General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Sounds fun, let's see...

"Magehunter"

1GR. creature- human warrior

2/3

Protection from blue.
Whenever an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell, Magehunter gets +2/+0 and menace until the end of turn.

"No more running. No more tricks. Now it's just you and me, Beleren."

Don't read too much into it. It's off the top of my head. I don't usually try to make cards. :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You're not going to find many fans of protection on these boards, unless it's temporary. That mechanic is pretty much the opposite of interactive magic. Why not "Magehunter can't be countered by spells or abilities" or "Opponents can't cast spells during your combat phase"?

That'd probably work better. I've never really had a hugely overwhelming dislike for protection (save for TNN, that abomination should never have been printed), but people do get funny about it. You're right though, it's not very interactive. I do like the idea of simply being uncounterable much better.

I've actually kind of come around on TNN in Legacy, where it's not even that good outside of equipment decks (which should play Lingering Souls instead imo). Uncounterable spells are cool though.

Yeah I play stoneblade and went from 2 to 3 to 1 to zero. Golgari Charm was pretty good for a while there!

Soorani thinks it's the right cut for Souls and i'm not gonna argue with my deck's champion.

The 'problem' with TNN is that tapping out for 3 mana in legacy is really rough depending on your meta, and not really something I feel comfortable doing. It's why I run stifle/bob BUG delver over Liliana/hym. (although that comes with it's own disadvantages, admittedly.)

Brimaz annoys me so much. It's that 4th point of toughness, man. I took my friend's Canadian Thresh deck to an IQ once, and it felt like I was getting beat by a standard card. Such a sweet card.

Aoret

Developer
Why not "Magehunter can't be countered by spells or abilities" or "Opponents can't cast spells during your combat phase"?
I do like the idea of simply being uncounterable much better.
Uncounterable spells are cool though.

Am I alone in my dislike of "uncounterable"? This could be blue bias showing, but I've really started feeling the same way about hexproof and uncounterable as I do about protection. All of them are forms of reduced interaction. I do on the other hand, like voice of resurgence, thalia, or possibly even grand abolisher style effects.

I played with Thrun a lot during Lotus Cobra - Jace, the Mind Sculptor - Primeval Titan standard, and it always felt super gross to me to play him with 1G up against control decks. I like winning and all, but man were those some shitty games of magic.

Am I alone in my dislike of "uncounterable"?

It's funny. I usually play blue decks, both in Legacy and Modern and if anything, it's made me appreciate uncounterable effects even more. When used properly, a card being uncounterable can really do a lot of good for a format. Look at Abrupt Decay in Legacy as a good example.

I think part of the issue is that the card I thought up just isn't very well balanced, and was not made for any specific purpose. Without purpose, there are many mechanics that seem to undermine the game, but do not in the proper environment. That's just my opinion.

...I should add that I do believe that there are certain 'toxic' mechanics that exist in this game of ours, but that's a different discussion.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Am I alone in my dislike of "uncounterable"? This could be blue bias showing, but I've really started feeling the same way about hexproof and uncounterable as I do about protection. All of them are forms of reduced interaction. I do on the other hand, like voice of resurgence, thalia, or possibly even grand abolisher style effects.

I played with Thrun a lot during Lotus Cobra - Jace, the Mind Sculptor - Primeval Titan standard, and it always felt super gross to me to play him with 1G up against control decks. I like winning and all, but man were those some shitty games of magic.
I don't think Thrun is a fair example at all, it's the hexproof and regeneration on that card that make it a noninteractive card. Kavu Chameleon, for example, was used as a card to foil countermagic in its day, but still could be dealt with once it hit the field. Uncounterability in and of itself is a sweet mechanic imho that makes sure blue can't rely on just one angle of dealing with an opponent's deck. It's cards like Blurred Mongoose, Abrupt Decay, Urza's Rage, Exquisite Firecraft and Loxodon Smiter that you should be looking to to evaluate the mechanic. I like it just as much as the semi-protection on Fiendslayer Paladin, because it makes you work without shutting you out. To me it's not an ability that says "fuck you, you can't deal with me", it's an ability that says "ok, here's a puzzle for you that you can't use your same old solution for, now get creative!"

Sounds fun, let's see...

"Magehunter"

1GR. creature- human warrior

2/3

Protection from blue.
Whenever an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell, Magehunter gets +2/+0 and menace until the end of turn.

"No more running. No more tricks. Now it's just you and me, Beleren."

Don't read too much into it. It's off the top of my head. I don't usually try to make cards. :p

You could take a page out of fiendslayer paladin's book and have "~ can't be the target of blue spells and abilities your opponent's control." It hoses most of what blue can do, but they can still meet you in the red zone.

I like it just as much as the semi-protection on Fiendslayer Paladin, because it makes you work without shutting you out. To me it's not an ability that says "fuck you, you can't deal with me", it's an ability that says "ok, here's a puzzle for you that you can't use your same old solution for, now get creative!"

Wow did not totally see that. Welp. Time for me to go back to lurking after saying something stupid again lol.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wow did not totally see that. Welp. Time for me to go back to lurking after saying something stupid again lol.
Actually, while I did draw comparisons with Fiendslayer Paladin, I didn't actual suggested to use its ability, so you brought something new to the discussion after all! Don't hide! ;)

A couple more ideas while I still have making white more dynamic stuck in my head and I'm enthused about a mechanic I hit before wizards.

Dutiful Son {1}{W}
Creature - Human Knight
Flash
{1}{W}, Exile Dutiful Son from your graveyard: Return a card with converted mana cost 1 or less from your graveyard to your hand.
Plains Cycing {2}
2/1

Village Hero {1}{W}
Creature - Human Knight
Lifelink?
{1}{W}, Exile Village Hero from your graveyard: Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 2 or less, reveal it and put it into your hand, shuffle etc.
Plains Cycing {2}
2/1

I guess I give my guys too many abilities sometimes but I'm honestly just trying to display a lot of different interactions and ways to enable styles of play.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm generally more a fan of recursion than tutoring, but I think it's weird for white to return Swords to Plowshares. I also think reanimating is more of a white thing than regrowing. How's "{2}{W}, exile ~: Return target permanent card with cmc 1 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield." sound?

Is there a difference between cards people post to The Lab and cards people post here? I've been primarily using the Lab because Taylor said something in this thread about how he'd given up on Hasbro printing cubeable cards or something, plus The Lab has a cooler name, but what are you folks using the respective threads for?

The cycle-and-exile option is pretty crazy good, and might mean they rarely get played as creatures. Unless I was forced to hardcast the hero by my own super-aggression or my opponent's, I'd be waiting to cycle him for a dual once I need the land or have the leftover mana.

Even late game paying 3W for fetch dual fetch goyf at instant speed might sound better than trying to get value out of a 2/1 before you can fetch the more useful CMC2 creature. It might be more of a creature card if it says, 'search your library for a white creature card' instead