Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

I don't like the coin flip ability. The feel bads when someone really needs more than one blocker to survive and maybe stabilize when that person loses three flips ... I don't think the excitement is worth the risk

I didn't actually like the flip on Krark, that is some serious variance and pretty broken on average. AFR's Swarming Goblins felt pretty low variance on the other hand.

I don't think the repeatable value will be snowbally really, a 4 mana 4/2 that has to attack to get value is very fragile, and I expect this to trigger 0-1 time, 2 would be a feat. Garrison seems way more sbowbally though, 3 toughness on a 3 drop instead of 4, making 2 bodies instead of 1.5 is way, way better.

i mean, when you maindeck Krark you’re here for the GAMBLIN’, that’s why it’s cool.
but if you want to make some gobbos, why not get a card that is going to make a guaranteed number of gobbos? i can even see going up to Siege-Gang Commander for this slot, it’s pretty low power these days and gives you an interesting way to spend mana and turn your gobs into gobsmacks.

i mean, when you maindeck Krark you’re here for the GAMBLIN’, that’s why it’s cool.
but if you want to make some gobbos, why not get a card that is going to make a guaranteed number of gobbos? i can even see going up to Siege-Gang Commander for this slot, it’s pretty low power these days and gives you an interesting way to spend mana and turn your gobs into gobsmacks.

SGC sadly was too dominating in my cube. Just adding this to give japahn a second relation.

How powerful is this thing? Anyone actually tried it? I want to expand madness into black and I like this a lot since it is also very playable in selfmill decks and the like (and it has an old border version!). But I am a little scared that it might be too big of a threat with the discard attached? Having the opponent discard first in their upkeep intead of everyone in your upkeep makes this a threat that you can't chump or let it hit you for one turn or another, right?

I think it would be fine at my powerlevel to have a huge 5-rop at least steal a card from the opponents hand before they can remove it, but the continuity makes me a little worried.

Edi: ah you know what, I think it's fine

Last edited:
Necrogoyf felt very medium in Jumpstart Horizons, so I think you're fine to test it. I would be very surprised if it breaks anything.

I would like to have a colorless card that can hate on the various graveyard strategies within my format, but I want it to be wtill beatable, so no "exile all cards" stuff.

This seems pretty nice against all in selfmill, but with the second mode you really need one flashback card to get something close to a 2-for-1, so it's not super narrow.

Actually, my fear is, that a grveyard deck that can't answer noncreature arifacts ({U/B}) still just can't beat a turn one claws.

Do you guys run the Claws? Or other colorless gy hate?

@ravnic

I don’t like the play pattern with Claws. Every turn the same thing happens: “I tap Claws. Exile a card from you graveyard.” Opponent goes into the think tank. Opponent exiles a card. It’s often not important what gets exiled but people tend to take some time thinking either way. And because the ability is free, it will be activated each turn.

I run

But I think it might be too strong with that exile all. I like that it is an ETB and the owner gets to choos what get’s exiled. In that regard it feels like a Pithing Needle for a card in the GY. I also like that it is a choice between drawing a card or exiling the graveyard. But I still think it is too strong for your cube, sadly!

These are out of the question in my opinion

I mean.. you could try Gravestone because it does require 5 mana to exile all but the way I see it, it is a game-winning move from what you describe.

I kind of like having 0 graveyard-hate cards in a cube and let the graveyard cards be balanced around that. Or some Return to Nature here and there. Colorless options can be hurtful because they are difficult to interact with for some colors.

Cling to Dust is probably my favorite grave hate ever and i think it scales really well to a given format. it lets GY decks have their fun for the most part while still giving you outs to the most egregious discard value plays that could overwhelm you otherwise. and it’s a cantrip!
(i also like Territorial Kavu and Dire Fleet Daredevil but i doubt those count as low power for basically anyone)

Hm, yeah, it could prolong a game quite a bit, but I think I will try it. Also, for a deck build around Rise from the Tides, one card a turn is pretty close to "exile all" actually. I wish there was some middleground, like more cards that say "exile up to three target cards from graveyard" or something like a weak, killable creature that exiles a card every turn.

I already run two cards in black, Nezumi Graverobber and Agonizing Remorse, as well as cards like Dissipate and Disintegrate, that kind of help.

Crossroads Candleguide

I wish this guy would exile three cards on etb.

Watchers I considered as well, but not getting rid of a specific, problematic card while also hosing threshold-style decks is the worst possible combination.