Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

I'm sure I can find a slot for this bad boi

Cute. @TrainmasterGT, this seems to mesh decently with things your {G} does
View attachment 4151
You know, I wasn't originally going to consider this card, but I actually might now.

Basically, I found that all of the Constellation stuff in W/G just didn't work that well because most of the good enchantments cost like 1-3 mana and all of the best payoffs are 3-6 mana. The only "generically good" enchantments payoff was Archon of Sun's Grace, and that card is just a big Baneslayer that can provide some potential card advantage. Starfield of Nyx was also reasonable, but again, it ended up being more of a Graveyard Combo card than a real enchantments payoff.

So why am I telling you this? Well, I was planning to cut the enchantment theme from my Cube, but then I looked at the numbers in my current Sketch list, and realized this new Dryad might be pretty decent. Basically, I'm still keeping the Ramp:

And the midrange 3-drops:

Meaning my green section already has 8 enchantments (that I know of, + or - 1 because I'm unsure about wanting Overgrowth). That means the Weaver can tap for quite a bit of mana! The only thing I was weary about was the 0/2 body, but then I remembered Another 0/2 Two-Mana Mana-Dork that I was cubing and realized this might actually do what I need it to.

TL;DR, I thought I couldn't make Sanctum Weaver work without a dedicated enchantment deck, turns out, I don't.

Dear @SirFunchalot,
A few notes

You're doing things differently than the rest of us here. This website is dedicated to non-high powered cubes where we have to think, debate and construct different decks for our cubes in order to see which cards fit into each of our cubes. We're not just adding the most powerful cards into our cubes because we're bound by a power-max law and cutting the lowest power level card to make room for it. I am no judge of this forum but I believe everyone is welcome. Just know that your arguments for why you add a card to your cube doesn't click with almost everyone on this site because this is the page for Riptide Laboratory synergy. This is a niche corner of the cube pool :)

Oh I think venser is an extremely weak card by modern power level standards.

This is what started this whole debate three pages back. I believe Sigh proved that statement wrong with his documented scientific analysis later. Let's get to that in a minute.

Again, I'm not talking about "most cubes" or the average cube, or whatever, I'm speaking of cubes that exist at the upper levels of the power level pyramid.

I do not believe anyone on this site is running a cube at the 'upper levels of the power level pyramid'. I also don't believe you do. In order for a cube to be at the tip of the top of that pyramid, they are going to have to run all the cards that we collectively concluded to be the best cards ever in this game in this thread:

https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/the-most-powerful-card-ever.3394/

Here are a few of the cards required to be run for a cube to be considered at the tip of the top of the pyramid

Double Stroke.jpg
Titania.jpgThe Philosopher.jpg

And if you enjoy how games with True-Name Nemesis feel in your cube, you can consider Knight of the Kitchen Sink for a cheaper version.

According to a very comprehensive analysis per this post, Venser is the 9th highest ranking blue creature across all of the cubes in both cubetutor and cubecobra.
Sigh.png
Venser is a very popular, very unique, very iconic magic card, I have no doubt many people enjoy playing with the card. But popularity isn't a measure of quality. McDonalds is the most successful restaurant franchise in the world, does anyone think that means they actually make the best burgers?

As you can read in the article, Venser is not among the most popular cube cards. It's the 9'th highest ranked blue creature. As in the 9'th highest power creature ever in blue. The MacDonald's comparison doesn't make sense because their burger's are not highly rated. They're just popular. Unlike Venser that is high power.

I hope this settles the debate. Sigh provided indisputable data to back up his claim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Uh... I'm going to have to step in here again. Let's all keep things civil.

1) It's okay for SirFunchalot to say Venser is not at the top tier of Magic cards. Him not running Black Lotus doesn't invalidate that. You can debate 'extremely weak' certainly, but:
2) I wouldn't try to debate it with statistics. Both CubeCobra and CubeTutor have ELO ratings for cards that are dodgy at best, and are based on pick rate data from people who will never play the decks, much less with competitive intent. Moreover, it says nothing about whether those cards would actually contribute to winning the matches or not. If this were like, football cube or something: I could put Ozil in my 11-man theoretical team all day long but it's only on the pitch that we'd see that he's way past it.
3) This site isn't really dedicated to non-high powered cubes. Ideally it'd be more about open-mindedness in cube construction. Ideally we can have people of different perspectives happily coexisting.

