Sets (MH3) Modern Horizons 3 Previews

Chris Taylor

Contributor
sagehorn-nemesis.jpg

Sawhorn Nemesis - {3}{R}
Creature - Dinosaur (Rare)
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a player.
If a source would deal damage to the chosen player or a permanent they control, it deals double that damage instead.

Beautiful, beautiful!! It's the Torbran, Thane of Red Fell I've been waiting for.

While I loved Torbran and Cubed with him happily until just this year, I'm not really so hot on vocally supporting mono-red as a deck. This effectively does the same thing, but doesn't have a prohibitive mana cost and doesn't restrict you on color. My Gruul midrange decks are going to be so happy, and I'm thrilled to get another strong Dino for Intrepid Paleontologist.
Okay if this translation is right, this is just a 1 sided furnace of rath, which we've mostly only gotten on players (See Curse of Bloodletting, Saskia the Unyielding), this also lets your bolts double damage to remove their stuff.

That is quite strong for a splashable "4/4" for 4.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The goyf deck does have some strong cards:
1717091752382.png
Good lord this says any target on it.

1717091766397.png
Goyf with LIFELINK for 3 mana, and an enabling combat damage trigger.

1717091800204.png
Also, weirdly, a card for if you thought Tarmogoyf was interesting but too cheap! :p (If you're willing to ignore a multiplayer mechanic)

I think the first two are too strong for me, but it's oddly refreshing for the "this is a commander card and it's clearly fucked up because of the shape of that format" cards to just be like, gigantic in a very straightforward way instead of Minsc and Boo, Timeless Heroes/True-name Nemesis/Intitive in general.

Huh, pretty cool that they're actual just tharmagoyf but with some added stuff. (Compare with e.g. the other Lhurgoyfs that count other kinds of things than card types in all yards)

1717086207590.png

Nontoken is nice here, and this is the first 2 mana fleshbag marauder I believe. Solid!
Very cool...2 mana is a lot more appealing for this effect.

1717091752382.png

Good lord this says any target on it.

Holy crap. This runs circles around FTK.

1717091766397.png

Goyf with LIFELINK for 3 mana, and an enabling combat damage trigger.

Super juiced. It's big, it's an engine, it self-enables.

Both Goyfs are probably a little too much for my cube....but I'm giving them a hard look!

I think in the average case scenario, Pyrogoyf is going to be about the same as Flametongue Kavu. A Kavu that doesn't kill itself on an empty board and can go to face? Nice. Has potential to be pretty bad when curving out, but I have a lot of GY support in my Cube.

Emotionally, I don't want to remove FTK. I don't think Pyrogoyf is enough better for me to swap it out, and I don't really know how much I need two of this kind of effect, but it's hard to understate its potential.

For me, then, the question is: do I like Sawhorn Nemesis more, or Pyrogoyf? Sawhorn Nemesis does something different than any card I have in my Cube currently, and I like how it goes off with power boosts and how explosive it can be with generally big dudes.

Pyrogoyf incentivizes graveyard-inclined midrange decks, my ideal situation for a drafter to end up in.

As a wise poet once said, "much to think about"

Honestly, I think the ability to go face places Pyrogoyf in a league of its own ahead of Flametongue Kavu. The ability to hit the opponent's face means it can close the game out of nowhere, and it can potentially deal a lot more than 4 damage. I would almost never consider playing Flametongue Kavu in anything approaching constructed power level at this point, but Pyrogoyf seems like a very easy include for virtually any Cube in that space.

I think Pyrogoyf may end up being this Commander set's Toxic Deluge or Death Greeter's Champion: a Commander card that's absolutely fantastic in normal games.

Honestly, I think the ability to go face places Pyrogoyf in a league of its own ahead of Flametongue Kavu. The ability to hit the opponent's face means it can close the game out of nowhere, and it can potentially deal a lot more than 4 damage. I would almost never consider playing Flametongue Kavu in anything approaching constructed power level at this point, but Pyrogoyf seems like a very easy include for virtually any Cube in that space.

