General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Probably my favorite RW creature of all time:

Aggressive, defensive, and a possible combo piece (Blasphemous Act, Starstorm).
If a little too strong then get the 'less good' version in Spitemare.

All the other low drops I can think of (I can just do a list dump, but doesn't seem worthwhile) just aren't that interesting. Then, when you get to like 4+ mana, it no longer feels aggressive.

This is the only one that is interesting, but may lead your drafters down the wrong path:

Wow wth never seen that card before! Like some weird kind of aggro control card? Looks kind of like a variant of firemane avenger that bolts instead of lightnong helixes, and does it without 3 other dudes as backup.

Yeah, it is a card every deck can use with aggro playabilty and an unique effect. My concern is, that in the end of the day, it is just a repeatable Lightning Bolt, which doesn't sound THAT interesting to me.

To me it seems like the ultimate protect the queen card. As long as you keep playing protection spells or counter spells you get to keep milking it for value. Depends on your removal suite, but I really really wanna try it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Veteran Motorist deons't do much in my cube sadly, because I only run a single Vehicle, which isn't even aggro playable.
And for Anax and Cymede I only have 4 cards or so to trigger Heroic in {R} and {W}, which could lead my players wrong paths.

Weapons Trainer is interesting. I mean, he at least has an impact on the way you build your deck. But he looks super ugly though :D

Has anyone ever tested this:

He's fine with 0 vehicles FWIW.

I'm looking for 2 black 3cmc creatures that fit this criteria:

- No mechanics like morph and transform
- I don't support tribal synergies, so I avoid cards like gravecrawler as they feel like false signals to me.
- Mid-powered cube, with heavy graveyard and artifact themes: Draft list can be found: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/86266

to accompany these 3 drops:

Nighthowler is great. Also

I run shredder and urchins and they are sweet synergistic cards. Knave could be good because it has 'yard and artifact synergies.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Kind of a derailment but are yall not using Scryfall.com ? I feel like it's so much better than MagicCards.info and it's updated CRAZY fast. The one time I've had an issue, I DM'd them on twitter and got a reply in 10 minutes, and again as soon as the fix went live a few hours later. They've got an amazing team, and the card-saving tool and grid layout is just gorgeous. Light as a feather, easy to learn; I suggest anyone who hasn't checked it out give it a shot, at least.

It'll take a long ass time to defeat the muscle memory I have from typing in MA [TAB] and then an SQL query into my browser window

Update on this, while magiccards.info is still my favorite for the no-frills look and muscle memory, scryfall does have one amazing feature:
https://scryfall.com/docs/reference
A fucking FAQ about their syntax!

Okay maybe I really am a dev at heart :p

You can show each printing at once: ++!"Lightning Bolt"
You can search by US price: usd>=0.50 e:ema
You can use fucking regex to super over-complicate the search for dual lands for your EDH deck!: shortened link
and lets not forget, you can search for hyrbid cards without having to get the order right: (Fuck you gatherer)

I'm looking for a black card as well. I'm planning on moving Unburial Rites into {W}{B}, where it should be anyway, and I need a

- noncreature spell, most likely
- not just removal, I think I have that in the bag
- Something more "unique" for the colors. My first thought was something more off the RTL beaten path, like good ol' Dark Ritual

I play Dark Ritual and have done pretty much since I first built my cube, but it's never seen a whole lot of play. Some options you might want to try:

My immediate first thought, this card is super sweet

Technically a creature but more like a card filtering engine.

I haven't played these in cube but they seem like they might be cool