Sets (MH3) Modern Horizons 3 Previews

I can't decide if I think that is cool or heinous. I like that you have to put in the effort and can't just freeload off your opponent, but this is very easily a 2/3 for 1 baseline very early with a ton of potential upside.

Well, it kind of makes sense, if it's supposed to be an actual Tarmogoyf token then it would also need to have the associated mana cost, unless we're implicitly not including that for any named tokens. Which I think would make less sense, but I could see arguments for either implementation considering embalm intentionally eschews it.

Do you guys ever wonder what Magic will be like in 2035?

Sonic, Sneakered Speedster will create 1d6 Ring tokens whenever a source an opponent controls deals damage to him. Ring tokens are identical to Treasures except they generate brand awareness. One in every 1000 Ring tokens is a reprint of The One Ring.

Legendary creatures will be printed on extra-thick wafers with an e-paper display allowing them to display up to 15 different images and text boxes per individual card. Winning games allows them to unlock new abilities when playing in League Mode which is cross-compatible between paper and digital games.

Mulldrifter will still be in literally every cube (or it should be.)

The default starting life total for a 1v1 60-card game of constructed Magic will be 25.

Players will be able to take up to 7 free mulligans, but each mulligan requires you to begin the game with an additional card from your starting hand revealed to the opponent.

Somehow, Yawgmoth will return.

I guess if the new Goyf averages out to being a 2/3 then that's definitely good enough as just a beater for 1 mana, but tracking you own graveyard is just so much more limited in explosive scalability early in the game. And I'm not sure I'd want to cannibalize my own graveyard if I've got recursive beaters in there as the game progresses. I can see this shining in certain environments, especially those that are all about graveyard shenanigans, but I'm not sure if I have a home for it currently. The deeper you can go with delirium and the like the more it's going to shine, but those cubes also don't typically seem to run dedicated B/x Aggro from what I've seen.

Sick art though, I'm a big fan. It's very evocative and reminiscent of the FUT Tarmogoyf.

I guess if the new Goyf averages out to being a 2/3 then that's definitely good enough as just a beater for 1 mana, but tracking you own graveyard is just so much more limited in explosive scalability early in the game.
I think 2/3 is more of a floor than an average in any deck resembling the gameplay of jund or delver, even without escape it would probably be one of your best one-drops. I feel like Stalactite Stalker's time in Legacy might have been short-lived.
It doesn't look like it would play well in aggro decks.

It's like the polar opposite of everything I'd want in my cube. Such a chore to read through and so unnecessarily complex.

If it's a Kaladesh cube with energy go buck wild but I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

Yes, 100% not running it either. But (minus the energy part) the play is actually pretty interesting. You either get their best guy and they get a 3/2 flyer (okay). You can't pay the energy and you just remove their biggest threat, ala Beast Within. I don't really love it, but you did still remove their best guy for 2 mana. Or, they have nothing worth stealing and you just get a 3/2 flyer for 2 mana...a serviceable floor.

I think they're still trying to dial in the best version of Hexproof. Ward is cool but it's really clunky and it becomes basically Hexproof once you go more than 3 on it. These 'limited' hexproof clauses seem to be where they are going, for better or worse. I do not like green eggs and ham wordy cards either!

I think 2/3 is more of a floor than an average in any deck resembling the gameplay of jund or delver, even without escape it would probably be one of your best one-drops. I feel like Stalactite Stalker's time in Legacy might have been short-lived.
It doesn't look like it would play well in aggro decks.

Yeah, I'm feeling this more in something like a B/G or U/B deck than anything aggressive. It cannibalizes too much of what makes B/x Aggro compelling to really work in that shell. Looks like a cool card for Constructed if you get to pair it somehow with Dragon's Rage Channeler in some kind of shell.

I'd probably be more excited for this if I was still interested in Modern, but between WoTC's support for Constructed and the meta rotations with each of these Horizons sets I'm just completely off it.