Sets (MH3) Modern Horizons 3 Previews

mh3-emperor-of-bones-v0-o46b3l6fpz1d1.jpeg

This is wordy as hell, but looks really cool.

It's a self-contained +1/+1 counter engine that can pop off in the right deck. It triggers from both GYs, so stuff like hand hate, mill and removal will likely find you some targets. But you can also build your deck around it via discard outlets and self-mill.

Luminarch Aspirant
Collector's Cage
Rishkar, Peema Renegade
Bristly Bill, Spine Sower

Extra triggers on very playable cards.

Considering that the floor (a bear + GY hate) is perfectly acceptable and that the ceiling (reanimation piece every turn they don't kill it) can be quite high, I think this has potential!
So, a 4/4 on turn three with returning a creature to the field with haste but sac at the end…?
Well, that sounds quite strong.

landofMordor

Administrator
So, a 4/4 on turn three with returning a creature to the field with haste but sac at the end…?
Well, that sounds quite strong.
One balancing knob is that it’s unlikely that there will be many cards in the graveyard worth returning on turn 3. Like, yeah Modern-like cubes might have Grief and such to bring back, but the removal is so good that a 2-mana 2/2 is kinda risky. Whereas in Cubes where a turn 3 4/4 is scary, it’s unlikely that the Adapt will get much value.

For me the bummer is to print a whole cycle of hybrids in MH and then make them dfcs :/
I'm in the market for flip lands, I think. I'll only be going for lands, which will make understanding the back much easier. I'll be adding additional info to the front so that you don't even need to flip it to know what it does.

pathofannihilation.jpg

This seems pretty good in slower formats.

ampedraptor.jpg

This seems good in faster formats.

One nice thing about the new MDFC duals is that you can run them alongside the old etb tapped MDFC lands and run into minimum confusion because, hey, they're all spells that you can also play as a tapped land that supplies their colors.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Just because someone hasn't posted the 2 color MDFCs yet, here's my favorites: (All are 2 color taplands on the back)
1716433447963.png
Combat trick is a good situational card to be on one side of your land, and you can go giga big with this AND a double strike creature or effect.

1716433505149.png
I'm not sure BG is most where I'd want this, but 1 hybrid mana is so flexible you can put this in a ton of decks if the front side is something you want. Indestructible is not as foolproof as you'd hope thesedays, but still a great situational card to have on a tapland.

1716433578436.png
Reminds me of bushwack with with no shuffling. Lotta love for bushwack, I expect a lot of love for this.

1716433658854.png
This aint for me, I like my removal plentiful and powerful, but this is a great stallbreaker.

1716433707363.png
This is mechanically sometimes better than the land just having cycling, and a lot of people won't run this because of the non-self contained energy.

That being said, I love that these are back, and I'm pleasantly surprised the mono color ones have the option of entering untapped, that's real nice.
On the other hand Bojuka Boggart is fighting Wight of the Reliquary and Frogmyr Enforcer for dumbest cardname in the set :p

1716433888387.png1716433914992.png
Disenchant has been eating goooooood recently! Between these two and Requisition Raid there's some sweet options now.

1716434166930.png
Okay obviously you need to be a certain kind of cube to want this, but if you are, I think this thing is legitimately awesome. That's a sick payoff.

1716433447963.png

Combat trick is a good situational card to be on one side of your land, and you can go giga big with this AND a double strike creature or effect.

1716433505149.png

I'm not sure BG is most where I'd want this, but 1 hybrid mana is so flexible you can put this in a ton of decks if the front side is something you want. Indestructible is not as foolproof as you'd hope thesedays, but still a great situational card to have on a tapland.

1716433578436.png

Reminds me of bushwack with with no shuffling. Lotta love for bushwack, I expect a lot of love for this.
I'm a fan of these three and the U/B one, but the rest seem pretty tailor-made to the limited environment. I wouldn't be surprised if the U/G one ends up seeing play in some l0w-powered Cubes supporting Blink.

I love this card! Main-deckable artifact and enchantment hate is hard to come by, but the fact that this protects a creature from removal makes me think this is pretty good!

1716434166930.png

Okay obviously you need to be a certain kind of cube to want this, but if you are, I think this thing is legitimately awesome. That's a sick payoff.
Call me jaded, but if this is the best {c} matters card in the set, I don't think it pushes the archetype into being viable in non-eldrazi environments.

I am happy they're doing spawn stuff again here though. R/G Spawn looks like it could be a real archetype in Pauper and Peasant Cube after this!

Hybrid dual-flipland DFCs are perfect for my Peasant cube, but I will echo the sentiment that these cards could have done without Energy.

Honestly, I think they've got enough "tech" on them already. It kind of reminds me of the cycle of 3-color split-hybrids from Mumbles at Murdoc Manor where one half of one card in the cycle allows you to turn a card face-up. Like: why? Just cut that part. Having hybrid costs across three colors across two cards on a single card is enough to think about.

If they absolutely must reference energy in order to keep MH3's energy as-fan dense enough, just let the cards provide a little energy and promise a high ceiling (like Amped Raptor), rather than relying on the player to have an existing energy pool.

Anyway, I'm still going to run at least 5 of these.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1716478195609.png
These are all boltlands on the back, a la Shatterskull, the Hammer Pass.
Also: There's more than just 5 of these! That's 2 white ones confirmed!
The red one is a bit goofy in that it's ghost quarter but also falter so maybe you just die?
Big fan of the simplicity of the black one over Hagra Mauling, your mileage may vary. Razorgrass Ambush is REAL close to Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire with about a quarter of the text, so I'll call that a win.

Also I'm in LOVE:
1716478456505.png
Hey you want a flexible creatureland? Hey you want a PLANESWALKERLAND?
I'm so in :D

1716481370590.png

I have to decide after spoiler season whether or not I want some energy cards in my cube or not. But I like this one, probably too much. Six is a lot.

I feel you :oops: I did an entire update last year to remove all DFC's from my cube, because I decided they aren't worth the hassle.

I can repeat myself to you :p

DFCs are awesome. And they are here to stay. I suggest you embrace them. It’ll be good for your cube.

I am, however, not taking my own advice on Universes Beyond :p They are here to stay but I will not embrace them haha

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I can repeat myself to you :p

DFCs are awesome. And they are here to stay. I suggest you embrace them. It’ll be good for your cube.

I am, however, not taking my own advice on Universes Beyond :p They are here to stay but I will not embrace them haha
I cooled down a lot on DFC's after having them in my cube for years. That is to say, I don't like the logistics of them. Either you have to de- and resleeve them whenever they flip (and then back when they die or the game ends), or you have to have the actual DFC's in the token box and use proxies during the draft (this is the method I used for the longest time). I think tokens are enough of a hassle already. The only DFC's I really miss are Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Legion's Landing, and I made special single faced custom cards to sort of replace them.

Reactions: jms
Yeah, drafting with DFCs has been worse than expected. I've went down the same route as Onde, I've used to cube double faced cards for years, but you always had the situation that someone would unsleeve a card during draft to check the back, sometimes giving away crucial information about the color or theme they are interested in. Just not worth it. And when I went through the list to find replacements for all my DFCs, it was easier then expected.

That’s fair. I like them and am very happy we’ll see them more and more.

We’re also not many months away from Battles coming back to be a big part of the game.