General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oeh, Malakir Rebirth looks neat. I think I used to have Angelic Renewal in Eldrazi Domain, then cut it and forgot the card existed.

Looking for other cards in the vein of:

That intersect vertical and horizontal growth. Preferably White or Colorless. No convoke. Medium+ power.

Reactions: dbs
I'm assuming cathars' crusade would also be a bit above the power level you want?

It's not necessarily better than Pennon Blade, but there is also

I've always considered crusade fairly low powered. It's a 5 cmc card that doesn't immediately impact the board, and requires more from you to get any value out of it. It's obviously batty if you can get it online. I've seen in employed to good use in some environments (whydirt’s cube comes to mind), but I don't think it's a good fit for my cube.

I think Mace is worse than Pennon Blade which is not good.

Sorry, I'm super picky :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: dbs
I like Geist-Honored Monk, completely forgot about that one

Jazal is interesting. 4/4 first strike is better than pretty much everything else in my cube at 4cmc so the floor is good.

How is Elder of Laurels? I remember it being bonkers in ISD draft. Is it still good in Cube, or is it mostly too inefficient when played alongside, say, an Oran-Rief Ooze or even a Tireless Tracker? Obviously the latter is the high-water mark in terms of power in Green MV3 creatures, but I'm trying to give ideas of what it might be pitted against to preempt the usual problem of lacking a frame of reference.

I haven't played it much to say for sure (just 2 games, in both of which it was pretty good), but theoretically it ranges wildly from "stone-cold unplayable" to "the card that wins games" depending on whether the environment has a lot of card draw (then mana sinks becomes much worse) and whether cube's board states tend to be clogged or not.

Definitely worse than Tireless Tracker, and Oran-Rief Ooze is a very very different card that's hard to compare it with.

Yeah, they're obviously not for direct comparison, just for general power-level anchoring because that's always the issue with these sort of things.

Edit: to clarify, the question is whether or not it would be laughed out of any room containing Tireless Tracker.

Last edited:
yes
EDIT: Tireless Tracker gets huge and draws cards with no further investment required other than playing lands and cracking Clues. Elder of Laurels doesn’t draw cards and requires repeated mana sinks to maintain hugeness

Looking for cycles of cards that are highly similar to one another, for example:
etc
Everyone one in this cycle is 6/6 for 6, one keyword, {cost}: effect, {same cost}+exile: same effect. They read very easily if you're familiar with the others. Is there a name for this kind of design?

The -vores like Magnivore kind of remind me of this cycle because you are able to scan the card for what kind of card to count in your graveyard once you're familiar.

I'd view it differently than a cycle such as the Cavaliers
etc
These all cost 2MMM and sort of all have a keyword and some various ETB and some various death trigger, but it's a bit random what the effects are.

From the cycles I can recall, none of them feel as interconnected as the Souls.

Edit: I suppose the Titans pull it off. I kind of discredited them for having such variations in power level, but they're all 4MM, keyword, enters/attacks: effect.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am looking for colorless artifact payoffs. They can be artifacts themselves, but something like a land would be fine too. They should also fit a lower power level. I currently have only these two, and these are already at the top of my power range.

I really like Scrap Trawler

It helps reinforce things like Trinket Mage, Emry, Lurker of the Loch and Goblin Engineer. Great for recurring baubles and spellbombs. Can snag larger things with Feldon tokens. It does require a reasonable density of artifacts to be useful as an engine, but sometimes just blocking with it or sacrificing it to get back an executioner's capsule is worth it

Theres also the riptide fav:

Sacrificing artifacts to draw cards is a payoff in itself. It has the benefit of being a fully autonomous card on its own