General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Wall of Blossoms is good against aggro, but Carven Caryatid was too strong for my aggro decks. When you have two bears and a Firebolt, you just lose the game to Caryatid. Blossoms is a bump, but it can be overcome.

Ohran Viper has been in my cube for years and hasn't seen much play. I can't actually remember any deck that ran it. I suppose it's one of those cards with unimpressive text and unimpressive stats? It looks good on paper, so I'm keeping it until someone actually uses it =P

Green control is the hardest [color] [major archetype] combination to support. I've been having success with flash creatures in green that go well with counterspells, though this is more of an aggro-control deck. I'm also trying an RG Enrage/Pyroclasm archetype.

Thanks for all the suggestions. For some context I recently drafted this deck, and wanted some cards to go with it.

RGu Control (2nd place)

I really noticed that this deck suffered from a lack of card advantage lategame so Seasons Past and Wildest Dreams might be worth running. Harmonize feels like cheating as a cube designer so I'd rather not run it. Orhan Viper has been good in my experience, might be a difference in power levels. Having a deathtouch blocler early is good, and late game it can help you grind out of a topdeck war.

Ohran Viper has been stellar in my cube since day one. A deathtouch blocker with 3 toughness and a hard to block saboteur in one card, pretty much always generates card advantage if it doesn't eat a removal spell.

Harmonize wI'll feel like cheating the day Wizards stops printing it in every goddamm masters and other supplemental set they can. They recognize it's usefulness so heck yeah I will too.

This does make for a pretty spicy UG "screw the colorpie" theme. I've been reluctant to run either of them individually, but actually feel totally down to clown with running both of these cards together just because they feel like partners in crime.

Anyone got experience with this? It looks really sweet, is it too much? Too little?

I am in love with the idea of the Confluences even though I do not run all five of them. They all have a home somewhere and the green might have a home in your cube.

The third ability is actually quite useful IF your deck has some of the incredibly expensive and overpowered creatures if you’re into such things. Ramping from 6 mana is usually not that effective unless the card reeeeally ramps and 3 lands should do the job.

The first ability kinda feels like it should be instant speed.

The second ability is pure value and will definetly help the green control (Go late) game-plan that you’re looking for.

Question for me is (in-thread fight club), do you run confluence or seasons past or both? I do have some 8 mana cards that people would like to hard cast (borborygmos, sandwurm convergence, artisan of kozilek).

I'd say my go-to answer stands here: what does the deck want?

For this particular application, I think the Confluence wins. Seasons Past has a lot more impact for me in a GB or UG long-game deck that is using lots of spells for recursion. Also the dark petition "combo". The RG deck you are fostering here is more based on permanents: lands, big creatures, enchantments, etc. Verdant Confluence directly benefits basically every angle from that perspective. Returns permanents. Ramps lands. And then the first mode can power up the more utility creatures to build your own board state. Seems great.

Another option that solely plays the ramp angle is

I ran Nissa's Renewal for a while in exactly that role and it was great. 7 life is so great stapled onto a card that doesn't develop your board until next turn. Guarantees any splash you're running, throws a bone to the guy who insists on forcing 5C control without actually making the deck good, and if you have Regrowth effects it's sometimes right to go for the 14 life.

I would play Seasons Past over the green Confluence for my environment, but I think yours would want the Confluence more. I don't think you need both.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A second Cloudfin Raptor, at least that's what I'm doing :) Delver of Secrets is a trap I feel, as it's hard to flip but kinda gross when it does on your second turn. Maybe Phantasmal Bear is an option. Truth is, there aren't that many interesting aggressive options for blue. On purpose. The only realistic alternative is to resort to customs, Chris Taylor runs two of these:

Agym5rJ.png

He also runs a 1/1 flying for {U} with "At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library. You may put that card into your graveyard." and "Threshold - As long as there are seven or more cards in your graveyard, ~ has +2/+2."

Edit. Yeah, The bear is kinda boring. And those custom 1-drops seem absolutely busted, but I#m not really into custom cards anyway (like I would never do it in my own cube).

Oh, I think I found something that creates my interest:

Anyone has experiences with this beauty? Does it even get played for {U} often enough to be notjust a more expensive version of Persuation , that leaves a 1/1 flier?

Hypnotic Siren probably never gets cast for {U} ever. Will probably be removing it for that reason and replacing with another steal effect.

Second the sentiment there are not that many good U one drops on purpose. Not every color is supposed to have aggressive one drop creatures, and this color is certainly one of them. It's ok to have T2 aggressive decks for some color combos. Or to make the one mana cards other things like removal, equipment, burn, etc.

but if we really need one, seriously:

I'm not following why you would artificially restrict yourself on a slot that is already very slim (on purpose). This card is great, and is very valuable for this style of deck, where there are higher priority creatures to protect, like Gelectrode and Enigma Drake

And I think it is very important, that not every color gets good 1-drops/counterspells/efficient removal etc. Maybe I'm going to use the slot Wingcrafter holds at the moment to something else entirely. Unless I can get warm with the Stomrtamer maybe.

I'm really happy with Cloudfin though, because it is great in every blue deck with creatures.
Enclave Cryptologist acts more as a 2-drop.
Then I have Faerie Conclave as kinda 1-drop for tempo decks, which is a very good card.

It's definitely ok to have two, different, versions of a "counterspell one-drop" creature.

I'd say just drop the one-drop slot if you don't really like anything. Blue really doesn't need it for a tempo/agro deck in the colors to work. As your deck above illustrates, the archetype will happily use red aggressive one-drops to fill in any need. If the deck is struggling in the format, it's almost certainly not because it's missing a blue one drop, is what I'm getting at.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
It's definitely ok to have two, different, versions of a "counterspell one-drop" creature.

I'd say just drop the one-drop slot if you don't really like anything. Blue really doesn't need it for a tempo/agro deck in the colors to work. As your deck above illustrates, the archetype will happily use red aggressive one-drops to fill in any need. If the deck is struggling in the format, it's almost certainly not because it's missing a blue one drop, is what I'm getting at.

I agree. In an aggressive Ux deck, blue doesn't need to provide the attackers. It's much better at disruption and card draw. That said, there are some great blue creatures higher up the curve that can do some damage:

You could try

My suspicion is that the upkeep cost means it's not going to be any good in that archetype on turn 1, but it is still relevant later in the game so it might do the trick.