Sets (LCI & REX) Lost Caverns of Ixalan and Jurassic Park spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
View attachment 8957

Whenever you attack, you may discard a card. When you do, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. That creature gains trample until end of turn.
Whenever you discard one or more cards, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card until your next end step.

I think it might be too good for me, sadly, with the second effect on top, but damn that's a great aggro madness card.
I'm interested and I DON'T run madness, so I think this card might be dangerous :p

That being said, if you want to make something powerful, the non-wild mongrel madness colors are probably a nice place.

helpinghand.jpg

It doesn't cycle like Unearth and it comes back tapped unlike Unearth, but one mana's still a great rate for that effect.
I genuinely think this is one of the best cards in the set. I'll take three.

I think actual factual Unearth is probably a little too good for where they want Standard and Pioneer to be. Honestly, I'm surprised they pushed it this far. It wasn't that long ago that this effect in Standard was priced at three mana (Patch Up, Call of the Death-Dweller). This is a welcome change!
Returning one creature versus multiple is not something that should be swept under the rug (let alone with bonus counters). Unearth is only one return, your examples are multiple return. Something with apples and pears.

I am known for playing low powered. I think returning one creature with cmc 3 or less is really conditional and deserves a bailout later on (e.g., cycling or kicker). This card as is, is not worth it. No cycling and the creature enters tapped. Trust me, the victimise clause (tapped) hurts as hell.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Returning one creature versus multiple is not something that should be swept under the rug (let alone with bonus counters). Unearth is only one return, your examples are multiple return. Something with apples and pears.

I am known for playing low powered. I think returning one creature with cmc 3 or less is really conditional and deserves a bailout later on (e.g., cycling or kicker). This card as is, is not worth it. No cycling and the creature enters tapped. Trust me, the victimise clause (tapped) hurts as hell.
I actually agree here. I want to like the card, but I think even Return Triumphant is better, despite being a mana more expensive, and it's very far removed from Unearth in power level.

I think I'm probably still on Recommission, especially because it helps get back a lot of the artifact synergy pieces in graveyard decks that somehow wind up in the graveyard and screw me over by not otherwise being recoverable (yes I'm looking at you, Crucible). But this is a nice option and hopefully marks the prelude to something like a colour-shifted Unearth in MH3.

Is the cycling really that big on earth?
I say as someone who doesn't really like either white or black version, fwiw
Yes, as big as a disenchant with cycling. Unearth either has to broaden it's scope, e.g., add artifact, or it needs to be recyclable, e.g. cycling. In my low powered cube, it is the cycling which saves it.

Edit : or sidestep it with more options like artifact /enchantments.

I agree that the difference between being able to return multiple creatures over one creature is a real difference, although if you're trying to reanimate something that costs three mana like, say, Monastery Mentor, you really are just paying 3 times the cost for minimal benefit. This is definitely Honey Crisp to Granny Smith's situation instead of apples to oranges.

I think it really depends on what you're bringing back. In a low-power context, basically anything you're reanimating that costs three or fewer mana is going to be pretty bad. Cards like Bloated Toad, Dromosaur, and Phyrexian Broodlings are all fine in the context of low power but are never things you'd actually want to dedicate your deck to reanimating. By contrast, higher power targets like Dreadhorde Arcanist, Segdemoor Witch, Tireless Tracker, and the aforementioned Monastery Mentor are all cards you'd be happy to build around reanimating, even if they're entering tapped.

This new card is definitely worse than unearth, but I don't think it's unplayably worse. The main functionality of the card has remained intact.

Hey let me just interrupt our regularly scheduled analysis for a brief Vorthos freak-out: Master's Manufactory mentions "the Fomori" in its flavor text. If I'm not mistaken, this is a species of giants originally encountered on Dominaria. So, what's the deal with this? Did they get blasted through some kind of planar portal a thousand years ago?

(Also, I want to run this card in my cube but it costs like 500 mana. Seems like Glassdust Hulk would be a better option a lot of the time.)

1698442457475.png

That is a slam dunk for me. Fetched? Get a treasure. Discarded some permanent? Get a treasure. Sacrificed a dude? Get a treasure. Sacrificed an artifact? Here is a replacement. It's fine in aggro, synergizes with madness, sacrifice, artifacts and even wildfire in multiple ways, yet it is a simple elegant design.

