Sets (LCI & REX) Lost Caverns of Ixalan and Jurassic Park spoilers

oh my god is it really, holy shit rank 21 in the last 2 years, what on earth okay yeah it's just a giant Dinosaur tribal moron I'm okay with this but I would have preferred to not learn it this way all things considered :p
It'll likely move up with the release of new dinos, too. Timmy gonna Timmy.

OK, so story-wise he's apparently just a really old spirit who doesn't remember his name... but I think it's funnier if you take the name literally and he's just some random grandpa that's legendary for some reason. :p
So the lore is that he forgot his own name (dumbass???) and happened to name himself Grandpa in a language he's unaware of. Hopefully Commander players will proxy him with pictures of their grandfathers as the art. Or I might. :p

I wasn't expecting this set to be absolutely stuffed with cards for Welder's Workshop. But between the Map tokens, Descend, and Craft, half the mechanics in the set are practically custom-designed for my environment, and that's to say nothing of the incidentally great cards like The Skullspore Nexus.

Does Jadelight Spelunker just kick Jadelight Ranger out of most cubes? The flexibility seems MUCH more valuable than 1 point of power.

Jadelight Ranger hasn't been great for a hot minute, although I think if you're trying to do an Explore theme in a Cube you just play all of the Green Explore Merfolk:

tumblr_ok1s3hiPqE1r5a08so4_r1_400.gif

Screen Shot 2023-10-25 at 9.02.56 AM.png

I really like this design and think it's a pretty ideal form of this type of big artifact creature they've made a few times (even if it's not as delightfully silly as the Myr Katamari). I'd probably be Cubing it if it cost 6.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, it is almost impossible to tell rarity by looking at the set symbol for this set. That's the first time ever the heinous holo foil stamp is doing some good.
It's really hard to tell the rarities apart, but if you can see proper eye-white, it's a common. I can't help you with the uncs, rares, and mythics.

I think we're getting a cycle of common Dinosaurs with typecycling!
I'm sorry, but I can't go back to 2-mana landcycling now that Lórien Revealed and friends exist XD

View attachment 8941
Oh hey new brain maggot! I always felt the biggest flaw of these cards is how irrelevant the body is so quickly, but flying helps that a lot.
Hitting anything I think is a nice sidegrade over freebooter
Kitesail Freebooter's body always was a lot better than Brain Maggot's, and I'm still cubing both. Maggot is nice for delirium though, and it hits more. Hmm... On second thought, this should probably replace Kitesail Freebooter :)