Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Damn-retro-MH2-265.jpg

this is not a joke, I swear
Damn

Can’t Block Augur would indeed have been very nice with the ability to block. I am really getting bored of “can’t block” as the go to drawback for black value critters like this and Order of Midnight. As is i think it’s much worse than Dusk Legion because if it can’t block, how are you ever going to get it to die so you can recur it? The design could have been very cool but the sum is way less than its parts.

The UB Amass guy would probably be pretty sweet as a cycling/madness payoff if you didn’t have to pay every time. As is i think it will be hard enough doing the synergy without also having to pay mana to get the cookie.

1622217597245.png 1622217606345.png 1622217696059.png

I mean, I'm not coplaining, but now they look even more different from the og Mirrodin ones. I'll still upgrade these three and be happy about it.

1622218574211.png

Said 2U
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
//
Done 3U
Instant (Uncommon)
Tap up to two target creatures. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step

I think I might be adding this! Very flexible to have either Call to Mind or a one mana more expensive Frost Breath.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In these moment I feel like the weirdo for wishing Damns Overload cost was {3}{W}{W}. The design is cool enough to tempt me but at the very least boardwipe part is too cheap.
You're not alone. At 3WW for the overload cost I would have cubed this instantly, but at its current rate I won't. I want the wraths in my format to be 5 mv. Also, that BB cost up front is awkward. I would have preferred 2B there as well. But hey, we always have Magic Set Editor! ;)

Oh my goodness, the possibilities ... Could this be the white buildaround enchantment I've been waiting for?

I have 15 1-drops in white naturally, though none of them are sacrificing themselves. But maybe they don't have to? Maybe this will just be good enough to justify adding a bunch of 1-drops to your grindy decks?

I HAVE NO CLUEWHAT TO MAKE OF THIS BUT I AM SO EXCITED

AND I JUST CANT HIDE IT

idk, i feel like that is something we have an embarrassment of right now? Hexdrinker, Pelt Collector, Warden of the First Tree, Experiment One kinda, Nimble Mongoose, Narnam Renegade, Elvish Reclaimer, Skyshroud Renegade... i had to actively cut green 1s just so it wasn’t the de facto aggro color

That's quite the Stoneforge Mystic target! And goes well in Daretti/Goblin Welder strategies too! Unconditional indestructible is the only thing making me hesitate.

It just seems way too strong imo. Powerful for sure, I'm just not sure if this is any fun to actually play against. Cheating it into play or ramping into it ahead of schedule seems like an absolute beating. There's just very little downside unless they Swords or Path the token and you're left with that massive equip cost. It just feels like you need exile spell or bust if this resolves.

I'm all for better equipment to flesh out a robust Stoneforge package, but I'm not a fan of all-upside designs like this that have very limited interaction.

The shift to having more end-step triggers versus upkeep has been interesting to see in the last two years. It's made a lot of cards way more playable than they might have been otherwise.

yeah this seems like gas if your one drop density is high enough. i have certainly considered breaking singleton on stuff like Thraben Inspector and Grim Lavamancer.