Sets [KLD] Kaladesh Spoilers Thread

Yeah that's a great point. Jason definitely should include it in the E Domain cube.

Now that I think about it, this probably only needs to go off once to be fully paid for. Looking at similar effects:

4 mana for thus sort of effect, and any type of castable card, seems perfectly powerful on its own. Once you start getting to 2, 3 activations it's probably pretty bonkers.

Reactions: yan
The difficulty is that See the Unwritten/Summoning Trap give you the creature right away, while the new card is more like a four mana suspend. I think you need to be using it as some kind of engine before it's worth cubing with. I wonder if this is something that can help push a "big sorceries" theme of some kind alongside Mizzix Mastery. We already have lots of effects that are good at cheating out creatures; effects that can cast big spells cheaply are fairly rare. Wildfire is one such big sorcery that is good both at fueling and casting off of Aetherworks Marvel.

I think the fact that you don't get it for a little bit is ok. 4 mana is a much easier initial investment than 6, and casting non creature spells is a big upside.

Do like the thought that it helps the big spell deck. Wonder what sorta sac engine can be set up to help this puppy out? Evolutionary Leap comes to mind, and is a similar advantage piece. More incentive to run Sylvan Safe keeper too.

I think the fact that you don't get it for a little bit is ok. 4 mana is a much easier initial investment than 6, and casting non creature spells is a big upside.

Do like the thought that it helps the big spell deck. Wonder what sorta sac engine can be set up to help this puppy out? Evolutionary Leap comes to mind, and is a similar advantage piece. More incentive to run Sylvan Safe keeper too.

If you play Scapeshift with 6 lands out you get enough energy to activate the Marvel and take about 2/3rds of the lands out of your deck, which is probably enough to make an impact on the cards you see on activation and with 17 lands guarantees that you'll see one castable card.

I can see Aetherworks Marvel slotting into a tokens deck that tries to abuse the following. It vaguely reminds me of the goofy Polymorph + Emrakul, the Aeons Torn token deck tech.

This is also seems good with some land themed cards.

Ooo. :) Tempting to add Reveillark and Safi to enable this combo. I've already had both of them as potential includes.

You can also go for the classic Sac outlet + Kitchen Finks + anafenza, with the end result of infinite life and all of the nonlands in your deck cast. Nice! This seems like a really cool card. Ill have to explore it further in my format.

Ooo. :) Tempting to add Reveillark and Safi to enable this combo. I've already had both of them as potential includes.

You can also go for the classic Sac outlet + Kitchen Finks + anafenza, with the end result of infinite life and all of the nonlands in your deck cast. Nice! This seems like a really cool card. Ill have to explore it further in my format.

I was kind of down on the card at first but I've really come to appreciate it. Since it's colorless it can slot into a bunch of things and augment what they were going to do anyways but kind also kind of serve a build around too. It's rare for a card to slot into as many different decks with so many different color identities that the Marvel seems to able to. Jeskai tokens with goblin bombardment, Abzan graveyard combos, green land decks, Smokestacks and Braids deck. Such a versatile card.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno, I think we'll have to see it in play to get an appreciation for it. One of the biggest things I learned is that ramp decks already have to tool around with their proportions to get things functioning properly. Saving 2 mana likely isn't worth the hoop of having to have 6 things hit the bin.

Don't get me wrong, I love the card, and it's probably really cool in Kaladesh, but I'd have to see it in play before drawing any E Domain conclusions.

Kaladesh looks perfect for grid-drafting though.

Looks like Kaladesh cards are now in the database for images. What are you guys looking at adding on first glance? I've got these:

I'm super hyped to play Limited for this set because it's shaping up to be one of the most intricate we've had in a while with energy as a mechanic, but I just don't think there's enough a density of energy cards to stick into my cube yet. I'll hold off on it until next set and see what happens. The self-contained energy cards like the mythic demon are cool, but there's just so much text on that and introduces a new resource to the game without necessary support.

After watching part of the LoadingReadyRun Pre-Prelease, I'm very excited to try out vehicles. I like it when boardstates are interactive with a lot of potentially wonky combat steps and vehicles do a great job of creating multiple lines of play on both offense and defense.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
really wanted the pia to be good but i think thopter engineer is a bit more useful

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think about that situation. My gut says "run both", but there are a lot of interesting things going on at that casting cost so I'm not sure if that's feasible. I've been playing This guy at 1R with the trigger switched to dies to put an on theme card in the two slot, but maybe sticking with the original wording as a 1R 1/1 is a better direction to go in.

What do we think about

?

I typically am really not-for blink, but at 3 mana (+ cantrip), I think this might be about where I'd want that effect at. Thoughts from you lovely folk (some of which are more blink-friendly, and less blink-friendly than me)?

I'm slowly coming to the realization that blink has sort of become a feast or famine effect I think.

In the past, I was very much a fan of the archetype. But with so much of the creature pool moving towards ETB value design, it has just become oppressive. You don't build a blink deck so much as you just exploit the effect in decks which would run those creatures anyway. At which point, I'm not sure it's even an archetype anymore than "run a bunch of removal" is an archetype.

That said, I still like the synergy and would hate to completely gut that effect. My favorite standalone card like this is still Momentary Blink though. I think because you can discard it and get value later or you can trigger it twice in the same turn, making it feel more combo oriented (and like you built a deck that does this specifically). That card posted above seems super playable in the average list though, so I'm sure it's fine. But I'm not really looking to add more value to a generic value mechanic. If anything, I want my blink enablers to feel more narrow so you don't just feel like there's no cost in running them.