If anybody has issues with the discourse here, as always let me know. As you note, Funch has a certain perspective when he discusses cards, as we all do. The same reason I probably will exclude Territorial Kavu from one or more of my lists is likely the same reason why he would include it.

A card can be not best-in-slot and we can still run it anyways. We can disagree on how strong a card is. But I think as long as we keep it friendly and allow everyone to do their own thing, we're good.

Regarding Venser specifically, I have him in my list, but he's certainly not the first card I ever lock into my 40. I won't judge any of you for including or excluding him.

Last edited:
This is what started this whole debate three pages back. I believe Sigh proved that statement wrong with his documented scientific analysis later. Let's get to that in a minute.
Yes. Let's get to that:
"The four metrics considered are:
1) Cubecobra ELO (strength of the card based on picks), 30% weight
Questionably calculated number. The only one actually relating to the power of the card.
2) Cubecobra # of cubes, 20% weight
Nothing to do with power.
3) Cubetutor pick %, 30% weight
Another questionably calculated number that's influenced by innumerable factors.
4) Cubetutor # of cubes, 20% weight"
Nothing to do with power.

It's extremely important to note that there's no win percentage metrics of any kind included.

As you can read in the article, Venser is not among the most popular cube cards. It's the 9'th highest ranked blue creature.
True, based on the metrics outlined. 40% of which were unrelated to power and 60% of which are very rough calculations.
As in the 9'th highest power creature ever in blue.
Again, no. The calculations on that page are not based on the card's power.
The MacDonald's comparison doesn't make sense because their burger's are not highly rated. They're just popular. Unlike Venser that is high power.
It was a great comparison. McD's is popular due to taste, price, speed, and other factors. Same as Venser, who is popular for many factors besides power.
I hope this settles the debate. Sigh provided indisputable data to back up his claim.
Except the data was not a direct reference to power level and the debate ended pages ago.

I already said my piece on Venser. It's great some spots and terrible in others. That's fine. That's cube. We aren't in a vacuum here.

I mainly responded because the data is being horribly misrepresented, which is detrimental to anyone seeking to use it.

That titan is sweet. And I think he's just making fists ...

Hm, did you know there is no izzet card with madness? I think there should be some, and this set should deliver. Yes, I know, the theme here is delirium, but in modern horizons, a card can have easily both, right? If I were to design a mh card, I'd probably start with writing "delirium, madness", so come on wizards!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
3) This site isn't really dedicated to non-high powered cubes. Ideally it'd be more about open-mindedness in cube construction. Ideally we can have people of different perspectives happily coexisting.
Judge! This site allows me to only like this post once!

masterofdeath.jpg

Accurately named. I assume the not extended art has reminder text?
This... fits my UB discard matters theme to a tee :oops:

Okay well since Brad and Onde decided to continue the talk, I will level them.

The reason why the debate 'ended' long ago and I commented one page later was because I slept when this conversation happened. Time zones, guys.

Right now we have statistical data to support that Venser, Shaper Savant is high power. We have no statistical data to support the card isn't. Maybe the data is not to your liking, but it's certainly scientific and better than one man's opinion.

We can let the topic rest now

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay well since Brad and Onde decided to continue the talk, I will level them.

The reason why the debate 'ended' long ago and I commented one page later was because I slept when this conversation happened. Time zones, guys.

Right now we have statistical data to support that Venser, Shaper Savant is high power. We have no statistical data to support the card isn't. Maybe the data is not to your liking, but it's certainly scientific and better than one man's opinion.

We can let the topic rest now
Those statistics say nothing of the sort. I'm deleting all future posts I see about Venser in this thread.

I get it, but I don’t think so. There are so many other better discard outlets now, it’s been a little outclassed for a while tbh.

Then again, every time I step into this thread I get high off of the spoilers and can’t think straight so call me in the morning

View attachment 4160
Whenever you discard a card, you may pay 1. If you do, Amass 2.

:oops::D

:swagg:

That's a great signpost for my cube!

this will feel right at home in my retail limited shitty cards cube for noobs (mod edit for clarity) "beginner-friendly lower power cube". I have ub cycling / self discard as a synergy archetype. Very nice.

Also as a data scientist myself I very much appreciate some other folks coming to bat and calling out dodgy analytics, gives me happy brain chemicals.

Last edited by a moderator: