Sets [M15] Magic 2015 Spoilers

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
635381999602138018.jpg

Cool card, but constantly having to represent 4 mana is a lot. Without the threat, a one toughness three drop isn't getting any work done. It might be worth something.

CML

Contributor
Rob Pardo has done this sort of thing before with Dark Swarm. Defiler of Souls anyone?

Laz

Developer
Notice the designer credit. I have a feeling some asshole was like "I want a black card with hexproof, first strike and deathtouch" and they were like "LOL HERE FUCKER"

I will admit, I hate this designer credit business. I understand that someone comes up with an initial concept for a card, but I would like to imagine that along the way dozens of people test, touch and tweak that concept, such that the final card merely reflects that initial concept to some greater or lesser extent. This way seems to hold individual designers responsible for what is actually the result of an entire group of people. Sure, it can be interesting for some individuals to get an impression of the 'design style' of certain Wizard's employees, but that sort of information can be sought, rather than pushed out to the public for no reason.

Also, are we going to see designer credits on cards like Rumbling Baloth? "Hurr Durr How about we make a 4/4... and cost it at 4 mana?" "What a concept! Designer credit for you on that brilliant non-obvious idea!"

I would like to take a moment to ring the BULLSHIT alarm on how upset I am with the oversight that Soul of Shandalar completely WRECKS Soul of Zendikar in a vacuum scenario...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On second thought, I really like Soul of New Phyrexia! It's a cubable artifact dude that doesn't completely dominate games if tinkered out, like Wurmcoil Engine and co.!

Also, Shandalar beats Zendikar any day of the week, of course it's better! :p

yisanthewandererbard.jpg
goblinkaboomist.jpg
masterofpredicaments.jpg
obnixilisunshackled.jpg
jaliramasterpolymorphist.jpg
aggressivemining.jpg
wardenofthebeyond.jpg

um Um UM YEAH??

I like the wandering bard a lot as a card, but he's very slow.
The mining goblin is the occasional red contol-ish card we see. I don't hate it.
I'm depressed by ob nixilis being an edh card, I like his original card a lot.
Warden of the beyond is neat. 4/4 vigilant for 3 yo

New Ob Nixilis definitely has the 'stop fucking around and play hundred card singleton you idiots' vibe to it to me.

The designer cards seem pretty hit and miss; the misses all seem to be trying too hard. Sirlin's is great (the sphinx). Goblin techies is a mess, but hey, diablo 3 lead designer, surprise I guess? Isaiah Cartwright is/was on the guild wars skill balancing team, so it doesn't surprise me his design is neat.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
So aggressive mining lets you draw lots of cards, but you can't play lands. If only there was a card thatDid something about that.

Probably too narrow for my cube.

I guess Warden of the Beyond is a fixed Brimaz, King of Oreskos? Sort of? White 3 drops need to hit for 4 and be unboltable? Is that the standard now?

Soul of Shandlar and Soulbond seems like nice to me. Maybe too pushed, but probably just right.

shieldoftheavatar.jpg

Cheap cost / equip cost, potentially annoying effect? There are a lot more 'designed by' cards in this set than I thought there would be. We pop culture now / soon.