I really like the card. I mean, I run shelter, and this is basically the same principle. Draw a card attached to a one-shot effect.

I agree on basically all of the above from ahadabans too. Recently took out resto to tone down the effect. Blink would be more of an archetype if the ETB effects were fewer, where it would be an actual deck axis with drafting restraints etc. etc. For me its more of a sign/line anchor for UW fliers/agro/spells.

Also love Momentary Blink. Flashback is so great

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So I have been avoiding spoilers for this set, just so I can play it with fresh eyes and just have a more fun time with surprises. So keen-eyed and bushy-tailed I go in and bust some packs, and build this:

It seems like a strange format when so many of my 2 and 3 drops have 3 power. I am just too used to those drops having 2-power. All those extra powers add up and put the opponents on a real quick clock. Vehicles play much better than they look and probably should have played my Ballista Charger for more top end. Went 3-1, speed killing everyone until the finals, where I couldn't beat him down before the Skysovereign, Consul Flagship and Noxious Gearhulk shut me down.

Card hits:
  • Smuggler's Copter is absolutely nuts. Attacking for 3 in the air from turn 3 onwards and looting is so powerful. I don't think I lost a game where this came down on turn 2.
  • Dhund Operative and Embraal Bruiser are both great two drops in this set and really put on the clock.
  • Scrapheap Scrounger seems like a good constructed card. I used to like Despoiler of Souls and this just puts that card to shame. Shall be another piece to my potential all-in bears standard deck. It is probably cube playable, and will possibly give it a shot.
  • Key to the City did some real work. I mainly just used it as a terrible looter but it helped squeak through damage when I needed to. Would pick highly in normal draft.
  • Longtusk Cub kept confusing me. I always intuitively thought that it's energy trigger was EtB as 80% of the others are as well (having two Thriving Rhino in my deck didn't help).
  • Cultivator of Blades is a sweet limited bomb. I never got the servo's from it, but I can see some instances where that would be handy to have. Having your entire army get +3/+3 is just better though :p
Going to a second pre-release today. Hopefully I do just as well. Not expecting to make my money back like I did with this one (That Mind's Eye... How could I not play it?), just looking to see what else this set has to offer. It seems pretty fun so far.

What do we think about

?

I typically am really not-for blink, but at 3 mana (+ cantrip), I think this might be about where I'd want that effect at. Thoughts from you lovely folk (some of which are more blink-friendly, and less blink-friendly than me)?
I'm intrigued, but I want to play with it first. I'm also sympathetic to Ahadabans's arguments about blink, and I'm considering cutting a lot of it from my cube. Maybe something along this power level is more acceptable than, say Galepowder Mage or Crystal Shard.

Opened Dovin Baan and two cloudblazers, went 3-0, found an invention Hangarback Walker in a prize pack
main-qimg-493968e878889ae5dd7927881e87275f-c

I went 2-2 last night with a BWu deck without any real bombs. First two rounds were grindy, then I got smacked by better versions of my deck with actual bombs in the final two rounds. Didn't really open anything value and the deck wasn't all that memorable, still fun though. I think this will be a much better draft set than sealed, too many buildarounds.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Thus the second pre-release has come to a close and while I didn't get as much gas as the last one (that would be quite hard) I still got to be aggressive and inflict some glorious pain.

Get ready folks to START YOUR ENGINES!!!

So when looking at my mediocre sealed pool I noticed the 4 and 3 of's. Knew that Skysovereign was my only bomb and built a deck around them. Looks like a mediocre draft deck, but then again, that is better than a sealed deck right? :p

Ended up going 3-1, surprisingly. Only saw the Skysovereign in one game (last round game 2). Lost to GW in a tight 3 games in round 3. Did what I could with mediocre cards, but it is hard to combat against Nissa :(

Card Hits:
  • Salivating Gremlins obviously did the most damage for me throughout the games. The trample was surprisingly relevant on it. Iron League Steed was the best turn 4 curve to give the Gremlins +4/+0.
  • Aradara Express seemed to be the card of the tournament. Everyone had horror stories about the train. It is a surprisingly strong common and any combat trick on it (especially trample) just blows people right out.
  • Speaking of which, menace is really coming into it's own as a mechanic. Having Giant Spectacle, Weldfast Monitor and the train along with the two Built to Smash led to sooooooo many blowouts it wasn't funny.
  • START YOUR ENGINES only works if you yell it out like a NASCAR commentator (true fact) (It was a pretty good trumpet blast variant).
  • Incendiary Sabotage probably wasn't meant for this deck as nothing can really survive it. It still got me some 4 for 3 trades but I was struggling for removal and it was all I had.
  • Workshop Assistant was mediocre. But that was what I expected. It allowed for stalling on the ground (looping 2) until I could find something to help push through.
  • Built To Smash is surprisingly strong for a combat trick. I guess they could add the trample rider because it can only be put on attacking creatures, but man, this just punched through damage, killed creatures and let mine live. Did everything I wanted and more. I wouldn't want to play against this in draft seems scary if someone gets 3+.
  • Cataclysmic Gearhulk was pretty mediocre. It got played against me twice and made us both lose one terrible creature each. Seemed like a bomb. Wasn't really impressed.
I agree with Shamizy that this format looks better to draft due to the amount of build arounds. Really keen to give it a whirl. Imagine something like this deck just with more Reckless Fireweavers; would be a blast to play.