General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

it seems like its either pretty eh or just the absolute nuts, if you're okay with cards like that, then that's fine

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Glibness aside, Cipher is another one of those mechanics which a huge huge upside which makes it hard to balance.

Say for example we have a cruel edict with cipher. How much should it cost?
Well, it's an edict, so it'll cost at least 2. Cipher probably adds some mana, but how much? What should it cost?

{B}{B}{4}. Yes, I'm not joking. Maybe {B}{B}{B}{4} just because it would be so miserable for limited. Suddenly Undercity Plague is looking a little more fair.

For any given cipher spell, you need to balance around it happening twice now, and then once again for every turn thereafter.
So even something as simple as "draw a card" has to be balanced as if it were "Honden of Seeing Winds + Divination" because of the (quite likely) possibility of trigger + cipher onto flying men, so our cruel edict above isn't cruel edict at all, it's actually a one sided barter in blood + a one sided abyss. No Wonder it cost 7!

Basically no spell ever becomes playable when it has to be balanced around happening, since it either gets overcosted into oblivion (see above) or just does nothing in the first place (voidwalk)

CML

Contributor
Cipher is impossible to balance and is therefore horrible, horrible design. I can't imagine how many mechanics R&D went through before settling on this one at the eleventh hour

Chris Taylor

Contributor
BladeDancer.jpg

I think I may have made a big mistake

Wind Chaser {2}{U}
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
Flash, flying
When Wind Chaser enters the battlefield draw 2 cards then discard 2 cards from your hand.
2/1

I think I may have made a big mistake

Wind Chaser {2}{U}
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
Flash, flying
When Wind Chaser enters the battlefield draw 2 cards then discard 2 cards from your hand.
2/1
big mistake, totally a faerie how many human wizards do you know that can fly

otherwise i like it a lot. perhaps a bit too good but something has to be good

Hedron Crab Decided to Be Fun {U}
Creature - Crab
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put the top three cards of your library your graveyard.
2/1

this is a drawback, right? also breakthrough is totally a fair card

Vortex Elemental {1}{R}{R}
Creature - Elemental Warrior
At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, Vortex Elemental deals 2 damage to that player.
If a player would gain life, that player gains no life instead.
1/1

how much worse is this than the real one? does this need to be a 2/1 or haste or something

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Sorin, Sangromancer {B}{B}
+1 Each player loses a life
-2 Target opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life
-7 Destroy all creatures. You gain life equal to the number of creatures destroyed this way.
2 Loyalty

Stupid?

Sorin, Sangromancer {B}{B}
+1 Each player loses a life
-2 Target opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life
-7 Destroy all creatures. You gain life equal to the number of creatures destroyed this way.
2 Loyalty
Both abilities don't effect the board in any way (can't even hit planeswalkers like daddy sorin), which in itself probably makes it too bad to play. The ultimate also isn't exactly the most desirable effect. Even Tibalt has a "you lose" ultimate. This is just a wrath. It's probably ok to just make it plague wind.

I think I'm going to start porting a bunch of old ideas over here during times when I should be reading about something current.
For now some dumb removal ideas:

Abomination (I know the name exists) {3}{B}
Instant (U)
Choose one - Destroy target non-black creature; or return target black creature from your graveyard to play.

Harm {1}{B}
Instant (U)
Destroy target creature with toughness 4 or less.

Sinking {2}{B}
Instant (U)
Creatures target player controls get -1/-1 until end of turn.
Swamp Cycling {2}

Word of Wilting {3}{B}
Instant (R)
Creatures get -3/-3 until end of turn.

(sinking and word of wilting could be combined or something)

Brittle Flesh {B}
Instant (U)
Target creature gets -1/-3 until end of turn.

(I know we can't all be as good as red at removal but maybe black can do part of what red cards do and something marginal as a bonus)

Ichor Flick {B}
Instant
Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature, it's controller loses 1 life.
Flashback {1} {B}

in fact i even remember said gay republican designing a nice cycle of wwk manlands that i will try to reproduce below:
izzet -- 1UR 2/4 {U/R} switch p/t til EOT
boros -- RW 1/1 double strike
orzhov -- 1WB 2/1 flying lifelink
golgari -- 2BG 3/3 deathtouch
simic -- 1GU 2/1 ophidian
i guess im going to attempt to use these

Planeswalkers by Lucas Childs

The Cheap Black Enabler:
Lorne, In Chains
mana1.gif
manab.gif

Planeswalker - Lorne (M)
[+1]: Sacrifice a creature if a creature was put into the graveyard this turn, draw a card.
[-2]: Draw a card then lose 2 life
[-4]: Target player sacrifices a creature, discards a card and loses 2 life.
[2HP]

The King of the Yard:
Lim-Dul, Returned
mana3.gif
manab.gif

Planeswalker - Lim-Dul (TS)
[+1]: Exile card in target player's graveyard, put a 2/2 black zombie token into play tapped.
[-1]: search target player's library for a card and put it into that player's graveyard.
[-X]: Each player sacrifices all creatures she controls with converted mana cost X.
[4HP]

The Big Baddie:
Kelorn, The Despoiler
mana2.gif
manab.gif
manab.gif

Planeswalker - Kelorn (M)
[+2]: Each player loses 2 life
[-4]: Destroy target creature or land, it cannot be regenerated.
[-X]: Target player loses X life and you gain X life.
[4HP]

The Sure Thing:
Tibalt, Lunatic
mana1.gif
manar.gif

Planeswalker - Tibalt
[+1]: Target creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
[-1]: Discard a card from your hand, then draw a card
[-7]: You gain an emblem that reads: "Sacrifice a permanent: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player."
[2HP]

So kelorn is probz a little nuts and Lim Dul is probably not good for some environments but not any better than say a scavenger goo. If I wanted to make Kelorn more reasonable I'd probably give him 3 hp.