View attachment 8969

That is a slam dunk for me. Fetched? Get a treasure. Discarded some permanent? Get a treasure. Sacrificed a dude? Get a treasure. Sacrificed an artifact? Here is a replacement. It's fine in aggro, synergizes with madness, sacrifice, artifacts and even wildfire in multiple ways, yet it is a simple elegant design.
Love love love the Scallywag. Between this and Inti, Sun's Caretaker, I'm in shock. This set is unbelievably good for red 2s. When I first saw Inti, I thought "oh, is this finally Red's long-awaited iconic 2-drop creature?" forgetting the last 7 years of Young Pyromancer dominance by the end of the card.

Restless-Vents-borderless-LCI-672.jpg
Incredibly good manland. Not sure I'll run it, even though it's got a loot on it (!) because I really want my RB lands to enter untapped and I like Mount Doom for the 7th slot in my list. Neat art too.

Scytheclaw-Raptor-LCI-672.jpg
I'm a fan. Red 3s have become one of my most competitive slots, but my players will demand this as playable anti-counter tech...even if the increased volume of 2MV 3/1s will eat this thing for breakfast.

kitesaillarcenist.jpg
Don't love the multiplayer wording that adds like 20 words to the card, but this is basically a blue Banisher Priest that gets around my issue with that suite of cards: it's really hard to take advantage of the fact that they're creatures. This one can attack really well, and the Ward 1 is not quite trinket text. Will make the on-deck binder at the very least.

brasstunnelgrinder.jpgtecutlanthesearingrift.jpg
I've loved Valakut Awakening and was really interested in Into the Fire but this does the thing I had wished it had done (discard>>>put on the bottom of library) and then some. It's obscenely strong on the backend, which I don't like because it's not clear to drafters who are just looking at it without memorizing 20k unique cards, but since the main play is mainly the front side, I might be willing to overlook it.

ojerpakpatiqdeepestepoch.jpgtempleofcyclicaltime.jpg
Neat! Looks like the kind of card I'd very reasonably find a place in my cube for and then it would never get played and I wouldn't understand why.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
View attachment 8969

Descended does call out permanent cards, so you can't sac your treasure to get a new treasure at eot.
Sick card though!

Dowsing-Device-LCI-672.jpg
Geode-Grotto-LCI-672.jpg

Four artifacts is probably a lot (think metalcraft) but this is a sick land

Last edited:
I agree that the difference between being able to return multiple creatures over one creature is a real difference, although if you're trying to reanimate something that costs three mana like, say, Monastery Mentor, you really are just paying 3 times the cost for minimal benefit. This is definitely Honey Crisp to Granny Smith's situation instead of apples to oranges.

I think it really depends on what you're bringing back. In a low-power context, basically anything you're reanimating that costs three or fewer mana is going to be pretty bad. Cards like Bloated Toad, Dromosaur, and Phyrexian Broodlings are all fine in the context of low power but are never things you'd actually want to dedicate your deck to reanimating. By contrast, higher power targets like Dreadhorde Arcanist, Segdemoor Witch, Tireless Tracker, and the aforementioned Monastery Mentor are all cards you'd be happy to build around reanimating, even if they're entering tapped.

This new card is definitely worse than unearth, but I don't think it's unplayably worse. The main functionality of the card has remained intact.
If all your targets are three mana creatures then yes there is a lot of trinket text. Still, returning multiple creatures is really different. Let alone the entering tapped, that sucks really hard. The tapped clause after victimising lost me the game around half of the times (and yes it was the best I could do).
Indeed, in my cube one unearth cards like

Yes, mom is an outlier. But she also shows that the multiple returns are indeed apples and oranges. Besides, if the opponents cards are similarly low powered then the enchantress could be a good enough card to return.

In my cube the power grows with the cmc of the card as opposed to the new cards. This implies that on turn 7 or 8 it is possible that unearth has a target in the yard but that the target does nothing against e.g.,

And yes, mom does not do much on her own against the wurm.

When I first saw Inti, I thought "oh, is this finally Red's long-awaited iconic 2-drop creature?" forgetting the last 7 years of Young Pyromancer dominance by the end of the card.
It's one of those shock moments where you realize you are older than you think you are.
Young Pyromancer has actually been with us for 10+ years now :p

First printed in M14 which released on 2013-07-19.
Shocking I know!

Last edited: