General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Cult Leader (1)(w/b)(w/b)
Creature - Human Cleric (U)
Whenever Cult Leader enters the battlefield or dies put a 1/1 white cleric creature token into play.
"Visionary or martyr, these suckers will buy anything."
2/2

Seems interesting. Deffinitly seems more white than black though

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yixlid Warden {1}{U/B}
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Flying
Cards in graveyards lose all abilities.
2/1

Man, I love it, but that's probably not happening :(
{1}{U} 2/1 flying doesn't even exist yet (Desipite the fact that that is a damn crime), and I'm not sure it makes sense for there to be a blue grafdigger's cage.

CML

Contributor
in the old equipment thread i noticed that there was a huge gap between "meh equipment" and "op equipment," i feel the same about graveyard hate in cube, plus it's constrained by color stuff (though U gets counters), so the yixlid design to me is totally brilliant in context.

considering i'd like it for the environment of my cube, and currently blue feels like it needs the effect... design-wise I needed a card people would pick not just as a sideboard card.
is double hybrid really more fun?

the thing is that I want there to be plenty of graveyard interactions in my cube but I don't want to just horribly cripple them with relic of progenitus / rest in peace / etc
things like Vessel of Endless Rest are great

and yes, i'm making the flavor case for something like ovinize/turn to frog/snakeform. I've been trying to think up 'fair' graveyard hate that is maindeckable. and blue can already have a grafdigger's cage, it's called grafdigger's cage. and this is nowhere near as good of a hoser as cage.

another thought:
Elvish Visionary + Ground Seal {1}{G}
Creature - Elf Shaman
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Cards in graveyards can't be the targets of spells or abilities.
1/1

elvish visionary is already in my cube and is sort of meh, but it does get run

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Would an 0/3 ground seal be too good? I know I run wall of blossoms a lot more than I run Elvish Visionary.

The problem I have is that blue can make things lose abilities, but only creatures, as with Ovinize/snakeform/turn to frog etc.
It's probably enough black if it's {hybrid} {hybrid} that I think it'll pass.

Would an 0/3 ground seal be too good? I know I run wall of blossoms a lot more than I run Elvish Visionary.

The problem I have is that blue can make things lose abilities, but only creatures, as with Ovinize/snakeform/turn to frog etc.
It's probably enough black if it's {hybrid} {hybrid} that I think it'll pass.
personal reasons:
- aggro doesn't need more accidental hosing in my cube
- my cube has a light elves theme (elvish archdruid and imperious perfect)
- i want less board stalls (granted my cube isnt prone to them, but hopefully that means my design intent is showing?), walls can be part of the reason for board stalls
- walls have never struck me as particularly interesting/fun cards anyway. nobody has ever asked me "where's all the walls in this cube". the most feedback i've had is "is wall of denial in this cube?" "no" "ok i'll play your cube then"

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Same. While they were fun for a while, I'm starting to sour on the likes of Cloudgoat Ranger and Siege-Gang Commander. They tend to drag games out for twice as long as they should be, promote ground gridlock, and boost the archetype that is my mortal nemesis: midrange.

I think the occasional defensive blocker is ok, because control decks need a little something to stem the bleeding from an onslaught of attackers. But yeah, I'm really careful how I parcel out walls in each colour. At one point, I realized that having all of Sea Gate Oracle + Augur of Bolas + Spellskite + Baleful Strix simultaneously was a little annoying for aggro decks to punch through.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Weird, I think of walls more like oblivion ring, like removal you can interact with. I think it's just as frustrating to have your opponent chain doom blades back to back to back. Control their numbers just like you would any other hosing effect.

So do you guys just not run token decks? Or are all token generating effects the one per turn kind?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Weird, I think of walls more like oblivion ring, like removal you can interact with. I think it's just as frustrating to have your opponent chain doom blades back to back to back. Control their numbers just like you would any other hosing effect.

So do you guys just not run token decks? Or are all token generating effects the one per turn kind?

I don't have tokens as an archetype, no.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Most walls (and good blockers) in cube offer card advantage, though, or otherwise bring some utility to the table. And Doom Blades and O-Rings can be used equally well by aggro decks against pesky blockers, whereas fewer players are looking to pick up the 0/4 defender. This is why I've dialed back on the number of walls compared to previous iterations of my cube.

I'm going through an experiment where I'm trying my darnedest to make tokens be the most prevalent in green, to give that colour more of an identity. So my white token effects are down to the likes of Gather the Townsfolk, Midnight Haunting, and Emeria Angel (and Entreat the Angels, if you count that).

CML

Contributor
Bitterblossom has never been anything but mediocre in my Cube. I'm a little disappointed it's not better.

I think its power was inextricably tied to tribal synergies and if it made Brushwagg Archers it would have cost $2 forever

Lamest of my recent ideas:

Lose Touch 3UB
Instant (R)
Return all creatures to their owners hands.
Each opponent discards a card from his or her hand.

Another stupid idea:

Jealous Edict 1B
Instant
Target player sacrifices a creature with power 3 or greater.

Reactions: CML

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I dunno, it seems like WotC thinks even diabolic edict is too powerful now, what with devour flesh.

I think in constructed this would be a finely costed card, because edict have gone from an actualy type of removal to a stopgap for hexproof creatures, so this will hit real creatures, but non of the creatures you ever need to kill are big, they're all Geist of St Traft, or Invisible Stalker, or Slippery Boogle...
actually that last one is consistently pretty huge.
I think in a properly designed cube setting it should be a sorcery (or have some other downside), but likely released today it would be an instant (or not have that downside)

was this influenced by the loam thread? a shrouded monastery should obviously have shroud.

i was thinking of perhaps a cycle of cephalid coliseum/cabal pit duals but couldn't think of a full set of them.

golgari coliseum?
Land
{T}: Add {B} or {G} to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.
Threshold — {B}{G}, {T}, Sacrifice ~: Return target card in a graveyard to its owner’s hand. Activate this ability only if seven or more cards are in your graveyard.

CML

Contributor
I dunno, it seems like WotC thinks even diabolic edict is too powerful now, what with devour flesh.

I think in constructed this would be a finely costed card, because edict have gone from an actualy type of removal to a stopgap for hexproof creatures, so this will hit real creatures, but non of the creatures you ever need to kill are big, they're all Geist of St Traft, or Invisible Stalker, or Slippery Boogle...
actually that last one is consistently pretty huge.
I think in a properly designed cube setting it should be a sorcery (or have some other downside), but likely released today it would be an instant (or not have that downside)

yeahhhhh though innocent blood is played from time to time in Legacy.

geth's verdict is pretty sweet so diabolic edict isn't TOO far from being reprintable, though i hate double-color costs (unless it involves da merchant)

edit: devotion is pretty cool, isn't it? eventide lives on