Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Akroma's vengenace cycles and has a cool foil.
It's 5 mana but the new awaken wrath seems fun and is modal.
Oh and don't forget sunblast angel, she's kinda sorta like a not-as-good phyrexian rebirth.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Has anyone been paying attention to this UB aristocrats deck? Its big trick is using sidisi's faithful as a repeated sac. outlet with ETB effects and death triggers.

I'm wondering if this isn't what I've been looking for in terms of higher power U/B identity. Black has bad aggressive two drops, but good aristocrat two drops, and adding exploit creatures gets around the issue of having overly aggressive one drops or poor sac. outlets. Meanwhile, it may solve everyones blue low drop problem, by changing the focus of cheap blue creatures away from a standard they can never meet (pure aggressiveness) towards one they may be able to meet (sacrifice synergy).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone been paying attention to this UB aristocrats deck? Its big trick is using sidisi's faithful as a repeated sac. outlet with ETB effects and death triggers.

I'm wondering if this isn't what I've been looking for in terms of higher power U/B identity. Black has bad aggressive two drops, but good aristocrat two drops, and adding exploit creatures gets around the issue of having overly aggressive one drops or poor sac. outlets. Meanwhile, it may solve everyones blue low drop problem, by changing the focus of cheap blue creatures away from a standard they can never meet (pure aggressiveness) towards one they may be able to meet (sacrifice synergy).

By repeated sac-outlet, you mean, sac a creature, bounce sidisi's faithful, right? Other than Blood Artist and threaten effects, how are we getting value out of that in Cube?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Grim haruspex, new lil, that diregraf captain, skirsdag high priest etc.

I could probably go on, but I feel like good death trigger cards (even at higher power) aren't rare in cube. It also has good cross-over with delve in UB, or unearth creatures with ETBs.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Grim haruspex, new lil, that diregraf captain, skirsdag high priest etc.

I could probably go on, but I feel like good death trigger cards (even at higher power) aren't rare in cube. It also has good cross-over with delve in UB, or unearth creatures with ETBs.

I guess... of those cards the only one I have in my current cube is New Liliana. I could see an environment, but we'd really have to go all-in on cards that require death, and then we start to partition our design space a bit too much for my liking.

You say you could probably go on. Please do so. :) I'd like to see the complete range of options, because right now I am lacking in imagination.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
You don't really have to go very deep. You have two blood artist effects, new lil, high priest, and haruspex; all of which are cards that are currently being played, or have seen play in riptide enviorns. It folds in neatly with the existing black sac. package, so not much boat rocking there. There is ample incidental support with evoke creatures, delve, and everything else black does with the yard, especially with us moving more towards value reanimator. I'm not sure you even need to change the black section to accommodate: its already been built towards this because of the B/R crawler decks.

The challenge is providing enough blue incentive, which shouldn't be too bad with some singleton breaking. You have chasm skulker, new jace, silumgar sorcerer, sidis' faithful, evoke creatures, whirler rogue. There also are all of those illusion creatures maybe (lol phantasmal bear being a thing?). As well as the sac. counter tempo creatures like spiketail hatchling or cursecatcher. I'm not sure its even really a cost to experiment with it, giving how empty most blue 1-2cc creature sections feel.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Its not that you want to sac it, its that its an easy death trigger.

I have G/B decks in the penny cube that work around death triggers, and basically just anything thats G/B and likely to die works in the deck: fading, tokens, sacrifice creatures, evoke, cheap death touch cards.

And thats all that you really need from blue: cheap semi-aggressive cards that contributing to generating value in that sort of critical mass.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, creatures that are going to work with a death trigger plan: sac. outlets, sac targets, token makers, and creatures that die.

The problem with black 2s and blue 1-2s is that there aren't many individually powerful cards, so it makes sense to look at synergy based strategies.

Black and blue coincidentally also has some really good one-two cmc non-creature spells. So it still has room for just the good stuff. I'm intrigued by the idea, if it's doable it seems to glue together a hole on a really sleek way.