Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

I was planning on cutting Heliod, Sun-Crowned due to a lack of support but having a tiny cast-able Triskelion gives another Walking Ballista finisher option on curve. Plays well in a GW shell with the likes of Evolution Sage for proliferation and stuff like Felidar Retreat to help grow a team. This also means that we're likely to get a Duoskelion at some point in a future set which I am all for.

EDIT: Just saw that cost to activate. Oh well. This ain't it chief.

Last edited:
Chatterstorm-MH2-265.jpg

For those who loved Crow Storm but wanted it to be a little cheaper...

(seriously though, this seems like a good power level? am I insane?)

underworldhermit.jpg
underworldhermitp.jpg

I'm liking the idea of having a second copy of Gray Merchant of Asphodel without actually needing to double up on Gary himself. The big issue with this card is that Underworld Hermit costs 6, meaning that literally only black heavy midrange decks actually want this card (seriously, this card doesn't work as a control finisher at all). Perhaps double Hermit double Gary is where I need to be to achieve my dream of Mono-Black devotion being a real deck and not just a meme.

I like the interaction this card has with Whip of Erebos in singleton. He's basically a Derranged Hermit at that point, except the Squirrels get Lifelink.

I'm probably going to test this card, but I'm almost positive the power level will be too low for it to work as long as I remain singleton. 6-mana is just too much unless you're casting Elspeth or in Green, I think.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'm already marking off flex/cut slots in my cube in anticipation of the rest of these spoilers. I'm expecting something like 12 new additions if MH1 was an indicator of what to expect.

Yeah, I've paused my redesign for now because I'm expecting to get a great haul from MH2 and that I'll want to build around many of those cards

Damn, I wish that piper was a 5-mana 2/2, I'd cube the hell out of it. However, at six I already have Marionette Master and my pet card Nightmare, so the stuff he's doing is already covered. And I also want neither cut the black Mulldrifter nor go up to four 6-drops in black. But it's so close!

However Monoskelion seems to be my first hit this spoiler season. Blink and artifact synergies, aggro takes it too, seems great. Plus, old border!

1622012691728.png

1622030527150.jpeg

Liquimetal Torque

T: Add C

T: Target nonland permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types until end of turn.

———

I think this is very playable for me. Making liquimetal coating a mana rock is so huge

EDIT: Just realized it’s non-land. That’s less good but still maybe worth running

Last edited:
Ayula Deck getting all the love this set! Not bad for cube if you want to support some green tempo/aggro deck.
1622032309484.png

So they (probably) aren't reprinting hymn to tourach. instead they just gave us that on a stick!
1622032404742.png

Tourach, Dread Chanter
1B
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric
Kicker BB

Protection from White

Whenever an opponent discards a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Tourach.

When Tourach enters the battlefield, if the kicker cost was payed, target opponent discards two cards at random.
Illus. Greg Staples
2/1​

View attachment 4085

Liquimetal Torque

T: Add C

T: Target nonland permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types until end of turn.

———

I think this is very playable for me. Making liquimetal coating a mana rock is so huge

EDIT: Just realized it’s non-land. That’s less good but still maybe worth running

I love the old school artwork. And it might very well be worth it in any cube with a decent amount of artifact removal, especially if there is also some artifact stuff going on on your side. Do we know yet if this comes in a retro frame too?:D

In addition to artifact removal, I was thinking it could be interesting with:

I've been thinking about adding a 2cmc mana rock to my cube. Not sure this is the one, but it does have some unique possibilities.

EDIT: Also

Last edited:
Now they really got me smiling

1622037981585.png

That's a sweet build-around, as it creates a connection between the larger madness theme I'm runnig in temur colors, while also being another piece for the mono {U} mill subtheme. And scry 1 every upkeep is really good too.

Also, it makes me really happy how they got some old school artists on board for this set, first Drew Tucker and RKF, now also Donato Giancola. He doesn't get mentioned among magic players all that often, but I love his works, they really pulled me into the game as a little kid. For example, he created the diabolically, dimir-y gorgeous piece for my first ever legend, Szadek, Lord of Secrets.

1622038274685.png

carththelion.jpg

Sweet design. Had an idea about a +1 to all walkers ability just the other day.

FUCK that anthem! Give me the black one!!!

Bone Shards is gas.

These artifact lands, modular guys, and liquimetal are making me eye the fully-built artifact cube I already have a list for. Those lands are also sick with Wildfire if you can somehow get them to coexist in the same powerband. Loving that they went with Mirran art instead of Kaladeshian(?).

The Black Cube hasn't hit a lot for my intended power level, but I'm waiting to see how MH2 shakes out before I make any true decisions.

1622043326445.png1622043357920.png

I have a hard time evaluating how good this lady actually is, but I'm suuuper tempted to add this package. Nice bridge between red madness and black lifegain, both cards at least solid on their owny and Asmora goes into a hybrid slot as well!

View attachment 4093View attachment 4094

I have a hard time evaluating how good this lady actually is, but I'm suuuper tempted to add this package. Nice bridge between red madness and black lifegain, both cards at least solid on their owny and Asmora goes into a hybrid slot as well!

Asma... etc. is a bit too wacky for me, but the cookbook is interesting on its own. Good discard enabler that is trinket mage fetchable that also can make some salvaging station/auriok salvagers engines.

These artifact lands, modular guys, and liquimetal are making me eye the fully-built artifact cube I already have a list for.
Please build it so we can compare notes!!

Quite a few good cards revealed today--it's like the 12 Days of Christmas right now lolol. And we still have Forgotten Realms to look forward to..

Asmo is an almost for me. It is essentially a 3/3 for 1 hybrid mana in my environment which is just want my black and red aggro decks want, but my power level is too high to thoroughly support the food mechanic outside of Gilded Goose, so it would send out a bad signal.

I've wanted more colorless discard outlets, but I think the Cookbook may be a bit too incremental for my needs.

Lots of tools for cubes that are a tier lower in power than mine though.