Sets (MH3) Modern Horizons 3 Previews

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Are they serious? A simple Shuko gives you two Coiling Oracle triggers per turn for EACH CREATURE you control. Ridiculous.

Oh, but of course such a powerful effect comes with a risk, right? What's the ... wait, wtf, your absolute failcase is a 3-mana 3/4 FLIER that draws you a card when they try to kill it?

Sometimes I hate modern design.
Every time I read this card I notice more things. At first I didn't notice it triggered off abilities, so I guess the "twice a turn" (still hate that) is to stop nomads en-kor sheninigans, but now I've also noticed it triggers off opponents stuff too. It looks like a heroic style card!

Agreed, this thing is extremely silly :p

Also:
1716579024479.png
So fractured identity is a bit over the curve for most cubes I've seen. This makes you spend the mana to get their thing, and you might not be able to, but you can if you have colorless lands OR if you happen to be in the right colors compared to them.
That's all pretty interesting stuff, but at an already really high baseline. If you thought fractured identity was juuuuust over the line for you, try this out.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You might want to give this card another read through as well.
"You can spend colorless mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell."

Surely this means you can spend non-colorless mana to just, cast the spell right? There's no way this is templated that poorly

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
"You can spend colorless mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell."

Surely this means you can spend non-colorless mana to just, cast the spell right? There's no way this is templated that poorly
I think you are right. You can spend colored mana normally, and colorless mana as though it were any color.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I feel like the word "only" needs to be in there somewhere if you need to spend CCC to cast a 3 drop with this thing. (or at least I hope so)
Still, yeesh.

Are they serious? A simple Shuko gives you two Coiling Oracle triggers per turn for EACH CREATURE you control. Ridiculous.

Oh, but of course such a powerful effect comes with a risk, right? What's the ... wait, wtf, your absolute failcase is a 3-mana 3/4 FLIER that draws you a card when they try to kill it?

Sometimes I hate modern design.
Considering the fact that this card is only going to be legal in Modern and the other eternal formats, it really has to be pushed to have any chance of being playable. This isn’t a case of modern design being bad and more of Modern the format being too powerful for an “average” good card to do anything.

charitablelevy.jpg

There is a part of me that thirsts for this nonsense.

gleamingfleshwarper.jpg

Gleaming Fleshwarper - {2}{c}
Creature - Eldrazi Drone
Whenever you cast a colorless spell, create an Eldrazi Spawn token.
Whenever another colorless creature enters the battlefield under your control, ~ deals 1 damage to each opponent.
2/2

This seems... pretty good? You get 1-2 free damage per colorless spell and get some ramp off of it.

wastecapebattlemage.jpg

Wastescape Battlemage - {1}{c}
Creature - Eldrazi Wizard
Kicker {G}, Kicker {1}{U}
When you cast ~, if its {G} kicker cost was paid, exile target artifact or enchantment an opponent controls.
When you cast ~, if its {1}{U} kicker cost was paid, return target creature an opponent controls to its owner's hand.
2/2

This little guy is a pretty deep cut and also feels like it was tailor made for one of my cubes. The real question is how I should classify it color-wise...

(To explain the issue, I have an idea for a project where all of the "gold" cards are actually just mono-colored cards with off-color kickers/adventures/etc. Cards like Ghitu Amplifier where paying for the extra color won't come up very often are treated as if they were mono-colored for spreadsheet purposes, whereas cards like Balduvian Atrocity where the second part is the main draw are the actual "gold" cards.

So, you're only going to draft this guy if you can kick it... is it Blue, Green, or Simic?)

Birthing-Ritual-400x559.webp

Triggering at end step rather than upkeep is pretty significant. X or less makes this way less limited than Pod. This seems really really good

This has been one of the toughest cards to evaluate (without yet playing it). I suspect it will be more fun than Pod because looking at the top seven is less deterministic and X or less is more flexible. The fact that you don't search you deck/it's less deterministic makes it weaker than Pod, but it can also come online more quickly and without the cost of life.

I don't think it eats Pod's lunch, but Collected Company showed that there's plenty of design space around which a card like this can be powerful.

This has been one of the toughest cards to evaluate (without yet playing it). I suspect it will be more fun than Pod because looking at the top seven is less deterministic and X or less is more flexible. The fact that you don't search you deck/it's less deterministic makes it weaker than Pod, but it can also come online more quickly and without the cost of life.

I don't think it eats Pod's lunch, but Collected Company showed that there's plenty of design space around which a card like this can be powerful.

definitely feels like more of a value play…whereas pod more easily assembles a combo. I think ritual will be appealing to more cube archetypes than pod

but looking at the top ~25% of your deck is pretty dang good

definitely feels like more of a value play…whereas pod more easily assembles a combo. I think ritual will be appealing to more cube archetypes than pod

but looking at the top ~25% of your deck is pretty dang good

It’s more like top ~25% of your library for most of Riptide cubes I would say. Although now I want to think about what options there are for making cube tournaments with fewer cards in decks :p

Joining the long line of cards with the same name as a Magic expansion is Aether Revolt and it is (as always) thematic to the set it shares a name with. Bravo Wizards clap clap!

This set feels like an AER BFZ custom cube.

There's a LOT of low quality leaks on r/MTGrumors, by the way. I don't feel like resizing to post here.

Energy looking more appealing daily.

I might run Colossal Dreadmask. It's what you think it is...

Yeah all three Horizons sets have that lazy custom card feel to them with cards like..

, , , , , , , , , , , , , and

..where they just took an old classic card and modernized it or maybe even mashed two together. Just to obsolete an old fan favorite card or to bring a card too strong into Modern in some tweaked version. These cards feel like pretty cleanly designed versions of the very first custom cards I was making when I was a child before Magic Set Editor existed.

But Horizons sets are also quite cool in the way they find many creative ways to combine mechanics from different planes. Too many examples to mention them all here.

And I kind of like how true they stay to their lore in these sets also. Even though they are not progressing the story.

MH3 has made me a bigger fan than I previously was.

Last edited:
This set feels like an AER BFZ custom cube.

There's a LOT of low quality leaks on r/MTGrumors, by the way. I don't feel like resizing to post here.

Energy looking more appealing daily.

I might run Colossal Dreadmask. It's what you think it is...
One of the cards from the leaks that cought my eye is this glorious bread and butter amalgamation of:

(I might be exaggerating a bit, but I love it next to Winding Way in my cube.)

Screenshot_20240525-102123.jpg

Last edited:
I am probably going to run Malevolent Rumble over Winding Way. It doesn't have the high roll potential of the latter, but it offers you a little more card selection and the Spawn token is huge, because it can help you ramp.