Jason Waddell's Cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Jason, thoughts on Macabre Waltz?

It's uh... fine, I suppose, but I probably wouldn't play it in our aggro decks and it's hard to get value out of it in other decks until the late game. I don't think it has a strong home, and it isn't really serving enough of a purpose for me to be all that interested in dedicating a slot to it.

Is 3cc acceleration really playing well in your resource denying, wasteland happy, 1-2 cc spell centric world?

I'm not being critical, I'm just supes apprehensive when I start seeing a deck heading that direction.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Somehow it manages to work. I've 3 - 0'd with a couple GB decks filled with them, last week a GR Ramp deck went 2 - 1 using those spells.

Man did I ever play that guy in standard.

Ages ago I invented these cards so i could cube with haakon more readily. It's not like they weren't good with reanimator, madness or flashback cards either.

{1}{U}
Instant
Draw two cards then discard a card from your hand.

{2}{B}
Instant
Search target player's library for a card and put it into their graveyard.
Draw a card.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Man did I ever play that guy in standard.

Ages ago I invented these cards so i could cube with haakon more readily. It's not like they weren't good with reanimator, madness or flashback cards either.

{1}{U}
Instant
Draw two cards then discard a card from your hand.

{2}{B}
Instant
Search target player's library for a card and put it into their graveyard.
Draw a card.

I'm pondering a kinda "value looting" thing in my cube VIA flashback, gravecrawlers and madness.

Good thoughts on macabre waltz, some cards just don't work in practice. "Discard a card" is one of those downsides I could see adding on to a few cards for the above theme, but if the card they're stapled to isn't good, then people wont play it even if they are discarding lingering souls or roar of the wurm

Hahahhahaa I think Salvation had the same criticism of my posts. Which reminds me I have cards to post.

To be even more fair, waltz is an expensive raise dead with marginal conditional upside, while raise dead is in itself a card that is pretty circumstantial. I think awkward, circumstantial cards should cycle, and then I will like them.

CML

Contributor
Hahahhahaa I think Salvation had the same criticism of my posts. Which reminds me I have cards to post.

To be even more fair, waltz is an expensive raise dead with marginal conditional upside, while raise dead is in itself a card that is pretty circumstantial. I think awkward, circumstantial cards should cycle, and then I will like them.

'Criticism'? Cycling is the best Limited mechanic of all time, and the best draft format of all time had like, well, uh ... http://magiccards.info/query?q=o:draw+o:a+o:card+(e:di/en+or+e:gp/en+or+e:rav/en)&v=card&s=cname and this doesn't even count the 10 bouncelands

Maybe make a custom "decision Cube" :D