Sets Shadows over Innistrad Spoilers Thread

I'd almost always rather have a spell in hand than in the graveyard. I think the original transform clause is much better.

declarationinstone.jpg

This looks pretty spicy! I can see it fitting in at most power levels. I like exile effects in white to help reign in the graveyard shenanigans so prevalent in my own cube, and I think it'll probably find its way into my list; I like that it's a strong answer to tokens while still providing a decent compensation in exchange for exiling a nontoken creature.

I'd almost always rather have a spell in hand than in the graveyard. I think the original transform clause is much better.

self-milling should be seen as equivalent to shuffling your library in my opinion, you're not skipping any draw steps or gaining any additional cards with either delver variant.

How much do we value self-milling? Kinda hard to evaluate, honestly.
shardofbrokenglass.jpg

It sucks. Shuko wasn't making any waves and it has no equip cost and fits in more decks - plenty of decks don't want to self-mill, and it can add a layer of complexity that is unnecessary for things like aggro decks with card selection tools. The self-mill decks also rarely, if ever, want an equipment piece, since they can generally get card selection and self-mill in one, and would prefer that package to one with some negligible offensive buff. Unless your environ is crafted around it, this card doesn't look like it belongs anywhere.

My initial impression of the new Avacyn:

Crazy cool; very strong. I think Baneslayer Angel may be a better card overall, but it's close.

Edit: There's a sacrifice theme in my cube, and she's a shoo-in.

tumblr_o3lg4rETJ11u9beo8o1_1280.png

I need time to process this. I'm in awe of how amazing and flavorlicious it is...
Wowzers, that is quite the card. A coupla things I love:

Can we appreciate that this is a (technically) RW legendary that doesn't seem solely purposed for turning sideways yay? Sure, it's a big beater, but it seems like a very unique angle with creature and board control in mind. It seems to favor punishing combat steps/saving all your hate-weenies and retribution if your doods die? Or you are the control deck and you have this instant speed wincon that can BW when your Augur dies? Sweet and cool compared to 3/3+ doublestriker or indestructible 7/7.

Synergies man.

(Firespout is because Avacyn turns your 'spout into an inferno, basically)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
That is a lot of stuff on that card. I'm afraid its going to play out like Restoration Angel did for me and for the exact same reasons.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The power level is just so high that the situational interesting plays feel bad, because why should a card whose baseline is so good also just sometimes randomly completely blow you out?

The power level is just so high that the situational interesting plays feel bad, because why should a card whose baseline is so good also just sometimes randomly completely blow you out?

I guess it depends on the cube's power level. Both Resto and this new Avacyn seem like they'd be fine in Legacy cube.

Edit: Right now I'm thinking that new Avacyn might replace Archangel of Thune in my cube. We'll see...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Well resto is fine but strong for me, so I'm going to give it a shot :p
I'm leaning towards replacing baneslayer angel or archangel of thune, but probably baneslayer

This new angel will replace archon of justice in my cube, i think that's justified (pun int... Sucked)

I'm also looking forward to try the investigate mechanism, seems so fine with my artifact theme :O~

I already run test subject. I'll probably be running both n ow. Might even cut a random 5+ drop for this. I love the shit out of designs like this, keep it coming Wizards. I can't believe how many cards in this set I'm already slotting in.

I'm not convinced this is a better card that test subject though. Subject wins topdeck wars and similarly super grindy games where this thing won't. Also, if you're holding a grip of counterspells and are even slightly behind on board, this might never flip where test subject would be inevitable. Test subject is also a pretty promo. :p

I am so freakin' amped for this thing in the ice.

I love the shit out of designs like this, keep it coming Wizards. I can't believe how many cards in this set I'm already slotting in.

Right there with you. Thankfully this isn't looking like another BFZ... I haven't been disappointed with a card yet!