Sets (MH3) Modern Horizons 3 Previews

Yeah that's a bummer for sure. It's nice that it targets any graveyard at least
Perfect for accidentally shuffling your opponent's card into your deck lol.
There are so many enchantments these days and this card is so strong that I don't think it would take much to make it see play.
Devoid of fun
Watch your mouth. That's my favorite card's son you're speaking about.
Really excited for these. Adding C and providing multiple Landfall triggers is solid.
720 card singleton list
With how many new big Eldrazi are in this set, I briefly considered doubling my cube size lol.
It says type, not color. {c} Gang rejoice! It's also a ramp land for Titans!
Yeah I just think it's goofy because colorless doesn't actually matter when the cards are not really colorless. They are colorless because a line of text tells you that they are colorless, they are not meaningfully colorless as we understand colorless in the context of how the game system works.
I've lost a game due to my inability to Dark Betrayal a Sifter of Skulls.

I personally run Forerunner of Slaughter as a BR Flinthoof Boar.

I'm going to try running Sungold Sentinel due to Devoid providing colorless answers to its second ability.

I'm not saying its a hugely important keyword, but it's relevant.

@inscho already posted these so credit to Inscho. I’ll do it again to talk about them.

Lazotep Quartz
So now we know how Bolas reanimated his army of Eternals.

Copy Land
This is so beautiful! <3

Trenchpost
Yet another Locus. The hard part is still drawing/tutoring Cloudpost to abuse the mana advantage.

Sunken Palace
Wow, what a design! Also more Caves! Can’t tell if it’s going to be incredible or useless. I feel MH3 has made mana bases more interesting to design. There is so much to choose from. Here I specifically talk about cube and Duel Commander.

Cards will probably not show for you guys because they’re not in the Scryfall database yet. Come back in two days lol :p

I like this card. See, on a green 5-drop that doesn't generate immediate value and isn't even guaranteed to do so next turn, I'm fine with slightly pushed stats.

It might be just what I wanted for the landfall card I was looking for. It rewards you for having was to reliably trigger landfall on turn 5+, it interacts with the graveyard and it isn't further supporting the {G/W} tokens and/or {R/G} aggro decks, which are already performing better than the other green decks currently.

Idk if this was clear but when I say that Devoid cards "are not meaningfully colorless", I don't mean the fact that they are technically colorless never comes up and isn't relevant. What I mean is that they are not colorless in the way that we understand what it means to be colorless in the context of a draft and deckbuilding perspective. They are not open picks that go into any color combination and you cannot cast them with any mana base. They are colorless because a line of text tells you that they are colorless, but they are not colorless in the ways that actually make colorless cards cool and meaningfully different from cards that have a color.

Like I think if the only way to make "colorless matters" a thing is by making cards that just, tell you that they're colorless even when they lack almost all of the actual distinctions that make colorless cards unique, then you are not actually doing "colorless matters". It would be like doing "red cards matter" and then printing a bunch of cards that are not cast with red mana but say "This card is red" on them.

Devoid is a weird one. Basically, it's in line with all the game's keywords, which simply define exceptions to the rules that apply only to the keyworded card. Creatures deal combat damage simultaneously, unless they have first strike. Instants and sorceries go to the graveyard when they resolve, unless they have Rebound. A card's mana cost defines its color, unless it has Devoid. The Eldrazi are so weird and mind-bendy that a strange mechanic like this fits for them, but it's not exactly stellar design.

Imagine a set where Prowess is a major mechanic, and half the creatures have "Creachisn't - this card isn't a creature." But they still have power, toughness, and the ability to attack and block.

I think Devoid was kind of an early attempt at batching. The problem is: it batches Eldrazi and Artifacts, which are not related in the lore.

Meanwhile the tragically underutilized {c} symbol is right there, just being cool as fuck.

Devoid is cool but it should only be used for flavor reasons. Like @gaytransmulldrifter writes so well it isn’t a mechanic you can build anything meaningful around. But it can be used to tell a story without ruining the limited format!

There are some fun looking cards that are (obviously) pushed My favourites:

1717006789895.png

Power creep alert! Power creep alert!
1717008388523.png
Great colors for the persist combo. Artifact type usually adds a lot to a card too.
1717008447690.png

Enchantment type, aura for modified stuff, tokens and sacrifice synergies!
1717008511636.png

This one is going straight into my MP cube as another Impact Tremors
1717008668225.png

Attachments

• 1717008579937.png
    1717008579937.png
    216.7 KB · Views: 0
What I mean is that they are not colorless in the way that we understand what it means to be colorless in the context of a draft and deckbuilding perspective. They are not open picks that go into any color combination and you cannot cast them with any mana base.
So what?

I'm not going to act like Devoid is a huge deal, but "it's different than we're used to" isn't really an argument.

It's a colored card that's colorless. It's not that deep.

