Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

1622161885354.png

Timeless Witness 2GG

Creature - Human Shaman U

When Timeless Witness enters the battlefield, return target card from your graveyard to your hand.

Eternalize 5GG

2/1

Cute throwback. Worse than the original bc costing more mana makes cards worse and sometimes it be like that, but gets to do more S Y N E R G Y with like self mill or something?

Last edited:
1622161885354.png

Cute throwback. Worse than the original bc more costing more mana be like that, but gets to do more S Y N E R G Y with like self mill or something?
This card looks neat in low-power, value-oriented environments. I don't even think you necessarily need explicit synergies for this card to do something worthwhile. You just need to be in a format where spending 4 mana on a 2/1 with a regrowth stapled on isn't an abysmal floor, and you can conceivably reach 7 mana to eternalize in a normal game. This card has legs somewhere, that's for sure.

Really nice idea, but it's asking for a lot. An extra mana up front is quite an investment and the 7 mana Flashback is a serious cost. Someone decently lower powered will enjoy it.

On the whole "Venser" thing: He's really shit and really good. It's cube. Context matters. Hell, Separatist Voidmage was possibly the best common in ORI and wrecked a lot of games.

According to a very comprehensive analysis per this post, Venser is the 9th highest ranking blue creature across all of the cubes in both cubetutor and cubecobra. That's above Mulldrifter, and contemporary with the likes of Arcane Savant and Vendilion Clique.

21 slots ahead of Young Pyromancer. 40 slots ahead of Tireless Tracker. 42 ahead of Mother of Runes. Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath is over 100 ranks lower than it.

Here's what it's directly ranked with, and some interesting neighbors highlighted.
1622163364940.png

if you do retail cubes, and you have any kind of graveyard stuff happening, that e wit is HIGH OCTANE GASOLINE. my gosh that’s some big value.

crabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrab

it's a good card for lower power cubes i think, does some neat graveyardy things

crabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrabcrab

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Debates over terminology that become debates about dodgy stats are the most tiresome thing in Magic discourse, can we please talk about the sweet cards instead

like this one

1622166058093.png

I love Erratic Explosion too much but Explosion itself is just too bad and the alternatives are too expensive (Riddle of Lightning is good no matter how much I want it to be). This one is kinda priced to move though!

Attachments

• 1622166035761.png
    1622166035761.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 6
Maybe we can talk about cool magic cards. I like that one, but still worry about randomness just kicking you in the ass. What's the average CMC of cubes around here? 2.something? so it's on average a bit better than firebolt, with a much wider band of goodness/badness. And I suppose you can top deck manipulate.

so, there’s a few things that have to happen for Calibrated Blast to be good in an environment. in my opinion anyway.
it must be capable of reliably hitting “the going rate” for 3MV burn instants. for my environment that’s nonexistent since i only run burn at MV1-2, but if stuff like Brimstone Volley (3 damage for 3 mana) is pretty on par in your cube then there you go, you need the floor on this to be 3ish. for that to happen, the average mana value of stuff in your deck has to be... actually a bit higher than 3 so that the expected value (NOT the same as the average) of the flip is 3+. having a scry heavy environment probably helps but don’t count on it.
so, if you are in a deck that runs quite heavy on the curve, and i mean QUITE heavy, it can pull its weight, but you really want to ask yourself “how OK am i with this flipping a 1-2MV spell most of the time? how does that compare to other burn spells in my environment?”
and yea it has flashback but so does firebolt and that one always does 2 damage for 1 mana on the first cast.

This card looks neat in low-power, value-oriented environments. I don't even think you necessarily need explicit synergies for this card to do something worthwhile. You just need to be in a format where spending 4 mana on a 2/1 with a regrowth stapled on isn't an abysmal floor, and you can conceivably reach 7 mana to eternalize in a normal game. This card has legs somewhere, that's for sure.
I really like this for the fact that it's graveyard recursion you can recur directly from the grave, which is pretty rare (Unburial Rites, Dread Return... ?? not much else). Sure that isn't until later game, but you can still bin it on purpose or on accident and get value from it. That's really solid. And it's eternalize too, which is miles better than embalm.

4 slot is pretty tight for green though, so it would definitely need to be a purposeful include, but I am tempted. A regrowth on a stick (+ more!) is still a regrowth on a stick. Arasta's not thaaat useful....?

Hard to say how good it is. The floor is obviously low
The ceiling is quite high. 2 mana colorless reanimation spell.

Calibrated Blast needs some Delve cards for MV+ and some scry to set it up. Onslaught cube likes it.

masterofdeath.jpg

Accurately named. I assume the not extended art has reminder text?

The ceiling is quite high. 2 mana colorless reanimation spell.

Calibrated Blast needs some Delve cards for MV+ and some scry to set it up. Onslaught cube likes it.

masterofdeath.jpg

Accurately named. I assume the not extended art has reminder text?
Oh wow, this is nice support for U/B reanimator strategies. A recurrable blocker that lets you dig deeper for your reanimation spells and can fill your graveyard up with goodies. What a sweet design.

Master of Death is a cool design but I worry it’s too slow and it’s body is too anemic for its cost for what my format has going on

sanctum weaver looks like a possible very strong mana engine for enchantress, which looks like the shell that’s going to end up justifying a lot of these wonky green storm cards. Interested to see how that all shakes out.

I'm sure I can find a slot for this bad boi

Cute. @TrainmasterGT, this seems to mesh decently with things your {G} does
Hell. That's a 2 mana any color fixer with a fragile body at worst. Nice floor, great ceiling, non parasitic payoff.
Master of Death is a cool design but I worry it’s too slow and it’s body is too anemic for its cost for what my format has going on
Basically for sure. Your requirements for 3 mana are damn high.