General "Looking for a card"-Thread

I just want to add, that 1-mana ramp dorks do fit ower power levels. As japahn already stated, power level is not a number, so you can balance the whole cube in a way, that these won't lead to overpowered stuff. I run BoP, Llanowar Elves, Arbor Elf, Boreal Druid, Wild Growth and Utopia Sprawl, despite my pretty low power level. The idea is, that these won't harm the environment when they ramp into Ondu Giant instead of Garruk Wildspeaker and then into Rhox instead of Carnage Tyrant or whatever broken 6-drops kids run these days.

That being said, I don't think they scale 100% completely with the environment, as it is important how quickly other decks can add to the board.

Black has probably the worst combat tricks, I think I like these:

though they are half removal spell.

The best ones I can think of that aren't removal spells are:

I'd specifically prefer one that isn't a plain removal, as my black section is already good on that.

Supernatural Stamina was also the first one I thought about. This can at least be card avantageous with EtB creatures.

The best ones I can think of that aren't removal spells are:

But are any of those really better than Stamina?

Yeah stamina is great...fun with the fight mechanic and especially nice with some powers matters payoffs to give it some extra play:

Oh yeah, that's another nice way of utilizing it :)
Some other non-EtB creatures synergizing with it in my cube are:

Basically all death triggers, obviously.
However, I think at it's best it will be in the ninjutsu decks, where you can attack recklessly with your little EtB guys. Wether you have a ninja or the stamina in hand is for your opponent to figure out!

I'm a big fan of both Stamina and Lash of Malice in lower power environments, although seeing as you already run Malakir Rebirth I think Lash will potentially be more unique

I can recommend Peek and Portent as well. I like Peek a little more gameplay wise, as fatesealing can be annoying and instant speed offers more flexibility and synergy.

Do the cantrips have to be blue?

These are really good if combat is an important thing in your cube, but probably not power max good

Out of curiosity, how would you define power max
Within the restraints of your supported themes/archetypes, you're always chosing the best options available. There might be restrictions that change things of course, like "no p9", but unless we're having larger restrictions like "only comons", I'd call a cube max power. Just for communication, mot to scoff at the approach of course.

In this specific case, I don't think they belong in a cube with StP level removal and Splintertwin combo.

I want to find some high-power 1 and 2 mana cantrips other than the usual suspects (Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Omen of the Sea, etc.). If you have an explanation as to why you like them that would be great.

sleight of hand, opt, peek, portent, sorcerous sight, serum visions, abundant harvest, once upon a time, mental note, thought scour, gitaxian probe, mana morphine, quicken, abundant growth, arcums astrolabe, oath of Nissa, unbridled growth, explore, growth spiral, shadow of doubt, light up the stage, faithless looting, expressive iteration, coiling oracle, ice fang coatl, baleful strix, urzas bauble, mishras bauble, chromatic star, chromatic sphere, cling to dust, sense is divining top, horizon lands, fire//ice, gush, nights whisper, sign in blood.

I think these are all the ones I run?

starting work on a lower powered cube inspired by riptidian design philosophies, so for those with fairly low powered environments, what are your favourite izzet spells cards?

This might seem odd but both spells matters and this card tend to want to play lots of spells in a turn. And Jori En just supports that in a very neat way.

On the other hand there would be Adeliz, the cinder wind which I only thought of because of the overlap between wizards and spells matters. Both have been quite good in my low power environment that accidentally runs a lot of wizards.

In a more traditional frame: