General "Looking for a card"-Thread

So, I am not looking for a card, more for decks. An idea I can't stop thinking about right now is the following: A 180-card microsealed cube, all retro frames and on a pretty high power level – think old legacy/extended or juiced up standard decks. I am also considering to leave out white because it's so meh. Anyway, beyond the obvious good stuff, what could I support?

I definitely want to have one or more variations of a storm deck. Empty the Warrens and Tendrils of Agony are probably enough finishers for the list and the rest isn't that hard. I like the untap your lands variations with High Tide, Frantic Search and such. Those will probably be blue with red and/or black.

I would also like a reanimator deck to be possible. You know, Putrid Imp into Animate Dead getting back not so broken stuff like Verdant Force. Maybe a Platinum Angel would be cool too, it has a retro frame printing and feels appropriately old.

One standard deck I'm really interested in is the old Goblin Bidding deck that could run people over like an aggro deck or pull off a combo kill with stuff like Skirk Prospector, Goblin Sharpshooter, Siege-Gang Commander and the namesake Patriarch's Bidding.

But what else could I add? Give me your coolest ideas, I'll balance all that shit later.

Oh, but what I don't want are straight up two card combos. Combo kills need to involve thoughtful sequencing of multiple game pieces.

I can't wait to hear your wildest ideas!

retro frames and on a pretty high power level
Retro frames including brand new cards?
I definitely want to have one or more variations of a storm deck.
Every piece of a nostalgic storm deck is incredibly parasitic. You're not gonna be able to pass the vibe check on this one, I don't think.
I would also like a reanimator deck to be possible. You know, Putrid Imp into Animate Dead getting back not so broken stuff like Verdant Force. Maybe a Platinum Angel would be cool too, it has a retro frame printing and feels appropriately old.
I think this is fun, but leads to very low agency games.
One standard deck I'm really interested in is the old Goblin Bidding deck that could run people over like an aggro deck or pull off a combo kill with stuff like Skirk Prospector, Goblin Sharpshooter, Siege-Gang Commander and the namesake Patriarch's Bidding.
Living Death and other mass reanimators probably support this. Skullclamp?
But what else could I add? Give me your coolest ideas, I'll balance all that shit later.
Almost no ETBs really preserves the old school feeling. Creatures are mostly just stats. Spells are a couple levels above the creatures.

https://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=EX

Almost no ETBs really preserves the old school feeling. Creatures are mostly just stats. Spells are a couple levels above the creatures.

Not intending to derail, I fully acknowledge that the modern style "spell on a stick" ETB creatures is very different from older creatures, but interestingly there's 212 creatures with an ETB printed in the 90s according to scryfall.

https://scryfall.com/search?q=is:etb+year<=1999+t=creature&unique=cards&as=grid&order=cmc

(Edit: about 10% of all creatures printed in the 90s, compared with about 30% of creatures printed between 2013-2023)

I had a similar idea to you ravnic, where I started an old-bordered combo cube (very rough draft). What I noticed is that there are a lot of cool ways to generate mana, but not many efficient ways to spend it. I could go into detail about some of the themes in there if you like.

I also have very few White cards, but some of them are classics, though mostly focused around enchantments. I haven't really explored the idea, but maybe some hatebear strategy could be present too.

Cards that can cheat Eldrazi into play without being grossly early? Examples:

They don't have to be green.

does Golos, Tireless Pilgrim count? :p

Ignite the Future is pretty neat, if on the higher end of cost. Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty can lead to some funny chains, though it doesn't cheat per say. I used to run Champion of Rhonas, which isn't particularly powerful but can be fun if your environment tolerates that kind of creature. Defense of the Heart? Atla Palani, Nest Tender?

i had a funny bit to do as a joke suggestion at the end of this post but i've forgotten, so you should just pretend i said something really funny here

What about this classic?

Yes, it needs to survive a turn, but it’s either a titan on turn 4-5 or cheap enough to keep up a counter/protection spell.