I’ve written about a lot throughout the course of this thread.

The way I envision the cube now is that the foundation is a fairly approachable synergy cube with the cards guiding you through interactions and then there are the combo pieces that “unlock” the decks you’ve intuitively arrived at. Since the amount of singularly powerful cards has been reduced, it’s often about drafting cards that intrigue you, and then finding ways to make them better. It’s just a different draft mentality, and I think upon redrafts it would make a little more sense.

For instance, Ashnod’s Altar is a card that will often be taken in the last 5 cards of a pack. It provides no value on it’s own, is narrow and difficult to build around…it is more of a card that dials the power up on a card pool with an established gameplan. The cards that are more challenging to wrap your head around should make more sense the deeper into the draft you get….or they wheel and get regulated to sideboards. Which is fine, because you often have too many playables in cube, and you get three extra cards in the 3x16 draft format.

2) I felt that a chokepoint in this format is average card quality. Yeah, I'll make 23 playables easily enough, but are my 23 as strong on average as the person who drafted Wrenn & Six? Combo enablers, while they get a bye for being literally game-winning in the right context, definitely contribute to this variance, because there's two kinds of combo -- the one that requires you to loop Myr Retriever and Mindslaver for a bajillion mana and like 4 high-risk/high-interactivity game pieces, and the one that requires you to just put Wrenn and Wasteland into your deck. The combos which utilize above-rate game pieces in this format seemed to dominate the ones that required scraping the bottom of the card quality pool for enablers. My Volrath's/Commando combo was somewhat median, I felt -- Commando isn't embarrassing on its own, and Volrath's comes with opportunity cost and manascrew risk, but the ceiling of both together was inordinately high. Mayhem Devil + stuff that attacks and blocks also seemed pretty median, but the ceiling is a lot lower there.

I get the point you’re making, but I’m not sure it’s as big of an issue as it may seem after one draft. For instance W&6 + Wasteland would be a house in your cube, and is still good here, but is less oppressive as decks are typically two colors + light splash. There are a handful of cards that are power outliers in the cube, but they provide something (I consider) vital to the environment. They may occasionally lead to non-games, but the benefits outweigh the liabilities (imo). It’s the balancing act you go through when you don’t use customs and are waiting for the more perfectly appropriate card to be printed.

Another layer to the inclusion of some power outliers is when a color, guild, or archetype needs a bit of gas to be as relevant as others. For instance, Gruul struggles to be as enticing in this cube as some other guilds, so a spicy W&6 is good bait, but also not the easiest for someone to goodstuff splash.

3) Another chokepoint may(?) be on consistent access to bread-and-butter effects (interaction and fixing), especially during draft. I was really crushed that my aggro deck would be forced to play only 2 mana-fixing lands, plus two colorless lands (Wasteland/Volrath's), which is definitely a function of my predilections as a Magic player, but it did create some unpleasant moments in draft where I felt unable to successfully "draft the hard way" early, or pivot out of an archetype late, even when I knew pieces for other decks were flowing (like that pick 8 Wrenn, haha). These moments came because I knew I couldn't incorporate the strong cards that wheeled late, nor could I afford to pivot away from my premium removal or the precious few fixing lands that I did get early, so I felt forced to pick mediocre or off-plan things in my current lane.

What do you mean by “draft the hard way” early?

Do you remember if you were sitting next to Luke this draft? He gobbled up every piece of fixing he could get his hands on. I certainly limit the amount of fixing I run, because it fosters the type of environment I want to see, but you ended up with an unusually low amount of fixing.

Not having the ease to pivot from Orzhov to Gruul or from two colors to four colors, puts the pressure on you to find the ways your synergies pivot into adjacent guilds. Pivoting from an Orzhov core to Dimir or Azorius one should be fairly easy to do in this cube. If a drafter wants to prioritize the flexibility of fixing, they should be able to (if their upstream neighbor isn’t doing the same), but it should also come at a real cost. Keeping decks around 2-2.5 colors forces a greater variance in deck styles in my experience.

Interaction density/quality is something I perpetually struggle with. The synergies and combos in this cube are reasonably easy to disrupt so increasing interaction can choke out some of these strategies and axes. I knew I was doomed in our match, because of your combination of disruption and aggression…. my format is inspired by old extended meta games and deadguy ale has always been a fun police “fair” deck whether it was spectral lynx + vindicate or tidehollow sculler + thoughtseize. and you weren’t even running that much disruption.

