General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Death or Glory
Damn Ravnica that is a sweet gem. I only vaguely remember it being part of a dual-cycle with Do or Die. A card I should maybe consider as well. While browsing over Invasion I also found Shackles again. Does it still have some merit?

-------------------

Zoss
Thank you for answering. Do you think Vengeful Rebel needs a lot of support or 'just' a Fetch land environment?

The criteria I had in my head that I didn't put down in writing was I wanted cheap Nekrataals that could be ninjutsued for value.

I'll take a Brightling! Seems like any aggro deck or midrange deck would want it if we're looking past synergies. I think I'll also test Consul's Lieutenant as well but I worry about that double white. I am mostly looking for white cards that will help finish games faster (like aggro cards.) I might even go crazy and try those Mistral Charger and Stormfront Pegasus that Train is suggestion even though I already run the strictly upgrades Remorseful Cleric and Selfless Spirit. I personally prefer when cards have some decision to them but maybe dumb 2/1 flyers are good too :p I would have to be pretty desperate. There's also Cartographer’s Hawk and Tomik, Distinguished Advokist on the double white. And if double white is reliable then there's plenty of 2/2 flyers. My experience say double cost on a 2-cost creature is not a good idea.

What is the most interesting think you can do with Do-It-Yourself Seraph?

For Seraph, I got curious and scryfell it. There's so many artifacts that are good or alright with her. Just keep her in mind when you make your artifact section and she should be successful if waiting a turn to attack in the late game is something your cube affords.

Death or Glory looks fantastic, +1 on it being a great find!

@Velrun--I'm not sure that Vengeful Rebel 'needs' more support than fetches, but keep in mind that you're likely going to want to crack fetches at the earliest possible opportunity, which makes the Rebel both a bit counterintuitive and an interesting tradeoff. I suspect that fetches alone might not be enough, but that any inclusion of LTB-based archetypes could make it work (ex. Ninjutsu, blink, aristocrats.) If you're playing with stuff like +1/+1 counters, Heroic, and prison, its stock is going to decrease, which is patently obvious. I'd imagine it'd be well-suited for your Ninjutsu-for-value environment, but honestly it varies! Its value is also going to change based on how many creatures have 3 or less toughness (duh). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know what benchmarks one would likely want to hit to make the Rebel reliable :D

I will say that if people don't have a way to trigger it semi-reliably, it's going to wheel hard. However, it works well with things like baubles or eggs, so it's not as restrictive as it may seem. Seen in that light, the Rebel is a test of how open-minded your drafters are!

I feel your pain on Consul's Lieutenant costing WW. Then again, it's probably broken at 1W. (A 3/2 first strike AND an anthem? The first is already way above-rate for White, grumble grumble.)

RE: DIY Seraph, it's a lot more fun than playing Baneslayer, but as Brad points out that's exactly what this card is. Now, if she had the Titan treatment ("whenever CARDNAME attacks . . . " -> "whenever CARDNAME ETBs or attacks . . . ") she'd be a lot easier to work into most cubes--but she'd be a totally different card! I try to encourage speculation on Baneslayers by being pretty choosy about my removal, but that's a whole different topic.

As for good targets, I'd say that the bar is pretty low; even grabbing Ichor Wellspring wouldn't feel awful.If you're already supporting combo, Mycosynth Lattice is cute. The Immortal Sun is boring, yet fun. Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer is spicy, but probably not showing up in the same decks. I really wish that she had gotten the Mairsil, the Pretender treatment so that text would persist across zones.

She's not quite right for my current cube configuration, as my artifacts mostly sacrifice themselves or are equipment cards, which is an unfortunate nonbo. That said, there are a couple equipment cards that go NUTSO with DIY Seraph if you house-rule that to work . . .

Zoss
I haven’t seen you around very much. I think we should change that. I think you have a lot to offer!

A cool thing about Seraph (that I only noticed after you suggested it) is that it can have multiple artifacts imprinted on it. Whenever it attacks, it may gain additional abilities without losing any.

Oh yeah, Vel, Do or Die is a similarly great card. It is also of the rare cards that you always main deck, but they get better when you're behind. It is a dud against a single creature, an edict against one and gets better and better the more dominant the opposing board is. It's also an edict that's decent against token armies. I love it. I probably had to cut it, if it weren't so fun, just like FoF. DoG is the new kid on the block, haven't seen too much if it but players seem to like it.

Can you take a picture and upload, please?

