General Non Blue Control in Cube

I agree. WBR control is probably the only viable non-blue control archetype here, thanks in no small part to its army of planeswalkers. Olivia Voldaren helps, too!

I fully agree. The planeswalker options coupled with strong spot and mass removal make WB and WBR control possible.
I've recently moved Spike Jester to make room for Olivia. I felt that I had enough red and black aggro 2-drops already and also wanted to support control outside of blue and she does a great job at it (as long as you had the mana to support her).

Vampire Nighthawk and Exalted Angel are awesome creatures for WB control as they come down early enough to fend off attackers and start keep your life total at healthy levels. I'd love to see another strong 3-drop with Lifelink for either W or B soon though!

I am totally missing olivia right now! Now theres a reason to go into big red / black right?
Shes a real backbreaker but think about all the time you have to sink into that jerk? Your biggest tool with that chick is how threatening her ability is but if your opponent trusts their deck they can play pretty proactively against her and not feel too far behind. I guess she makes attacking 2/1 decks with bad removal feel pretty bad though.

Nighthawk is climbing my list of picks like a rocket. In cubes that are more about attacking and less about synergy it's really one of my favourite cards. It only helps the case that all black's gas seems to cost life these days. I think I'm playing too much peasant and modern cube where you feel like your life total is more of an issue. I miss getting really ambitious with Skeletal Scrying.

I like RWB, I just want more gas. I guess black kinda does that and white and red help with modifying life totals. Anyone ever play a GWR super friends? or a sylvan library / top 3 colour control deck? Anyone want to extol the virtues of harmonize or krosan tusker?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've doubled up on sylvan library and it was so sweet! (Other than explaining to people what sylvan library does)

I kinda just wanna give it cube errata thats says: Instead of your draw step: Brainstorm. I'm pretty sure that kinda selection would help people like green control.

What about this guy?

Propaganda effects have been super miserable in cube in my experience, but I think cumulative upkeep might keep this one fair. Shame it's racist though

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Anyone ever play a GWR super friends? or a sylvan library / top 3 colour control deck? Anyone want to extol the virtues of harmonize or krosan tusker?

I dunno, I had Harmonize for a while here, and it was nothing but underwhelming. Concentrate never really excited anyone, and color-shifting it because green is poor in pure draw still doesn't get the juices flowing. The problem is mostly that it's slow, and taking up your whole fourth turn to do something that doesn't affect the board will either get you killed against aggro, or make you fall way behind against a control planeswalker. Primal Command is also durdly as heck, but it at least buys you some tempo by gaining seven life when you're behind, or doing half of a Plow Under when you're ahead.

i have harmonize / concentrate as a hybrid card, i love the card but yeah its not great.
i also love sylvan library, i'm not sure it needs a buff like that though, but i guess it doesnt let you draw extra cards anymore

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Am I the only one that likes playing cards with their actual Oracle text?

A few of my buddies play with pre-m10 rules (damage on the stack, mana burn, etc)

All my non-custom cards use oracle text, FWIW. Sylvan Library in my cube is still sylvan library, but I do wish I didn't have to spend 45 seconds telling people what a card printed in english does

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Oh, for drawing cards outside of blue, this kind of does that...

I tried to make this work in Standard right after rotation, when I foolishly thought 'Big Red splash Ajani Vengeant' could be a deck. It took about all of thirty seconds for Bloodbraid Elf into Blightning to show me it wasn't gonna happen.

But hey, look! Card draw! ...Yeah!

that thing is too slow

its often listed as an "edh stapl"e but honestly i dont even think its great in that format either

btw i played a mostly red + loam + sylvan library controlly deck in the last draft i did if i get around to finishing my script to take card names in > spit photobucket urls out i will put the deck on here but life is hard w/ custom cards

CML

Contributor
These custom cards really are the coolest, I guess I don't get a few of the more trivial adjustments, though, like Goblin Welder having a cuter tribe.

The art also suggests a new minimalist / geometric direction for MTG art

These custom cards really are the coolest, I guess I don't get a few of the more trivial adjustments, though, like Goblin Welder having a cuter tribe.

The art also suggests a new minimalist / geometric direction for MTG art
thanks

it has more to do w/ some of the cards caring about tribal and cutting all the unsupported tribes (goblins being unsupported)

haha, eventually me and the other cube designer (i still can't get him to come post here) get around to putting art on all the cards

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
is this effect ever cubeable? not involving any scepters. what if it was stapled onto something else? (ex. render silent but not a shitty 3 mana multicolor counterspell)

There was this total twatcannon that came to a local M14 Draft FNM. During a game an opponent cast a spell, and in response he casts Silence and claims that it counters the spell. Everybody there is saying that doesn't work like that, so he goes to his car and pulls out a printed and bound copy of the MtG Comprehensive rules! Then he points to some random-ass rule that has nothing to do with the game-state in question, and gets into a 10 minute debate with the L2 Judge who happens to be there.

Then, after the draft the store owner gives him the prize packs to take downstairs for the rare redraft, and the motherfucker pockets them!

To top it all off he tracks down the Judge (who at the time was playtesting Modern with me) and argues with him for an additional 20 minutes on the Silence ruling.

So no, don't put these in your cube because they'll just make me angry.

Like seriously, he thought they just printed a one-mana white Counterspell that shuts them out of the rest of their turn?

CML

Contributor
The printing of Ugin has dramatically reduced the power level of the format. No longer can you just Whip everyone into submission, so it becomes a race to see who can find the most powerful thing that doesn't get Ugin'ed. Outpost Siege is a great idea, the Abzan deck and the G/W deck with Mastery basically just for Ugin are attempts to do this as well. It has probably increased the format diversity since Abzan Whip was obviously OP. I haven't a clue what to play for the PT but Atarka's Command is something I could get it up for.

there's a few others from the new sets that would fit in, in this thread, or cards i just didn't think about

The printing of Ugin has dramatically reduced the power level of the format. No longer can you just Whip everyone into submission, so it becomes a race to see who can find the most powerful thing that doesn't get Ugin'ed. Outpost Siege is a great idea, the Abzan deck and the G/W deck with Mastery basically just for Ugin are attempts to do this as well. It has probably increased the format diversity since Abzan Whip was obviously OP. I haven't a clue what to play for the PT but Atarka's Command is something I could get it up for.
uhh
that's cool but i was more saying these cards that are doing good in standard have a connection to this cubing thread

CML

Contributor
o i dunno they're fine. siege is great of course, and goes very well with the gravecrawler theme in addition to howling mine mode. soulfire is kind of a piece of crap but it's like a less variant Isochron Scepter and i don't mind locks in Cube, if someone gets them then congrats (though this one might be too easy). ugin is sweet. perilous vault is too slow and expensive for what it does in high powered cubes. the gold cards aren't really worth it. doomwake doesn't do much (consider what a weird format it was when it dominated). green eidolon is great, especially now that there are more enchantments (the sieges are way sweeter than any enchantments in the enchantment block). crater's claws is surprisingly dull. tasigur is sweet.

mainly interested in people's impressions of

there's a few others from the new sets that would fit in, in this thread, or cards i just didn't think about

I might try double Smokestack. Tasigur and Reclamation Sage are home runs. I'm pushing a durdly artifact theme kinda hard, but jury is still out on Daretti. I know CML hates him...my first impression was positive, but he's so slow that I think CML is probably right.