Fwiw, the deadguy deck is one of the more fair/straightforward decks in this environment, but even it has some funkiness available to it with things like Scrapheap Scrounger, Tidehollow Sculler, and then a Cranial Plating.

On reflection of these three points, I think the most fun I had during the draft was discovering the cool pockets of synergy with just-barely-on-rate pieces (again, that Unearth/Priest/Sun Titan package). To be precise, I think the average rate for this cube is roughly Path to Exile (not Swords), Lightning Strike (not Bolt), Opt (not Ponder), or Sylvan Advocate (not Goyf), or Rankle (not Liliana). The coolest game pieces I interacted with during this draft were the game pieces that were just at or below that power level, because they let me explore a new format in a way that was more low-risk than venturing into bizarro combo territory, and still have a sense of discovery and of maximizing underappreciated game pieces. And, to be clear, I had a lot of fun doing that! My design criticisms are simply one perspective in an effort to give you constructive feedback, but the main takeaway for me is how much I want to make a cube where Priest of Fell Rites can be the star of the show, because I had a blast using it.

This quality is the bread and butter of the cube: using fair cards to do unfair things….bit players stealing the show. I’m glad that aspect of the cube translated for you.

The cube is an ever work in progress, and I appreciate the feedback. You always present something good to chew on. Even if I may disagree on some points, you make me reconsider my own position in a way that is super productive and challenging.

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator
I’m finally settled in enough for a belated response. I appreciate you taking the time to do such a thorough write-up. It’s a rare treat!
Congrats on your move, and the write-up is absolutely my pleasure :) how else will I fill my lunch hours at work?
The way I envision the cube now is that the foundation is a fairly approachable synergy cube with the cards guiding you through interactions and then there are the combo pieces that “unlock” the decks you’ve intuitively arrived at. Since the amount of singularly powerful cards has been reduced, it’s often about drafting cards that intrigue you, and then finding ways to make them better. It’s just a different draft mentality, and I think upon redrafts it would make a little more sense.
For sure, totally agree. As with many things in Magic, my writing was an attempt to extract meaningful conclusions from insignificant data. Totally agree that with more reps the format would become clearer from the analysis standpoint and more carefree from the drafter standpoint.
For instance, Ashnod’s Altar is a card that will often be taken in the last 5 cards of a pack. It provides no value on it’s own, is narrow and difficult to build around…it is more of a card that dials the power up on a card pool with an established gameplan. The cards that are more challenging to wrap your head around should make more sense the deeper into the draft you get….or they wheel and get regulated to sideboards. Which is fine, because you often have too many playables in cube, and you get three extra cards in the 3x16 draft format.
Haha, well then my P1P1 might have been a mistake in that case! I was thinking of Altar much like I might Yorion -- you either unlock amazing power by committing to the draft archetype (big deck) or you aren't able to play the card. But maybe I should have viewed the Altar more like an Sulfuric Vortex, where it's highly powerful in specific contexts, but also easily replaceable by slightly shifting one's gameplan.
I get the point you’re making, but I’m not sure it’s as big of an issue as it may seem after one draft. For instance W&6 + Wasteland would be a house in your cube, and is still good here, but is less oppressive as decks are typically two colors + light splash. There are a handful of cards that are power outliers in the cube, but they provide something (I consider) vital to the environment. They may occasionally lead to non-games, but the benefits outweigh the liabilities (imo). It’s the balancing act you go through when you don’t use customs and are waiting for the more perfectly appropriate card to be printed.
Sure -- I guess my main observation was that there's a gradient of power among the combo pieces of this cube. W6+Wasteland is probably the most powerful single example, then the efficient combos like Oath and stuff like Ephemerate+Solitude, then the Hogaak/Dredge stuff we witnessed, all the way to the janky Mindslaver loops or my Sun Titan thing. As a player trying to win, I want to be using the synergies as far up that list of "independently playable with strong floor" as possible.
What do you mean by “draft the hard way” early? Do you remember if you were sitting next to Luke this draft? He gobbled up every piece of fixing he could get his hands on. I certainly limit the amount of fixing I run, because it fosters the type of environment I want to see, but you ended up with an unusually low amount of fixing.
yeah, "draft the hard way" is what Chris said. Trying to stay open by picking flexible cards (like lands and high-quality removal).

