Sets (PIP) Fallout Commander Previews

You can say it will leave the players with more feels-bad moment for sure when the card cannot be played.
Why? Just sac it after your draw. if you cannot play it, then it is most of the times better since you would likely not be able to play it when you draw it next turn.

Why? Just sac it after your draw. if you cannot play it, then it is most of the times better since you would likely not be able to play it when you draw it next turn.

Because sometimes you will not be able to cast the card. Maybe it’s a combat trick or a counterspell. Or too expensive. Many options.

Because sometimes you will not be able to cast the card. Maybe it’s a combat trick or a counterspell. Or too expensive. Many options.
Many? Combat tricks can be used in your attack, counterspell is, as much as I like to taste the salt of my opponents to see their plan thwarted, not something I cry about when I do not draw it.
It feels like junk suffers from the same fate as self mill. It is hard to see a great card go, but mill is random, so technically it should not matter.

I agree that junking an answer card not usable now is a waste, but all the times you hit something useful will outweigh that. It seems that junk suffers from the loss aversion fallacy. What the heck is the loss aversion fallacy? Well, this fallacy is that losing feels much more painful than winning, e.g., a certain amount money. This fallacy is ridiculously strong, like one should win twice as much than losing for equal feeling. How does this translate? Well, for every flunked junk you desire two successful ones. Add in the fact that the successful junks are like phyrexian arena, which is not the card that wins the game, but it actually is the card that wins the game, and you are there.

Comparing it to phyrexian arena pretty effectively explains why you'd feel bad about whiffing. You invested resources into getting the junk, and the delta between drawing an extra card and not doing so, or having to use a spell sub-optimally to get that benefit, is pretty significant. It very obviously does matter.

Many? Combat tricks can be used in your attack, counterspell is, as much as I like to taste the salt of my opponents to see their plan thwarted, not something I cry about when I do not draw it.

Not really relevant though.

It is going to lead to more feels-bad moments than the others like Clue or Treasures. That’s a fact. I’m not saying if this is good or bad or anything else. Just that some players will sometimes have a feel-bad moment because of the nature of the design.

The thing is that yes you will have feel bads. However, a clue cost two mana. How many times will you lose the game due to this mana investment? Does that make you feel bad or is it that you kinda fool yourself and does that not make you feel bad?

I don’t totally disagree with you @Rusje

The expected outcome of paying {2} and sacrifice Clue is to draw a card. This will almost never leave the player disappointed because the card will al ost always be drawn.

The expected outcome of Junk is much more varied and thus will leave to more feels-bad moments. Because sometimes the player will not be able to/find it a good idea to play the card. They have hope taken away from them.

The expected outcome of Junk is much more varied and thus will leave to more feels-bad moments. Because sometimes the player will not be able to/find it a good idea to play the card. They have hope taken away from them.
The thing is: one knows when cracking the junk it could lead to not being able to use that card. If one goes into it without this expectation, then that one is fooling him/her/it/whatever self.

I know that when one needs a land from the deck and draws a non-land card during the regular draw that it sucks. The thing is, you had a probability of drawing a land, and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don’t. That’s what the game of chance does. Similarly, one can play to its outs but due to bad luck not get there. Did you make a mistake? No, you were just unlucky.

The thing is: one knows when cracking the junk it could lead to not being able to use that card. If one goes into it without this expectation, then that one is fooling him/her/it/whatever self.

I know that when one needs a land from the deck and draws a non-land card during the regular draw that it sucks. The thing is, you had a probability of drawing a land, and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don’t. That’s what the game of chance does. Similarly, one can play to its outs but due to bad luck not get there. Did you make a mistake? No, you were just unlucky.

Again, none of that is relevant to the feeling that the average player will experience if they don’t have the knowledge that we have on Riptide. Imagine you are an Arena player and not @Rusje. Imagine you exile Slip out the Back pre combat. Or imagine you exile the only card in your deck that is too expensive to cast. Or imagine you exile a counter spell.

Comparing it to phyrexian arena pretty effectively explains why you'd feel bad about whiffing. You invested resources into getting the junk, and the delta between drawing an extra card and not doing so, or having to use a spell sub-optimally to get that benefit, is pretty significant. It very obviously does matter.

Correct. And well explained.
It doesn’t matter that it is a fallacy to the average player. It can feel bad.

I think it will be a nice addition to the game. Sad about the naming because it’s restricting it to real world items.
I don't know if I agree with this - I think a Rummaging Goblin could absolutely love a pile of Junk, for instance. Obviously Wall of Junk is really old, but we've had the word junk in flavor text a few times relatively recently. Probably restricts us to some flavor environments, but the average Ravnican would instictively know what Junk is even if the average citizen of Ixalan or Kaldheim wouldn't, right?

veronicadissidentscribe.jpg
nickvalentineprivateeye.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1708476568545.png
Brotherhood Outcast 2W
Creature - Human Soldier
When Brotherhood Outcast enters the battlefield, choose one -
* Return target aura or equipment with mana value 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield
* Put a shield counter on target creature
3/2

Not half bad!

1708476635699.png
Check out the red Pest Infestation

Brotherhood Outcast is sick. Gross with Nettlecyst. Strong but fair outside of that, I think.

As someone who has an artifact list kicking around in the background of my considerations, I struggle more and more every set.

Yes, let's hope the BG land is on the way, either in this product or another random product soon. I anticipate that these will get reprinted in a regular frame in commander decks before long, and that's when I will pick these up. No UB frames for me. But I like collecting one of each rare dual land. Which is dumb since I won't ever use half of them.

Mysterious-Stranger-PIP-672.jpg

The Mysterious Stranger has shown up!!!

What I like:
If both you and your opponent have an instant or sorcery in your graveyards, it's basically red Snapcaster Mage :pogchimp:

What I don't like:

My playgroup hasn't been half as excited as me about Wildfire Devils and it was never been played during the ~year I tested it out.

The Verdict?

Probably not good/consistent enough and will lead to lots of feel-bad. Will test.

View attachment 9300

The Mysterious Stranger has shown up!!!

What I like:
If both you and your opponent have an instant or sorcery in your graveyards, it's basically red Snapcaster Mage :pogchimp:

What I don't like:

My playgroup hasn't been half as excited as me about Wildfire Devils and it was never been played during the ~year I tested it out.

The Verdict?

Probably not good/consistent enough and will lead to lots of feel-bad. Will test.

There goes that “No gun” policy that was so important to Wizards.