Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I like both, Necromancy is a very versatile spell that plays well in combo, value and control decks, while victimize goes a longer way to supporting the value / combo decks and will even find its way into zombie aggro.

3 mana is such a sweet spot for reanimation as long as you aren't letting it get too whacky. Good removal goes a long way to making reanimator decks feel fairer too. Though, I gotta say, Overseer of the Damned coming down early scares the poop outta me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is jumping through a bunch of hoops making reanimator more interesting and reasonable? The way i see that card, it's only really gonna be worth while if what you are bringing back is really gonna fuck someone up. Like you probably aren't playing that card happily in a value reanimator deck.

Do you guys really have such a problem with necromancy? I guess hitting your opponent's yard is kinda rough. There's gotta be another way guys.

Not at all. In fact, Necromancy is by far my favorite reanimation spell. I love it so much, there was a time I doubled up on it. Most powerful reanimator spells are a bit too fast. I don't mind a single copy of the fair and versatile Life // Death, but adding Reanimate, Exhume and Animate Dead as well makes for a reanimation suite that is a bit too cutthroat for my tastes, whereas four mana and up means the reanimation suite gets a bit watered down in power.

Is jumping through a bunch of hoops making reanimator more interesting and reasonable? The way i see that card, it's only really gonna be worth while if what you are bringing back is really gonna fuck someone up. Like you probably aren't playing that card happily in a value reanimator deck.

Do you guys really have such a problem with necromancy? I guess hitting your opponent's yard is kinda rough. There's gotta be another way guys.

It's not that I don't like Necromancy, I do. What I like even more is useless fluff and some weird pieces of flavour that might make sense only to me, screw the design principles, I'm making a cube that is thematic, and I want this sort of cool thing in it, because it oozes flavour in a way that a simple "fatty back into play, you ded" doesn't. That's why I like Soul Exchange, or Stitch Together. Life//Death is pretty cool as well, and things like Unburial Rites also manages to get a lot of flavour in just because of the W cost in the flashback. I don't know where this rant is going, but it isn't in a power max direction, that's for sure.
But yeah, for me, jumping through hoops makes reanimator more interesting.

I just feel like your drafters will quickly learn that whatever they get back from the graveyard has to be really good to justify having put it into the graveyard and then spent 2 more cards at sorcery speed to get it out of there, and it will probably only be used to get scary motherfuckers out, as opposed to making sweet games we tend to favor these days involving reanimation for it's card advantage / grindy potential.

I rather like stitch together actually, it's really cool if you support it. Why do you feel like it is more flavorful than necromancy anyway @Jonas?

Speaking of flavor, I had a lot of fun with this card in peasant recently:

I've made like a million of these +cards raise deads too.
I really can't wait for another round of exploit, cycling, channel, evoke etc to start seeing more places creatures and raise dead based strategies can be pushed.
(I did used to play a spore frog disturbed burial PEZ deck lol)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Not the dredge list with Tortured Existence? Man, that deck was sweet. "I pay {B} and discard this Golgari Brownscale in my hand to return the one in my graveyard, gain 2 life. Oh hey, I got five more Swamps!" Crypt Rats and Spore Frogs protect you against creature attacks, big Eldrazi and, again, Crypt Rats win you the game :)

Ugh I hate that deck. Shutting someone out with spore frog recycles has got to be the lamest way to win the game.

Though you can thankfully just burn the thing EOT.

I just feel like your drafters will quickly learn that whatever they get back from the graveyard has to be really good to justify having put it into the graveyard and then spent 2 more cards at sorcery speed to get it out of there, and it will probably only be used to get scary motherfuckers out, as opposed to making sweet games we tend to favor these days involving reanimation for it's card advantage / grindy potential.

I rather like stitch together actually, it's really cool if you support it. Why do you feel like it is more flavorful than necromancy anyway @Jonas?

Speaking of flavor, I had a lot of fun with this card in peasant recently:
Hah, jokes on you, I never draft my cube, only theorize about it.
At the moment I don't run any reanimation, and not really any fatties either, at least nothing bigger then Tombstalker. The cubes I have now are pretty slow and lumbering things that doesn't much care that the reanimation is sorcery speed.
Necromancy is about as flavourful as animate dead, as in break the spell (enchantment) and the raised thing dies. Something like soul exchange has a cost to it that goes beyond just mana, which is a flavour that I like.

I've run a lot of reanimator flavors. It's a favorite over here.

There are several knobs you can turn on this. Cheap reanimate effects like exhume, even reanimate can work (and not be OP) if the pool of fatties is kept in check and you run quality removal. There's a big difference between reanimating Kokusho, the Evening Star versus Griselbrand or even Grave Titan. So what you play on the high end will influence how your reanimation suite plays.

I tend to prefer the more synergistic spells as well. Unburial rites is great because it works well with discard. Dread Return because of the flashback that you can exploit in the right deck. Necromancy is an absolute blast in multiplayer because of the any graveyard clause. I could write a book on all the busted (in a fun way) things people have done with that card in multiplayer. I've never tried stitch together, but I think I might because it looks like a great effect in a heavy graveyard deck.

CML

Contributor

You know, I took out goblin bombardment for being too good, but I never considered if I wanted a worse version.
Thoughts?

way too bad imo. i dunno how to make a balanced version but this isn't it. 2R on bombardment is my best idea.

torrent of souls is obviously dope