I think I was sitting to Luke's left, which definitely hurt my ability to pivot haha.
Interaction density/quality is something I perpetually struggle with. The synergies and combos in this cube are reasonably easy to disrupt so increasing interaction can choke out some of these strategies and axes. I knew I was doomed in our match, because of your combination of disruption and aggression…. my format is inspired by old extended meta games and deadguy ale has always been a fun police “fair” deck whether it was spectral lynx + vindicate or tidehollow sculler + thoughtseize. and you weren’t even running that much disruption.
Reflecting on this now, I think my deck's interaction was a necessary-but-insufficient condition of the Spikey part of my brain having a good first-time draft. My inner Johnny was satisfied by my graveyard value loops, but Spike needed to feel like games were winnable. In other words, interaction provides a metagame force that is friendly to newbies because interaction inherently invalidates text on the opponent's cards, thereby reducing the minimum familiarity with the environment required to win, the board complexity of individual games, and so on.

To root this in my draft experience: I've played against only a few Oath decks in my life, and the Thoracle combos I've played have mostly been on Arena-legal formats. I'd never before experienced the way you combo'd off in G2, which was awesome, but if that had happened every game (ie, if I had no interaction) then I could see myself feeling clownish (kinda like the first time your opponent uses "layers" to give [[Inkmoth Nexus]] flying despite [[Colossus Hammer]]). Interaction allowed me to compensate accordingly, so that my game losses seemed due to my play errors, not my knowledge dearth.

(I could imagine the opposite situation -- a first-time drafter eagerly commits to the stated goal of the cube, then gets clowned by removal piles which ignore that stated goal. This probably depends on the drafter. But! 1- since this cube's shtick is "combo cube", I'd guess it's harder to lean into the designer's supported archetypes without knowing what you're doing; 2- the unfair nature of combo gives the drafter who trusts the cube an innate edge against midrange removal piles; 3- losing to removal piles is often filed under the psychological category of "wow they got so lucky/I got unlucky" instead of "I didn't know enough rules to win".)

This is all 20/20 hindsight here, and obviously speculative. But the reason I keep typing up long replies is because you keep inspiring me to examine these things more deeply :)
This quality is the bread and butter of the cube: using fair cards to do unfair things….bit players stealing the show. I’m glad that aspect of the cube translated for you.

The cube is an ever work in progress, and I appreciate the feedback. You always present something good to chew on. Even if I may disagree on some points, you make me reconsider my own position in a way that is super productive and challenging.
Thanks! And BTW I was totally serious about Priest of Fell Rites -- I've got a Lovecraft/"gumshoe detective" themed cube brewing that Priest will be perfect for. I'll make a new blog thread when I finish the first draft :)

Haha, well then my P1P1 might have been a mistake in that case! I was thinking of Altar much like I might Yorion -- you either unlock amazing power by committing to the draft archetype (big deck) or you aren't able to play the card. But maybe I should have viewed the Altar more like an Sulfuric Vortex, where it's highly powerful in specific contexts, but also easily replaceable by slightly shifting one's gameplan.

I think Altar demands even more of a deck build than vortex which really just wants you to be aggressive.....especially in this environment since you aren't sacrificing your team to drop Emrakul into play. Altar has always been a fringe include for my cube, and is on the chopping block, because it has such a narrow band of usefulness.

Reflecting on this now, I think my deck's interaction was a necessary-but-insufficient condition of the Spikey part of my brain having a good first-time draft. My inner Johnny was satisfied by my graveyard value loops, but Spike needed to feel like games were winnable. In other words, interaction provides a metagame force that is friendly to newbies because interaction inherently invalidates text on the opponent's cards, thereby reducing the minimum familiarity with the environment required to win, the board complexity of individual games, and so on.

This environment is not the typical combo cube as many of the combos are mostly explosive synergies rather than infinite mana and loops (although those do exist to some capacity). I see there being a few ways to be successful against "combos" in this environment:

- Be faster: Many of the combos need time to get going
- Be disruptive: The true combos in the cube are designed to be fairly fragile and susceptible to disruption
- Be crazier: Fight fire with fire. Do something more outrageous

Fast and disruptive paths are pretty accessible for those with little format experience.

Beyond that, it's who has built the more cohesive synergy pile: ones that connect subthemes in productive ways and operate on a consistent axis. Synergy piles typically have few singular bombs, multiple redundant pieces, and are often backed by recursion making disruption somewhat less valuable than it is against the proper combo decks.

