Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
this will feel right at home in my retail limited shitty cards cube for noobs. I have ub cycling / self discard as a synergy archetype. Very nice.
I think this post can be misinterpreted, judging by a response I deleted.

Funch: You actually have a lower power cube, right? I would suggest being a bit more careful with language/tone as it seems we're all on edge at the moment.

1622197351468.png

Seems like enchantments are getting revisited. Fun, I say! I think this is a pretty good support card, since you'd only need to play like an oblivion ring or something to make this investment worth it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like an explanation why my post gets deleted when other folks here can take a verbal dump on others cubes and make "fuck" every third word in their posts.
Because this thread is turning into another Riptide vs. Brainstorm show, which honestly I'm rather sick of.

I think you had misinterpreted the previous post when he said he had a cube with 'bad cards for noobs', because from my understanding, he has been working on a lower power cube aimed to be more accessible for beginners.

For his part, I do think that maybe being a bit less crass in communication would be beneficial. I'm not personally offended by it, but it does lead to more common miscommunications and can point the tone in an unconstructive direction.

Last edited:
This is exciting as a "redundancy" to drake haven that builds up instead of across. I dont run Drake Haven so dont need this either (right now) but for those who do maybe this is interesting

Lazotep Minister {U}{B} - Zombie Wizard
Whenever you discard a card you may pay {1}, if you do amass 2 (put out a 0/0 army if you dont have one, then pit 2 +1/+1 counters on said army)
1/3

1622198851456.png

Because this thread is turning into another Riptide vs. Brainstorm show, which honestly I'm rather sick of.

I think you had misinterpreted the previous post when he said he had a cube with 'bad cards for noobs', because from my understanding, he has been working on a lower power cube aimed to be more accessible for beginners.

For his part, I do think that maybe being a bit less crass in communication would be beneficial. I'm not personally offended by it, but it does lead to more common miscommunications and can point the tone in an unconstructive direction.

I'm sorry, didn't know he was building a lower powered cube for real, it just gave me the impression Funch was hating on and dumbing down lower powered cubes.

In my defense, before I tried twice to refocus this discussion on MH2 cards.

1622199627588.png

Can't block is a real bummer here, else it would be a snap include for me. I'll probably still test it, for the sweet blink/ninjutsu/recursion synergies.

Edit: Just realised it would've been Dusk Legion Zealot with self recursion. The real question is probably if it's better than Zealot.

I think this post can be misinterpreted, judging by a response I deleted.

Funch: You actually have a lower power cube, right? I would suggest being a bit more careful with language/tone as it seems we're all on edge at the moment.

Correct, it is literally a cube filled with a bunch of bad french vanilla's like Keeneye Aven, signpost uncommon synergy dudes, a few bomb rares that act as extreme power outliers to end games easily and quickly, bad removal spells like Swat and an almost non-existent amount of fixing. The goal is to create an environment that, like retail limited, is very noob friendly. I want people who are new and/or bad at the game to be able to play that format and find it easy and simple to understand, I don't want any complicated mechanics or convoluted synergies and archetypes, just really basic magic with a wide enough power level delta to ensure that the scrubbier players can more easily get wins because they drew their unbeatable bomb rare, or their opponent had to mulligan a lot due to bad mana and got color screwed, etc.

I'm nowhere close to done with it, as I kinda put it on hold during the MH2 spoiler season and I'm still mostly in the explorative phase of design where I'm just sort of looking at collections of cards and trying to figure out exactly how I want the pieces to fit together. But it's definitely a legitimate project that I intend to finish and when I say it's a "retail limited shitty cards cube for noobs" I do mean that in the most literal sense.

My life here has been a lot better since I remembered about the ignore user function.

On topic - dimir getting the love! I had to check how many more cards there are to be spoiled because there is so much goodness already, its ridiculous! But yeah, all these cards are going to require a long think about how they fit in.

View attachment 4165

Can't block is a real bummer here, else it would be a snap include for me. I'll probably still test it, for the sweet blink/ninjutsu/recursion synergies.

Edit: Just realised it would've been Dusk Legion Zealot with self recursion. The real question is probably if it's better than Zealot.

This looks spicy, but I'm not sure it's better than Zealot or the Skeleton that brings itself back to play. Presumably if you're playing this it's for the sacrifice value, and the Skeleton seems better? The 6 to buy back and play is very Whispers of the Muse -esq.

Kaldra's pretty dope. Excited to see if the prohibitive mana cost is enough to actually keep it out of stoneblade lists, the upside if you untap and shit this thing into play is pretty insane so it's definitely worth testing.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'll quote myself from that (deleted) card evaluation thread:

If we're treating this post seriously (which we shouldn't), I feel like in any case 'good' and 'bad' aren't even the words we're looking for.

In my opinion True Name Nemesis is a "bad card". But when I say "bad" there, there's an unspoken assumption that I mean 'poorly designed'. Somebody else could easily describe it as a "good card" based on other unspoken assumptions.

I do think in this context that more descriptive words may be more productive. Normally I don't put too much emphasis on being overly PC about things, but as we're getting repeated conflicts here it's maybe best to put in the extra effort for clarity.

I'll quote myself from that (deleted) card evaluation thread:

I do think in this context that more descriptive words may be more productive. Normally I don't put too much emphasis on being overly PC about things, but as we're getting repeated conflicts here it's maybe best to put in the extra effort for clarity.

Thank you! <3

View attachment 4168

Kaldra Phyrexianized. New Phyrexia can even compleat non-living Equipments. That’s pretty scary.

Quoting Caranthir on another site:

“Interesting.

The fact that Kaldra was annihilated during the creation of the fifth sun, however, makes this an "alternative history" card...”

So sad :(
It’s just here to make money :(

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
For #1, my guess is they did this due to how popular the Masters 25 watermarks were.
Also, because they are in their own slot in the pack, it makes it easy to spot the 'reprint' card.
Similar to Mystic Archives in Strixhaven. Just don't have the blindly obvious borders, so watermarks will have to do.

Damn-retro-MH2-265.jpg

this is not a joke, I swear