General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Thank's guys, I'm leaning towards Mizzix's Mastery. Seems like a nice recursion/finisher in one. Only problem, this would probably still flashback a kill spell of sorts in 9/10 cases, but eh ... :D

Problem with all the sweet enchantments and artifacts is, that I have to keep the count up of instant and sorceries for the spells matter guys in red :)

i dismissed that card at first but it does seem like a playable oracle mul daya + phyrexian arena hybrid

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
When I tried to include monarch cards, multiple players in my group objected after experiencing it in Conspiracy and in chaos drafts. I still don't get quite why, but according to them the mechanic plays really poorly in 1 vs 1, that is to say, it's unbalancing. I opted to not try them out then, so I have no experience with the Queen Marchesa I already bought...

I do think Mathas, Fiend Seeker looks sweet, and Zurgo Helmsmasher is a beast. I also kinda love Fervent Charge, and Butcher of the Horde is a sweet payoff for an aristocrats deck.

I think Mathas, Fiend Seeker looks sweet too. The fact that the bonus effect is everlasting is quite important if you ask me.

Zurgo Helmsmasher offers nothing to a cube if you ask me.

Fervent Charge (have never seen this card before and I have played the game non-stop for twenty years) looks like a payoff card for go-wide token strategies. Sadly it is not white, green, black, white-black, white-green, black-green or white-black-green. I do not run a token theme in red but it is a cool suggestion!

Butcher of the Horde also seems to be off-color for me. I run Aristocrats in black-red-green. But not in white. I might give it a shot anyways.

Those are some nice suggestions.

Isn’t it super, super boring? :)

Diabolic Edict that is 50 % more costly and 200 % more colorful ;)

And then you also deal 2 damage. And he can’t sacrifice the small token.

I remember when it came out. That art and name had me hyped for a few seconds until I was finished reading the text.

I want something that makes a theme come together and also tempts the player into splashing a third color.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, that's my problem with it for cube. In the end it's just an edict effect for their largest threat that deals some additional damage to the face. I.e., in the end it's just a removal spell, simply not that exciting for a three color card.

I run Muldrotha and I know that I probably shouldn't with stuff like Path in my format, but the card is too sweet to pass up. I think I'm trying to gradually shift towards an environment with less ETB value and removal insurance (with scaled down removal to compensate), so I think she'll shine there.

I run Muldrotha and I know that I probably shouldn't with stuff like Path in my format, but the card is too sweet to pass up. I think I'm trying to gradually shift towards an environment with less ETB value and removal insurance (with scaled down removal to compensate), so I think she'll shine there.

How many Path effects/how efficient Path effects do you think a format wants before cards like Muldrotha, the Gravetide becomes obsolete? Or the other way round: How inefficient and rare should the exile effects be before we can run Muldrotha?

That's a difficult milestone to figure out. Tapping out for a 6 mana creature feels pretty awful when there are efficient 1 or 2 mana answers that most decks can run. I think if most of your removal is around Murder-tier or slightly worse, she starts to feel like a premium threat. Going off of standard, Vraska's Contempt is an answer that doesn't feel too bad, because 4 mana is the majority of your turn, that's probably around where I would place the exile effects? I believe there are articles/posts written somewhere about the "Baneslayer test" being a good metric for a healthy standard format? Where threats are untap-checks, essentially, and the removal player gets to remain at parity if they have an answer quickly and not immediately fall behind on ETB.

Edit: found a reddit thread with Sullivan talking about the baneslayer test. https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/5njjbb/patrick_sullivans_baneslayer_angel_test_for_a/

What reasons do I have to draft white if there isn't going to be a density of exile to deal with problem permanents? I'd rather be drafting the yawgmoths will on a stick