Sets Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I hate it
That is not Kamigawa
It may not the old feudal Kamigawa you loved, though, that doesn't mean this iteration of the set isn't Kamigawa though. I'm going to wait and see how the final product looks. Maybe we'll see some flavorful callbacks to the previous block! There might still be spirits, Nezumi (there are, there's one riding a motor bike in the art) and Orochi, Ogres and Demons, and all the other stuff that made me love Kamigawa. I'm optimistic!

I might be biased though. I fricking love the Shadowrun series, so this set is promising to me anyway so far :)

Yeah, I would rather have no Nezumi than getting one riding a motor bike. Or motor bikes on magics cards in general. Sorry, but to me this feels like butchering the world I used to love. If they make a world I don't like, like Kaladesh, I can mostly ignore it and happily leave it for the people who do. But this right there hurts my feelings.

You haven't seen any of it yet besides 3 or 4 promo pictures. Please leave the pessimism for after spoilers, because I can't count the times you go in "hating" a set, and come out lukewarm or liking it after seeing half the cards.

You haven't seen any of it yet besides 3 or 4 promo pictures. Please leave the pessimism for after spoilers, because I can't count the times you go in "hating" a set, and come out lukewarm or liking it after seeing half the cards.
Now, now, let Ravnic have their little ritual.
;)

BTW this set does take place in the "modern day" of the MTG timeline, (~4560AR), at least according to the MTG wiki.

It doesn't happen 1200 years in the MTG current timeline future, is what I'm saying. The original Kamigawa block took place in the past.

Okay, sorry, but that is some serious bullshit right here. Sho me one post where I've been reacting like this to a set before. Even before seeing the cards or afterwards. Sure, I am skeptical sometimes early when after revealing the mechanics nothing really seems to interest me. But I have never felt towards a new set like this before and I have thus never reacted like this.

But here, we have a totally different case. And I have a hard time imagining a Kamigawa that feels like Kamigawa after seeing those pictures, that may be few but clearly were chosen to give an impression of the world we'll be visiting.

It's also not exactly nice to condescend someone for expressing their opinion/emotions.

Multiple sets have started with variants of disappointment and dislike from you. Have they all used the exact phrase "i hate this"? No, but the pessimism is palpable on spoiler seasons. I wouldn't have made the post if this was the first time.

I have literally made callouts on blanket pessimism in spoiler seasons before: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/khm-kaldheim-official-previews.3196/page-6#post-95528

AND I wasn't the only person to do it that very same thread: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/khm-kaldheim-official-previews.3196/page-6#post-95502

Have whatever opinions you want, but openly expressing hatred at this stage is like saying you hate a piece of artwork after the first 4 brushstrokes.

…But here, we have a totally different case. And I have a hard time imagining a Kamigawa that feels like Kamigawa after seeing those pictures, that may be few but clearly were chosen to give an impression of the world we'll be visiting…

I get what you mean.

Maybe this is what Wizards was going for though: A plane we revisit a thousand years later to see how it has changed SUPER much but still have some resemblence to the past plane?

so i can’t blame anyone for saying “hey, i liked this version of (insert plane here), but the new version coming out, i don’t like.”
that’s perfectly reasonable.
i would give you a little encouragement though, @ravnic : if we assume that, as they have with other planes, WOTC will continue to revisit kamigawa as long as the sets sell, there is always a nonzero chance that we revisit kamigawa AGAIN in YET ANOTHER time period, or the original time period, later on. for example, imagine Taiko Period Kamigawa? going WAY back for Pre-Shogunate Kamigawa? there are several good possibilities that are as likely as not to happen later.

The Wanderer art looks sick, hope that's actually the art on the card (even though I know it won't be, RIP).

Can't find it atm, but Maro's said that about half of the cards will be leaning on the more "neon" side of the aesthetic and the other half will look/feel more traditional Kamigawa. I hope this makes a difference to folks who wanted a true follow-up to the Kamigawa from ~15 years ago.

I'm really excited for this set, Neon Dynasty and Capenna look like they are going to be standouts from a flavor perspective. I hope they are closer to Strixhaven or Midnight Hunt in terms of card quality as opposed to Crimson Vow, AFR, or Kaldheim, I really want to utilize cards from these sets in my Cube.

I can't understand the hate for this set. It looks aesthetically pretty similar to the original Kamigawa, just more colorful and with steel buildings. I get the vibe of the cities is a bit different than the feudal land from the original world, but WOTC has confirmed multiple times now that the feudal side of Kamigawa still exists on the world in several places. It sounds like we're getting the best of both themes.

For example, imagine Taiko Period Kamigawa? going WAY back for Pre-Shogunate Kamigawa? there are several good possibilities that are as likely as not to happen later.
Personally I'd like to see Meiji era Kamigawa at some point.

Bring on the Heisei/Showa-era sentai shows. Morph, megazord vehicles, transforming robots, robots that combine into bigger robots, Delver of Secrets that transforms into Kamen Rider, and mutate/monstrous for the monster of the week.

Bring back IKORIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (Done well with mutating monster that keep growing in size and companion cards that are balanced)