Power creep alert! Power creep alert!
1717008388523.png
Is this actually power creep? I’m pretty sure this dog is just worse than Fleecemane Lion.

Been thinking a lot about this card lately. It compares reasonably to these cards, which are both pretty reasonable in my environment and have been in and out over the years:

I don't support {c} at the moment. With the announcement of this set making Snow-Covered Wastes a thing, I have already added one of every art-unique Wastes to my basic land box, but I don't really have that many lands that tap for {c} besides them. I think it's neat to kind of add a sixth color, and it's been a dream I've had since my Cube's earliest days where WotC did actually make Purple exclusively for Planar Chaos and this kind of fits that niche of a "just barely supported sixth color" but, as I said earlier in this thread, it does bother me how there's not enough of a unique mechanical identity for it.

But I am interested. I like how well it works with artifacts, which my Cube has at equal proportion to any color. Which is why I'm also very tempted by:

Which is only getting better as I have more and more artifact token creatures. That said, I don't want people to think Big Eldrazi is a major theme of my Cube, since it's not. I do have one version of each of the three titans, and I'm not interested in any of the new ones printed here (if anything, if I had more colorless mana support, I'd trade out the OG Kozilek for Kozilek, the Great Distortion).

Null Elemental Blast is really cool too, but I don't necessarily want to do multicolor hate like that, since it's really more of a random hate effect a la protection from a color rather than punishing a specific strategy.

Last point on this. I love Inversion Behemoth. What a neat card that really feels wholly different than what any one color card could do. I don't think of it is a Cube card necessarily, at least not one for me, but I wish I could support it.

qI think it's neat to kind of add a sixth color, and it's been a dream I've had since my Cube's earliest days where WotC did actually make Purple exclusively for Planar Chaos and this kind of fits that niche of a "just barely supported sixth color" but, as I said earlier in this thread, it does bother me how there's not enough of a unique mechanical identity for it.

I have been thinking about this since you first mentioned it (in this thread) a few days ago.

And I agree it would be so awesome if specific colorless had exclusive access to some part of the color pie.

I think Wizards divided everything they could think of between the five colors (and perhaps also a bit to Guild and Shards) and had nothing left when Battle for Zendikar block with Oath of the Gatewatch came around.

The only thing I can think of is colorless has Eldrazi. But then we’re back on the ‘Are red devoid cards truly colorless’ talk.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1717085598555.png
Nest Invadest?

1717085618240.png
Is this the first 1 mana bite spell? Bit of additive distraction, but solid

1717085668884.png
Also probably a bit of additive distraction, but solid

1717085743710.png
This is probably too slow on its own but if there's other energy cards I am interested

1717085916020.png
We got devoid obliterating bolt for those who want it. Perfect for getting around protection from read (please don't make a cube where that's a relevant thing)

1717086017691.png
Huh, that's not bad! I run 3B night's whisper with affinity for artifacts and this is comparable on a value scale, plus also wears cranial plating/nettlecyst/cranial ram very nicely

1717086207590.png
Nontoken is nice here, and this is the first 2 mana fleshbag marauder I believe. Solid!

1717086308174.png
Much as I dislike the "an opponent controls" here instead of just letting this trigger be a may, it would be really funny for this trigger to get misdirected into the creature itself.

1717086419379.png
3/3 for 3 with a shield counter is a healthy baseline, and this has a nice amount of play to it.

magmarch.jpg

Exterminator Magmarch - {2}{B}{R}
Artifact Creature - Phyrexian Construct (Rare)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell that targets only a single nonland permanent an opponent controls, if another opponent controls one or more nonland permanents that spell could target, choose one of those permanents. Copy that spell. The copy targets the chosen permanent.
{1}{B}: Regenerate ~.
5/3

It's probably not good enough for my list, but boy, is it fun to get double Bolts and Doom Blades on your opponent's dudes. A very inspiring build-around, even if I'd rather not have my build-arounds at 4 mana with only 3 toughness. I love the art, I love the Phyrexian flavor, I even love getting regeneration on this; it makes it feel like a Rakdos Thrun that'll be really good at bashing face.......if it can survive for a turn.

EDIT: I WAS WRONG

IT REQUIRES ANOTHER OPPONENT TO HAVE A TARGET...it's multiplayer only??! Why was it designed like this :wagg:

Anyways...

sagehorn-nemesis.jpg

Sawhorn Nemesis - {3}{R}
Creature - Dinosaur (Rare)
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a player.
If a source would deal damage to the chosen player or a permanent they control, it deals double that damage instead.

Beautiful, beautiful!! It's the Torbran, Thane of Red Fell I've been waiting for.

While I loved Torbran and Cubed with him happily until just this year, I'm not really so hot on vocally supporting mono-red as a deck. This effectively does the same thing, but doesn't have a prohibitive mana cost and doesn't restrict you on color. My Gruul midrange decks are going to be so happy, and I'm thrilled to get another strong Dino for Intrepid Paleontologist.

Last edited: