Sets [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch Spoiler Thread

I like Sylvan Advocate or Jori-En (who I can't help reading as Jor-El, and my superman knowledge isnt' good enough to confirm if that's even a real kryptonian or one I've made up in my head)

Hey, guys, if you wanted to see a Spoiler Spotlight on one card, which one would it be?

Wastes.
I'm not kidding, I think it would be very interesting to explore the pros and cons of making these available, and if so how (land station as opposed to somehow drafting them).

See, I wanna like it 2, since 2/3 for 2 is one of my favorite little vanilla dorks, but part of me wonders weather I like this card because it's blatantly powerful in ways I'm not sure my cube needs (Like for Eg, I planned on adding all 10 manlands once this set came out once I found out they were finishing the cycle. But I'm also noticing that that's leading to a lot of onboard complexity, and that I should probably cut it back to the ones I had in originally.) or weather it's actually a sweet card.

Yeah, I could see that making it difficult. I'm not planning to run any dual manlands anytime soon, but I do run Faerie Conclave, Treetop Village, Mutavault, four Mishra's Factory's, plus three Blinkmoth Nexus' and Ghitu Encampment in the ULD.

th

Is it just me, or would this have been perfect at one less mana wherever there's a cost?
Like:

Seer's Pendant {2}
{T}: Add <> to your mana pool.
{1}, {T}: Scry 1.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
th

Is it just me, or would this have been perfect at one less mana wherever there's a cost?
Like:

Seer's Pendant {2}

That design looks to be better than Mind Stone over the course of a long game. They probably wanted the card to be a common for Limited purposes, and printing that design at common would have been fairly busted in draft I think.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
th

Like:

Seer's Pendant {2}

That would have been a pretty good mana rock. Personally I'm high on 3+ mana rocks nowadays, because colorless ramp poops on a defining part of green's color pie. I would have loved this card if they dropped the activation cost on the scry though.

Seer's Pendant {3}
{T}: Scry 1.

Or maybe even combine it. Why not?

Seer's Pendant {3}
{T}: Add <> to your mana pool. Scry 1.

Valid point Jason, but I was only thinking about cube, not limited. I get why they did it this way though. I think "a little better than Mind Stone after >X turns" isn't necessarily a bad thing. I suppose it could be some sort of mind stone analogy, too:

Seer's Pendant {2}
{1}, {T}, Sacrifice Seer's Pendant: Scry 2.

I guess deep down it really is because the Scry cost is so high like Onderzeeboot said. Really wish even that part was a ({1}, {T}:) at the very least.

Seer's Lantern is kinda alright and I wouldn't fault anyone for cubing it but I just want to point out to anyone interested in colourless scry that Crystal Ball is a pretty cool little thingie I've been running for a while. I think the cheaper activation cost and higher scry number is probably more valuable and more fun than tapping for mana most of the time unless you're hard-pressed to increase the number of colourless mana producers for your new Eldrazi includes. But maybe not. I dunno. I guess it depends... (I just woke up excuse this garbage post)

That flavor text is a win :)

Jeez I re-read it and now I know I'm going to groan at a thousand elephant puns over the next couple months.

Lantern is at this weird spot between a good scrying artifact and a good mana rock where it's like... ok... as either but I'm not really excited to play either mode. As stupid as it is, I'm more excited to add it to my "foil lanterns" collection. MTG has done weird things to me.

Blue getting a giant growth for their awakened lands is a neat touch. The card is still likely only sideboard material, but it's still cool in my book.

I'm probably more likely to be turning their giant eldrazi into elephants, blocking and killing them than having it sit in the sideboard. Or alternatively turning my eldrazi spawn into elephants to block and kill allies. Or surprise block their flyer or unblockable creature etc. etc.

Soooo... UG flash anyone? :p

Dimensional Infiltrator
1{U}
Devoid (This card has no color.)
Flash, flying
1◊: Exile the top card of target opponent's library. If it's a land card, you may return Dimensional Infiltrator to its owner's hand.
2/1

Soooo... UG flash anyone? :p

Dimensional Infiltrator
1{U}
Devoid (This card has no color.)
Flash, flying
1◊: Exile the top card of target opponent's library. If it's a land card, you may return Dimensional Infiltrator to its owner's hand.
2/1

I can't even decide how I feel about this.
I mean, it's a decent 2-drop to sting your opponent with in a Ux tempo deck. But I can't really say if that activated ability can be relevant or if it is basically flavour text. You need to have a colourless mana source, and even then you have <50% chance to save your dude from removal (assuming that the exile part is not going to be particularly useful in the average cube - it sure isn't in mine). Meh.