To root this in my draft experience: I've played against only a few Oath decks in my life, and the Thoracle combos I've played have mostly been on Arena-legal formats. I'd never before experienced the way you combo'd off in G2, which was awesome, but if that had happened every game (ie, if I had no interaction) then I could see myself feeling clownish (kinda like the first time your opponent uses "layers" to give [[Inkmoth Nexus]] flying despite [[Colossus Hammer]]). Interaction allowed me to compensate accordingly, so that my game losses seemed due to my play errors, not my knowledge dearth.

For sure. My deck was a true glass cannon build. I had zero interaction, and could only win quickly when my opponent's had little disruption.

I try to limit the combos in the cube to ones that are vulnerable or demand a lot of a deck build to be successful. All of the right pieces landed into my lap, and I still completely rolled over to you in our match. My other matches often came down to a single turn. I think my opponent's felt they always had a chance which is really important. I don't want the privileged knowledge of the true combo archetypes in the cube to easily trump all other strategies.

(I could imagine the opposite situation -- a first-time drafter eagerly commits to the stated goal of the cube, then gets clowned by removal piles which ignore that stated goal. This probably depends on the drafter. But! 1- since this cube's shtick is "combo cube", I'd guess it's harder to lean into the designer's supported archetypes without knowing what you're doing; 2- the unfair nature of combo gives the drafter who trusts the cube an innate edge against midrange removal piles; 3- losing to removal piles is often filed under the psychological category of "wow they got so lucky/I got unlucky" instead of "I didn't know enough rules to win".)

I've never really considered how important trust is here, but it's pretty essential. The goal of this cube is to create an environment that encourages creativity and exploration, and trusting the cube is an important piece of that process. I minimize perceived design traps and false leads, maximize synergy overlaps and pivot opportunities....and while there are a handful of cards with the stain of historical associations (oath, sneak, etc), I make a point to tell my drafters that the "Emrakuls" don't exist in this cube. I guess in a way, the combos in the cube exist more as rewards for trusting the format.....they unlock the more unique and memorable sequences and are only really available if you "buy-in". You're not just walking into voltaic key + time vault here...you are combining several cogs to make a machine.

In theory, the draft process should feel like a choose your own adventure book....where drafters are presented with multiple appealing paths while not feeling the pressure, anxiety, and confusion of being a noob drafting a traditional combo cube. A cube draft is a real commitment of time, and it's nice to feel that you have space to go out on a limb with a crackpot idea and not have a miserable night. The flip side of that coin can be decision paralysis in the absence of obviously "correct" picks. This is something that has been brought up on these forums by folks like @TrainmasterGT and is something I've been trying to take into consideration lately.

I assume most people want their format to be unsolvable, but it's a priority for me. One of the reasons I obsess about variety of axes of play is that it makes things too complicated to have one correct approach (in my experience). An archetype/axis will feast one night, and be eaten alive the next. There can definitely be a rock<paper<scissors quality at times in the way different archetypes and axes match up, but cohesive builds and good play still go a long way towards success.

Last edited:
Some quick SNC swaps:

Out:

In:

These are fairly easy substitutions/upgrades. I'll miss the way Amalgam weaponizes the dredge deck, but there's only so much room.

I have a larger update percolating, but I'm not quite ready to commit to the changes. I find it helpful to visualize it here and get some outside input. The current draft of changes looks something like:

Out:

In:

Oskar makes me a lot more interested in the Dimir Discard Control deck. I simultaneously miss Haven and Archfiend, but also get slightly annoyed with their clunkiness. I've been missing the spells matters angle lately so I'm toying around with what that looks like in the 2022 GCC. Titan and Murktide feel a little iffy, and I could use a gut check on how they'd fit in my environment. Other than that, I'm looking to include some old favorites and cut some performance outliers.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Random thoughts, take what you like, ignore the rest:

Love your SNC swaps, huge addition to the cube IMO.

I like the spells matter cards coming back in as they are only 3 slots for a whole new take on tokens. Mentor and Saheeli are also open-ended meaning you can mix and match themes pretty easily.
Since you are adding this archetype back, have you considered swapping cards like Hieroglyphic Illumination out for a spell you actually cast (Hard Evidence?)

