Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

What thread is this?

How's

doing? I can't tell how good flashing it in during combat is.

At the beginning of spoiler season I was planning to include it 100%, replacing Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle, a cute pet card that doesn't get picked highly, but has been able to do some work.

Then Yoshimaru, Ever Faithful got spoiled, and I was able to justify continued historic support, which is more interesting trinket text than a 5c ability that will only deter the people who would otherwise want it.

I don't think Kyodai is bad at anything but the most cutthroat of power levels, but the dragon also suffers from the problem that a lot of combat tricks do in cube -- blow outs in creature combat only go so far when nearly every card in your deck is meaningful, and it's hard to be secretive at 4 MV.

Also, I don't really like either art for it, which would've made me reconsider probably ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually like Kyodai better from a protection angle than resto: keeping the creature in play is better for growing threats, as opposed to resto which will reset your Champion of the Parish (for eg) back down to size, and I don't run blink so it fits in better with the archetypes I've got.

Take care with your removal, as in alchemy right now between meathook massacre and how much exile removal there is running around indestructible is a LOT worse than it looks, and you might accidentally be in the same position.

I'm still running resto FWIW

Also, I don't really like either art for it, which would've made me reconsider probably ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do the third option.
0jLpImN.png

I was gonna make a version with Blue-Eyes White Dragon as the art, but I completely scrapped basic MTG frames for Pokemon frames in my MSE lol.

Reactions: dbs
No, but I was considering him. I've always thought that cards like this just needed a keyword or two to be viable, and this sure is. Maybe there's something cute to be done with Memnite? It seems tricky to have a deck that both modifies creatures and cares about recursion while wanting to attack with a midsized creature.

i’m a little cool on him, the card is hella win more in high removal density environment. can definitely break a board stall wide open though, so if you’re on stuff like Song of Freyalise you could get some big returns here.
i think 2 is probably the sweet spot for the ability trigger in terms of “this gives good value” vs “this is actually doable” ?
because if he can only grab 1 drops why am i not just running Abiding Grace?

I don't think this is a hot take at all, drafting this set has felt less like playing a retail booster draft and more like playing a Cube. They did a really good job of layering the archetypes and keeping the format open-ended while still having very in-depth synergy decks.

I've finally gotten some decent MTGA drafts in, and I'm inclined to agree that this is a really great set to draft. The archetypes can blend together in many ways, and drafting and deck building decisions are interesting and challenging.

I think they've found a solution to a fundamental flaw of the game by giving a bunch of the creatures the enchantments or artifact type. It's two problems, really. A) Disenchant effects are a part of the game, but they're typically relegated to a sideboard role. This is fixed in this format. B) Colors that can't interact with enchantments or artifacts as well can still deal with creatures. Overall it's pretty interesting to have artifact creatures and enchantment creatures, because in this format those types add both advantages and vulnerabilities. The overall effect is that players have more interesting decisions to make, more options, and more ability to interact.

After this set, I can envision a future where enchantment themes in cubes could work out well.

I don't hate the double faced creature sagas. I wouldn't want to mess with them in a regular paper cube, but in retail draft they aren't so bad since the player only has to get used to the cards in this one set.

I hadn't played with Ninjutsu since original Kamigawa was in standard, and I'm pleasantly surprised by what a great mechanic it is. It just works well with a bunch of things that are already part of the game - evasion, ETB effects, effects that remove blockers, and so on. The opponent can interact with it by doing stuff they normally do: play creatures, play removal. The effects of getting a ninja through are helpful but not back breaking. I like it.

Reconfigure is awesome. I hope they make more equipment like this in the future.

Hopefully some great set cubes emerge for this set!

I've finally gotten some decent MTGA drafts in, and I'm inclined to agree that this is a really great set to draft. The archetypes can blend together in many ways, and drafting and deck building decisions are interesting and challenging.

I think they've found a solution to a fundamental flaw of the game by giving a bunch of the creatures the enchantments or artifact type. It's two problems, really. A) Disenchant effects are a part of the game, but they're typically relegated to a sideboard role. This is fixed in this format. B) Colors that can't interact with enchantments or artifacts as well can still deal with creatures. Overall it's pretty interesting to have artifact creatures and enchantment creatures, because in this format those types add both advantages and vulnerabilities. The overall effect is that players have more interesting decisions to make, more options, and more ability to interact.

After this set, I can envision a future where enchantment themes in cubes could work out well.

I don't hate the double faced creature sagas. I wouldn't want to mess with them in a regular paper cube, but in retail draft they aren't so bad since the player only has to get used to the cards in this one set.

I hadn't played with Ninjutsu since original Kamigawa was in standard, and I'm pleasantly surprised by what a great mechanic it is. It just works well with a bunch of things that are already part of the game - evasion, ETB effects, effects that remove blockers, and so on. The opponent can interact with it by doing stuff they normally do: play creatures, play removal. The effects of getting a ninja through are helpful but not back breaking. I like it.

Reconfigure is awesome. I hope they make more equipment like this in the future.

Hopefully some great set cubes emerge for this set!
did you say… NEO set cube?