Card/Deck [MCD] Sweeperz

Sweepers are pretty great. i’ve been trying to port the Wildfire strategy (break sweeper symmetry) to my environment using 3 toughness as the magic number instead of 4:
Clarion Ultimatum
Yahenni’s Expertise

i’m backing these up with a couple customs in red and RW that deal 3 damage to each creature with a little upside, but there’s plenty of red sweepers that deal 3 damage if you wanted to try something similar.
some of the critters i have that can survive:

I love sweepers too. They're swingy but their mere existence adds a lot of excitement - for the players and even spectators. But as I am running a lower powered cube that's not super fast, I have to be very careful in how I balance them. I run these currently:

White is king of boardwipes and gets 5 mana hard sweepers that can have small upsides. However, there are only three and one requires at least a few blue sources.

I love the bounce sweepers blue gets, and Aetherize is such a great card to have in a format. Players quickly learn to fear it.

Black gets four boardwipes, as it's king in killing, but it sweeps more conditionally. It's always size-based and sometimes scales with a thing you do (Mutilate) or takes time (Necroplasm).

Red gets two pretty strong, scaleable sweepers. But Wildfire/Force are clearly more specific buildarounds that can't be thrown into every control deck, and Ryusei is at it's best if you have ways to sacrifice and recur him at will.

So, these are 14 cards at 680 total, and with some quite conditional ones. That's my way to keep sweepers as a strong and interesting tool for control decks, yet also keep them in check.

Edit: people might say I just love talking about my cube and they're right, but I also thought it would be cool to have some examples from a cube much lower powered than most mentioned here so far.

Last edited:
What kinda Wrath or Wrath-adjacent (Wildfire, Languish, etc) numbers are people running? I'm at 13/450. 14 if you count Living End. Feels a little high, but I'm not sure.

in my current core list size 224 (none of the occasionals i mentioned above)…
DoJ
Plague Engineer (lol)
Yahenni’s Expertise
Brushfire
Engineered Explosives

so 4/224

13/450=.0288 Me
14/680=.0206 ravnic
4/224=.0179 blacksmithy
10/400=.0250 sigh

So maybe I should cut 1-2. I was thinking I was probably 2-3 high, so that's what I was expecting. Thanks.

I'd like to highlight

as a sweeper I expect to do well with golems and fabricate, etc.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
13/450=.0288 Me
14/680=.0206 ravnic
4/224=.0179 blacksmithy
10/400=.0250 sigh

So maybe I should cut 1-2. I was thinking I was probably 2-3 high, so that's what I was expecting. Thanks.

I'd like to highlight

as a sweeper I expect to do well with golems and fabricate, etc.
Without looking I have an inkling I run even less!

With looking.

And arguably.

Then there's the slow "sweepers", which can eventually clear the board, but it doesn't feel right to count them as actual sweepers.

So, let's call it a 7/450, or 1.56%. Easily the lowest so far.

I thought I had many, but I’m currently at 7/384 if you don’t count things like Living Death and Braids. I had 8 since some time ago, but I cut Terminus because it was too swingy. Maybe Hallowed Burial is the right choice, even though I thought it was a bit too low powered for my cube

I want to give a shoutout to my boy the blue sweeper on a legs:

Pros:
- It's one-sided! That's broken!
- You get a body out of the deal
- Sacrifice effects in Blue offer some interesting novelty
- Blue doesn't get many good sweepers
- Choices, choices, choices

Cons:
- Hard to deal with an opponent's biggest thing unless you sac something big
- This dude bounces and does not kill

Overall, this makes Profaner of the Dead a weak but interesting addition to a sweeper suite in that it's best used offensively in Ninjas. It also bolsters Control's weakest matchup against Aggro while being a sweeper that's pretty mediocre against Midrange, so I think it does good things for an environment in general. But most of all, I like the tension it creates, and so would recommend it chiefly if someone is looking to spice up a lower-powered cube.

So the 2% thing is cool.

Should that be weighed against a cube's level of 1 drops?

Like I have 10+ 1 drops in all my aggressive/dork colors in my 360 'fair-ish' cube

Glad this forum exists, was working on much cube and found a bunch of threads today.
i don’t think it’s a hard and fast rule, just interesting that our tiny sample tends to hover around a 2% median

EDIT: welcome to the forum!

So the 2% thing is cool.

Should that be weighed against a cube's level of 1 drops?
Someone who's a thicc fucking nerd with the world's most complex spreadsheet could probably answer this. I'd just playtest it.

For what it's worth, I have 37 one drops. So your count's around right (if mine is), assuming you've excluded blue.

I thought "oh I probably only have like 2, but it's actually 8/360 = 2.22%

I guess I like the tension of potentially playing into board wipes. Sometimes aggro has to, but my goal is that it should be a choice.