One thing I am noticing is that your Blue tempo decks are taking a hit. Cutting two powerful, evasive 3 drops is going to hurt, and while Murktide makes up for it somewhat it's less reliable to be cast at the same spot on the curve.
I am not a huge fan of Drake Haven in your higher power list. As you've said, it is clunky. It is nice that a newer player can latch onto it and get into the discard deck from there, but at the same time you hope it isn't a trap! I would probably keep the Bazaar Trader in there instead as a nod towards the UB discard deck.

Sad to see Firestorm leave, especially in the context of adding more discard matters payoffs. It's a really unique effect at such a low price point in the curve.

I am not sure what you are hoping Titan brings to the table. Your green top end is already kind of stacked, I could see this being pretty much anything else. Maybe even a Green Sun's Zenith that can be relevant early and late.

I like Priest of Forgotten Gods and Phyrexian Tower to power up the sacrifice decks. Although I am wondering if there isn't an argument to be made to keep the Ashnod's Altar and have a big mana sacrifice deck with those three cards as a base.

What are your thoughts on Showdown of the Skalds? I think it makes sense in a cube where you are bringing back spells matter and is welcome card advantage in Boros. It's obviously not great to have two 4 drops in the guild section, but the pickings are pretty slim in Boros.

All good comments! Thanks for the reply!

I like the spells matter cards coming back in as they are only 3 slots for a whole new take on tokens. Mentor and Saheeli are also open-ended meaning you can mix and match themes pretty easily.
Since you are adding this archetype back, have you considered swapping cards like Hieroglyphic Illumination out for a spell you actually cast (Hard Evidence?)

My issue with these cards is they want a cube structure optimized for spell velocity. My cube operates on a slightly different axis being so reliant on sacrifice, discard, and dredge for acceleration and value rather than casting spells in volume. I think the structural impact of bringing in these cards would be pretty significant, because I’m only interested in the top-end outcome of these cards. I would want you to be able to effectively go-off with them. I’m not ready to start tossing in things like Paradoxical Outcome and Manamorphose, Noxious Revival, etc to do so.

I am not a huge fan of Drake Haven in your higher power list. As you've said, it is clunky. It is nice that a newer player can latch onto it and get into the discard deck from there, but at the same time you hope it isn't a trap!

You’re right. It’s too clunky at this power level, and I’m constantly trying to increase my power level, not reduce.

I am not sure what you are hoping Titan brings to the table. Your green top end is already kind of stacked, I could see this being pretty much anything else. Maybe even a Green Sun's Zenith that can be relevant early and late.

It’s a stabilizer ramp/cheat piece. Greenwarden is as well to an extent, but the Titan has a bit more teeth to it. Rex is just a huge idiot that flies in for a lot of damage

I like Priest of Forgotten Gods and Phyrexian Tower to power up the sacrifice decks. Although I am wondering if there isn't an argument to be made to keep the Ashnod's Altar and have a big mana sacrifice deck with those three cards as a base.

This is a great observation. I agree.

What are your thoughts on Showdown of the Skalds? I think it makes sense in a cube where you are bringing back spells matter and is welcome card advantage in Boros. It's obviously not great to have two 4 drops in the guild section, but the pickings are pretty slim in Boros.

I like showdown and would consider it if I pursued the spell velocity angle more.

====

As I so often find myself doing, I’m tinkering around with another “higher powered” list. It feels promising. I’m testing some DFCs again, as well as previously deemed GCC “boogeymen”

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/2h6eb

More acceleration, dredge, sacrifice…just trying to do everything that the current physical cube does but with more juice.

Would appreciate any test drafts and observations.

Last edited:
just popping in to ask, do you enforce graveyard order mattering for phyrexian furnace? that feels like such a headache to track for one version of a relic/soul-guide effect!

just popping in to ask, do you enforce graveyard order mattering for phyrexian furnace? that feels like such a headache to track for one version of a relic/soul-guide effect!

I do. My playgroup has historically not had an issue with graveyard ordering. That may change now that I have moved and have to find new group of people to play with.

I avoid mass graveyard exiling as it is such an extreme hoser in this environment. The slow untargeted repeatable effect + single pinpoint exile is the ideal type of graveyard hate for me. I’m sure I’ll replace it someday, but I’m not satisfied with the current alternatives. Scrabbling Claws is perfect, but I don’t run multiples of cards.

