Sets [M15] Magic 2015 Spoilers

CML

Contributor
I don't like it much, if it were instant speed it would be fun but as is Reveillark for retards ehhhhh

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Alright, so shoddy the preview article where we rip apart the celebrity designed cards?

I might have to do some research as to who everyone is. I know Richard Garriot VIA the spoony one, but most of the rest go right over my head

shieldoftheavatar.jpg

Cheap cost / equip cost, potentially annoying effect? There are a lot more 'designed by' cards in this set than I thought there would be. We pop culture now / soon.

I like the flavor (shields preventing damage totally makes sense), but I'm not sure this does enough TBH.

It's just got a fat norn-ish head. The porcelain plating is iconic to New Phyrexia as a plane, rather than a phyrexian monster with no real identifiers that could technically be from anywhere phyrexians have been. I like that it has a big Dinosaur tail, we haven't seen that out of phyrexia in a long time.

I might have to do some research as to who everyone is. I know Richard Garriot VIA the spoony one, but most of the rest go right over my head

Garriot went to space, McMillan did Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy (among other equally grim things), Pardo is head blizzard man, Sirlin wrote Playing to Win and did balance on some iteration of street fighter, Cartwright does Guild Wars skill balance (impressively balanced for the hundreds of skills available), Persson is notch.

I don't know the the other guys, but did look up Librande who was apparently Diablo 3 lead, which explains his card.

Ajani, Jace, and Nissa all have new art on the packaging, which is one-per-color. Red is the Soul of Shandalar and Black is some unidentified zombie thing with a sword. On the starter decks for new players Chandra's art is pyromaster and Liliana's art is Vess. I expected Garruk to be mono black seeing that, then I see a spoiler with straight-up Vess as the Mono-black walker.

EDIT: Maro just confirmed six 'walkers in m15 (here) so expect GB Garruk. I was ready to be real confused when there just was no garruk planeswalker card in the set after they revealed the promo Garruk "bot" card you can play against.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah those aren't M14 predator slivers...

interesting.

Looks like we do have all 15 of the celebrity designed cards. Should I start on that review article sometime soon?

Keep posting stuff about these people discussing their cards, it's good stuff to read, and I don't exactly follow lordbritish on twitter :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hey, that's actually slivers.
Thank goodness! I can hear them chanting at the predator slivers already: "Freaks! Freaks! Freaks!"

In all honesty, I didn't really mind the art direction of slivers in M14, but this still feels better.

whats urd, is that from an existing plane or are they just throwing hints into the core set now (oh man thats a cool idea)

also let me be the first one to make an obelisk of turd joke

Thank goodness! I can hear them chanting at the predator slivers already: "Freaks! Freaks! Freaks!"

In all honesty, I didn't really mind the art direction of slivers in M14, but this still feels better.

If the M14 slivers had been not-slivers, no-one would've minded, especially if slivers hadn't existed beforehand. The fact that they were all 'we're bring this stuff back!' except it wasn't the same stuff was what had everyone up in arms.

I still think the mechanical change is for the better in 90% of use cases (and unfortunately we are sometimes in that 10%), but that art change was silly, if well-intentioned.

Here's the reverse-cycle of friendly off-color land/activation guys (m14 was blue + if you control a plains etc.)
dauntlessrivermarshal.jpg
jorubaimurklurker.jpg
nightfiregiant.jpg
kirdchieftain.jpg
sunbladeelf.jpg

Them's some expensive activations...

Oh, right. Mythics!
ajanithesteadfast2.jpg
nissaworldwaker.jpg
souloftheros.jpg

So much lifelink...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I want new ajani so bad. I live that he helps you to wide and tall, and he's likely a lot more fair than goldmine, who sometimes just stopped your opponent from blocking well ever again.

Nissa looks interesting. Dat second ability.

They seem great for peasant but I don't think I actually want to play a game where someone can activate any of the {4}C abilities more than once.

As far as cube goes I don't want either of the walkers. Ajani draws out games forever or does absolutely nothing, and Nissa says "four forests" or does a weird rampaging baloths impression. Not very exciting or interactive IMO, I want my walkers doing more unique things.

Anyone have a grand opinion on the Souls? White's activation seems real groan-inducing. So much life.