I think Pyrogoyf may end up being this Commander set's Toxic Deluge or Death Greeter's Champion: a Commander card that's absolutely fantastic in normal games.

Going on my history of playing Tarmogoyf in Cube, it's really hard to get it bigger than 5 power. I agree the card is very strong, but even in a powered list, it's rarely going to be bigger than a 3/4 on curve without having a deck built around it. Dealing 4 power to an opposing creature is massive and the guarantee for it to deal that much is not something to be sneezed at, even in 2024.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Pyrogoyf ends up being one of the Cube staples of the set, but I just don't think it's worlds better than FTK, who holds up better than many give it credit for.

Are we really minimizing the Lhurgoyf kindred aspect here? But seriously, it seems very strong. Having more toughness, not killing itself on an empty board and going face are big upsides.
Add to that the fact you can optimize it during deck building and draft and it’s a cool card.
Not sure if I want that type of effect, but a lot cooler than the Kavu (minus the iconic factor).

Are we really minimizing the Lhurgoyf kindred aspect here? But seriously, it seems very strong. Having more toughness, not killing itself on an empty board and going face are big upsides.
Add to that the fact you can optimize it during deck building and draft and it’s a cool card.
Not sure if I want that type of effect, but a lot cooler than the Kavu (minus the iconic factor).
It's an FTK with graveyard mechanic, into my graveyard synergy cube you go!
:btg:

Thing is. Kavu is useless on an empty board. I think that the red goyf is way better when you have 3 or more types in the yard. Going after anything is a big, big plus.

This is way too big of an overhaul for me to bother doing it, but damn I want to play with this mechanic. Will probably have to be a custom card project instead, especially with the low density in green and black.

Low density in green? … Don’t sleep on Greenbelt Rampager, and especially Longtusk Cub. Primal Prayers can do funky things as well (plus is a fun combo with the Greenbelt Rampager).
Longtusk Cub is the kind of snowbally card I don't really like, and I'm kind of skeptical of the cube applications of Primal Prayers. tbh I don't really like the white 1-drop either, but it's new so I figured I'd throw it in.

Some other designs you missed that Might Be Cool:

And if you do make Energy.cube, bear in mind that Proliferate works really well with Energy.
Proliferate coincidentally works well with a lot of energy cards, but I don't think it's that great with the mechanic as a whole, I would say it scales a lot worse with counters on players than those on permanents, barring circumstances like poison in multiplayer games. You'd need some other incentives than just energy counters to want proliferate cards unless they're just baseline more powerful.

(And I didn't so much miss them as omit them, for whatever that is worth.)

I wouldn't be surprised either if Pyrogoyf ends up being one of the Cube staples of the set, but I just don't think it's worlds better than FTK, who holds up better than many give it credit for.

FTK is still solid, but Pyrogoyf is on a whole other level, IMO. Scalability, targeting anything, triggering off other Tarmogyofs, and getting double trigger from clone effects gives it a way higher ceiling than FTK. From a power level perspective, I think Caves of Chaos Adventurer / Pyrogoyf are easily red's two best 4-cmc creatures.

from Mark Rosewater's latest article, he shared an early MH3 design and I'm going to think about it for a long time, I think:

View attachment 9718
If I had a nickel for every time MaRo revealed a cool one-mana spell that was cut from the set blows all of the expensive cards that actually made it in out of the water, I would have two nickles, which isn’t a lot, but it’s weird that it happened twice!

thank god they did not print that card

I'm sure it would be fine for cube, but having two copies of it show up for the same player in the same tournament game with actual stakes would make that game take as long as any from the heyday of Sensei's Divining Top. I have no idea how it survived past the first talking-about-this-new-design session.

but upon reflection, I think I actually do know that, because also, that card would be fun as hell and I'd love to play with it and I'd be real fast with it and so would at least half of R&D...

Is it really broken? I doubt it's better than Brainstorm considering dredge 1 is far less dangerous than dredge 4+ and is also not crazy at filling your 'yard.

Or, wait. Could it dredge from it's own draw?