I completely understand why people would avoid any cards like this, corpse dance, krovikan horror, and volrath’s shapeshifter

Drafted this fun take on the delve/discard control deck in the Higher Powered Draft. The Squee, Goblin Nabob + Master of Death combo with The Underworld Cookbook + Currency Converter + Bazaar of Baghdad is really scratching my Zombie Infestation itch. Having so many cost-reduced creatures alongside flash creatures leaves plenty of opportunities to keep your mana open for counterspells and the various mana sinks (sacrificing food, activate tasigur/converter, etc).

Delve Control

I love this deck.

It easily pivots into Dimir's more aggressive dredge deck or traditional reanimator deck. Decks like this make me see the value of bumping up the power level more. While the archetype is basically the same in my regular list as Tasigur and Bazaar are the only pieces not found in the lower powered list, both pieces provide a lot of punch and intrigue to the archetype. I've found that some of the supported archetypes in the regular list don't get drafted as often, because there's not a lot of gravity in the pool of cards. They can be completely viable and competitive, but less gravity often means drafters are pulled towards the archetypes with flashier card intersections.

The list still needs work. It's challenging to identify the cards with gravity that aren't black holes.....cards that no matter what strategy you are drafting in a color combination, will completely warp your plan around.

To take the above deck as an example...If Dimir has analogous synergy archetypes of:
Aggressive Dredge - Delve Control - Reanimator

Each of these archetypes overlaps one another and utilizes many of the same cards...you can easily pivot between these based on how the cards are falling for you. What I want to avoid are cards that will always push you into one of these archetypes over the others....thus drowning out all nuance to the decision making process. This is pretty subjective, and likely nonsense, but this is where this train of thought has led me.

A question on my mind: Is Grist, the Hunger Tide a black hole or a valuable pivot piece?

That is indeed a great looking deck.

I think Grist might be a tad too good stuff for your cube. It would probably take over the game or at least warp it enough that it would eclipse what other decks were doing.
It's a shame because it's interaction that has synergy with your themes: self-mill + sacrifice. I've been working on getting my interaction to be functional synergy pieces for decks because I believe that's how you can take your format to the next level, but it isn't easy. So I get the excitement for Grist!

One card that looks like it could do work in your format is:

It would be decent as a blocker early and a late game grindy engine that also discards cards for potential value. Looking at the SB from your Dimir deck you could pick any of the following:

Yawgmoth's Will
Shark Typhoon
Lethal Scheme
Retrofitter Foundry
Scrabbling Claws

That's a really decent spread of value, interaction and finishers!

That is indeed a great looking deck.

I think Grist might be a tad too good stuff for your cube. It would probably take over the game or at least warp it enough that it would eclipse what other decks were doing.
It's a shame because it's interaction that has synergy with your themes: self-mill + sacrifice. I've been working on getting my interaction to be functional synergy pieces for decks because I believe that's how you can take your format to the next level, but it isn't easy. So I get the excitement for Grist!

One card that looks like it could do work in your format is:

It would be decent as a blocker early and a late game grindy engine that also discards cards for potential value. Looking at the SB from your Dimir deck you could pick any of the following:

Yawgmoth's Will
Shark Typhoon
Lethal Scheme
Retrofitter Foundry
Scrabbling Claws

That's a really decent spread of value, interaction and finishers!

I ran Fae for a while when my cube was at a lower power level, but I never really considered it at higher power levels. You think it scales up fairly well? It’s a blast to play with…in a way it feels like an improved Mystical Teachings

You think it scales up fairly well?
I think so? It's heavily slanted towards more controlling decks that want the 1/4 body (which is huge), so you have to be willing to dedicate a slot to those decks.
What puts it over the top for me is that a bunch of discard matters payoffs have been printed recently to really incentivize you to use the ability if able.

I could see it replacing Phantasmal Image, which while highly playable, is more good stuff (and an ETB effect in Blue I guess for the Azorious Blink deck).

I'm close to finalizing another large update...I've played around with higher powered sketches for a few months now, and don't think I want to return to the power level of the current posted list.

One minor detail that I'm very happy with right now...

All of the Onslaught cycle lands are getting cut:

And the full suite of the channel lands added:

I'm not sure why I hadn't jumped on this change sooner. I was previously only running Boseiju and Eiganjo. The cycle lands don't really carry their weight at higher power levels, and the channel lands are much more playable for aggro while maintaining discard synergies and late game flexibility