Sets (MH3) Modern Horizons 3 Previews

A bit slow and clunky, but if we're talking about the STOP, BOROS FUN POLICE side of things:

It's kinda weird that we don't get more Boros cards that are "distinctly white effect + distinctly red effect". Like, where's my Stone Rain that tutors up a Plains if villain still has more lands than me? Where's my Silence that also burns villain's face if they've cast a spell already this turn? Gimme a Boros equivalent of Claim to Fame!

EDIT: Just realized that Brad forgot another Lightning Helix lookalike:

Last edited:
View attachment 9642

Can't wait for Akloma, Arclanist, Klamahl, Jlareth and company to get their titans too.

This is awesome. Great for boros control and survives wildfire, comes back from the dead post wrath or balance…converts your instant speed blink and helping hands into lightning helixes….

I don’t know how many of the elder giants I would want in my cube (already run uro and kroxa), but Boros needs the most help so I think this will probably make the list

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think RW is probably the least self mill happy colors, so this is card probably is "least likely to escape" in their high school yearbook, but still cool. I'm more interested in the promise of other color combinations tbh

Hey, Brad, do you want a 9 drop that puts 19 power on the board and draws you two cards? Seems like a nice little guy.

Can even draw 4 cards if you want.

And I think this is almost always the correct option since it is halfway hand hate like Dirty Rat (Not the MtG card but the Hearthstone card) + it draws you additional 2 cards.

I'm still blown away by how clean these designs feel. Sure, there are 100-words-of-rules-text flipwalkers, but there's also really clean and bright designs everywhere you look. The Flare cycle is a Shohei Ohtani home-run, and having tried-and-failed to design my own free spells I'm particularly impressed by it, but I love the lhurgoyfs, I love the powerful yet broad energy stuff, the Eldrazi are largely really exciting to me (if only they'd been around for sharzad v3!), the gold 'punny' CD rares (psychic frog, wight of the reliquary), a new sol land, and there's still so much left of the set to see! I've been eagerly anticipating MH3 for Cube and I'm already so stoked.

Haven't been that hyped for spoiler season since ... quite some time. I am crossing my fingers for ...

• cheap white threats caring about noncreature spells, prowess or other (think Myth Realized)
• new cards with flashback costs significantly cheaper than their mana cost (like Roar of the Wurm)
• hybrid cards in a decent volume. Like what Clue Edition did with cards like Tribune of Rot but with the possibilities of a MH set
• new cards for under-represented abilities from the past few years. Stuff like incubate which was very cool but didn't get enough cards to make it into my cube
• still one cool green card with madness please. Would also take a blue one.

• Bonus: since we will get retro frame reprints from MH1&2, please give me Tireless Provitioner, Winding Way, Hard Evidence, Abiding Grace, Ore-Scale Guardian, Mirrodin Besieged, Sinister Starfish and Healer's Flock please

wiji01orgt1d1.png

(Can't seem to embed the image so hopefully posting a reddit link just works)

Don't think I'd run this, 6 mana is hefty for this effect, but excited to see this sort of effect return nonetheless. I actually still run

and really love it (Turn 3 Rotting Regisaur -> Turn 4 Disciple of Bolas post combat is a dopamine hit like no other). For how pushed everything has been in recent years I am actually pretty floored that Disciple of Freyalise cannot target herself. I can't imagine the floor of a 6 mana Draw3 / Gain3 would be too OP? Not sure. The MDFC land aspect of her is hard for me to judge effectively, but I like how her creature side negates the lifeloss of playing the land if land bouncing is on the menu (or you break singleton). It'd probably be more interesting in a lower power environment for sure.

Last edited:
Behold, the guy:

tricksterselk.jpg

A 3/3 for {2}{G} isn't a bad floor, but it's so dang versatile once you get past that. Turn your value 1-drop into a 3/3 beater that leaves a 3/3 behind when it dies! Upgrade a token in a similar fashion! Debuff villain's creatures by turning them into vanilla 3/3s that give you a 3/3 when they die! Profit!

mh3-emperor-of-bones-v0-o46b3l6fpz1d1.jpeg

This is wordy as hell, but looks really cool.

It's a self-contained +1/+1 counter engine that can pop off in the right deck. It triggers from both GYs, so stuff like hand hate, mill and removal will likely find you some targets. But you can also build your deck around it via discard outlets and self-mill.

Luminarch Aspirant
Collector's Cage
Rishkar, Peema Renegade
Bristly Bill, Spine Sower

Extra triggers on very playable cards.

Considering that the floor (a bear + GY hate) is perfectly acceptable and that the ceiling (reanimation piece every turn they don't kill it) can be quite high, I think this has potential!

mh3-emperor-of-bones-v0-o46b3l6fpz1d1.jpeg

This is wordy as hell, but looks really cool.

It's a self-contained +1/+1 counter engine that can pop off in the right deck. It triggers from both GYs, so stuff like hand hate, mill and removal will likely find you some targets. But you can also build your deck around it via discard outlets and self-mill.

Luminarch Aspirant
Collector's Cage
Rishkar, Peema Renegade
Bristly Bill, Spine Sower

Extra triggers on very playable cards.

Considering that the floor (a bear + GY hate) is perfectly acceptable and that the ceiling (reanimation piece every turn they don't kill it) can be quite high, I think this has potential!

Came in here to post this. Wordiness is my only knock against this card. I think it's strong even without additional counter support. It's like an Apprentice Necromancer that beats down. Perpetual exiling is big game in my cube. I think this has a strong chance at cracking my list.