SxFjx9S.jpg

a variety of more or less serious takes (including a silver border re-render to make it really obvious it's been edited) are here: https://imgur.com/a/FMPUr54

Okay, I also got something: I am looking for red cards, that in some way reward you for having/attacking with a multiole creatures, and I'd love something more interesting than Trumpet Blast.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Okay friends, I am looking for white cards that synergize with equipment. It can be either because they name them (Stoneforge Mystic), because they just require a single artifact (Stone Haven Pilgrim), or because they like to get pumped (cheap double strikers etc.). Just hit me with everything that synergizes better with a Bonesplitter than a Glory Seeker!
Well... easiest would be to use Scryfall: https://scryfall.com/search?q=ci=w o:equip&order=cmc. The list of white cards that care about equipment is pretty small.

Generally I think equipment pairs well with evasion and decks that can play a blocker that can take over the equipment from the attacking creature when passing the turn to the opponent, so I guess double strike, flying and vigilance are good keywords to have among creatures?

some ideas re; the equipment creatures. I've left out plenty, and like... creatures that just fly for flying's sake or something.

For both looking for's, I think the below work well as crossovers between the red cards suggested and the white cards suggested

Earlier in this thread there was a discussion of hidden gems in White. What about other colours? Would be interested in the ones that could fit a high power (however, unpowered) environment

They aren't high-powered cards, but I'm fond of the following in Red:

Reality Scramble is a really fun way to cheat out creatures or artifacts if you have any ability to make tokens. It's also a great way to get stuff that got stolen from you back, and the ability to scramble any kind of permanent is pretty unique.
Reckless Fireweaver is a really fun card for an artifact deck. It blocks surprisingly well for a red creature, and adding a little bit of damage for every artifact you put down is solid.
Thunder Brute is either a 5/5 hasty trampler or an 8/8 trampler (with counters on it if you're supporting those kinds of shenanigans) for 4RR. Either way, that's a good chunk of meat.

Okay let’s go!

Does anyone have some hidden gems in their red section? Cards that are often overlooked but you really enjoy to play with or your players really enjoy to play with?

It's fun and flavorful. Gives reach to burn decks, can become a counterspell, card draw, but also requires investment of time, mana, and risk of getting your spells wiped out. The shields down/shields up dynamic works well in that you need to tap to grow, but also to activate.

Okay let’s go!

Does anyone have some hidden gems in their red section? Cards that are often overlooked but you really enjoy to play with or your players really enjoy to play with?
This pair:

I've talked about Bloodrage Brawler before, but I want to talk about Flamewake Phoenix because I love this card. Flamewake Phoenix is great because it doesn't really die ever unless it gets exiled, but unlike other Phoenixes, asks for some actual synergy to come back at an efficient rate. A lot of Phoenixes cost a ton of mana to reanimate, but Flamewake Phoenix can come back for a single {R} provided you have a creature with power 4 or greater in play.

Now, I know having a creature with power 4 or greater in play sounds like a big hoop to jump through, but it actually isn't that hard. All you need is an equipment like Grafted Wargear or Heirloom Blade and a random creature to keep the Phoenix coming back. You can also attach a +2 power equipment to a 2 power creature like Jackal Pup in order to bring back the Flamewake Phoenix.

I love these cards and I hope you give them a chance if you haven't already.

I think

is a really good glue card. The X = 10 is basically flavor text (especially if you don't run many instants or sorceries over 5 mana), but in a low power environment will look like an electrolyze or warleader's helix without even needing those cards in your cube. I could definitely see this in a higher powered cube acting like a sorcery speed snapcaster mage that also gets a sorcery. But I think the instant speed and 2/1 chump blocker is probably more useful. (Is a 3 mana sorcery lightning bolt + ponder good enough? Probably) If the flexibility is too strong you could also run

I stopped running it cuz I added Cruel Ultimatum
but the the overload actually isn't flavor text
or if you want something in-between

Really great, but 3 mana for a 4 or 5 loyalty planeswalker can be scary.

I'm looking for mechanics that are going to have a lot of cards. Kicker, Cycling, Flashback immediately come to mind. Trying to make my format more beginner friendly and would like to decrease the overall number of mechanics where I can.

God, that would be a really interesting thing to be able to figure out how to actually search for? For instance, there's 98 cards with landfall. I think it might be possible to get some estimate by just compiling a list of all words that are "mechanics", and then run a search for each of them, and rank them by the number of hits?